My 150g Mixed Reef Tank. New Pics!

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it'd be a good idea to document my build process since this will be a long journey. I come from having some sort of salt water aquarium for most of the last 17 years, and if I include freshwater, I've always had some sort of tank around. That being said, my old 50g reef wasn't huge, but it was a thriving SPS/LPS tank.

This time, I decided to go bigger. I found a 150 gal on sale, and even though I've always wanted a 180+, I figure this tank is a good start.

I also have a 20 gal cube already up for years that has mushrooms in it. Recently lost the last inhabitants in, but It's going strong other than that. That tank will become a seahorse tank connected to the sump of the 150. Or at least a separate ecosystem than the high flow display.

Equipment thus far:
Giesemann Spectra 60" w/ 2 14K MH and 4 80w T5s
SCA 150g glass aquiarum. Herbie Overflow with central return
DIY Stand (still in progress)
2x Ecotech MP40s on right side
Ecotech Vectra L2 w/ random flow generator nozzles Closed Loop on left side
Apex
Apex COR20 for return
Apex DOS
ASM G2 Skimmer with re-circ mod Octo Regal 200INT (I think it's too big)
Trigger System Platinum 39
Dual 300 watt heaters with controller
Tunze Osmolator ATO
2" Sand Bed
~100 lbs rock, negative space so total rock may be more or less

Planned:

Reeflo Barracuda
more dosing pumps
Tunze RO/DI system

The Stand's Skeleton. Will wrap it in Walnut with side panels removable and doors in front. Just need to buy router bits for panel doors.

1641495586936.jpeg

Stand Sealed and top on. Bottome panel and back panels next
1641495933886.jpeg

The tank, just waiting for its' time to get on the stand. Took me a month to fully remove the box it was in.
1641495970029.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Excited to watch this come together!

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!

The sump arrived today! I can finally start putting the pieces together for the plumbing.

I'm trying to convince myself to convert my herbie overflow to a bean-animal so that part is still pending. I'll be able to layout my PVC piece needs in a drawing so I can finally buy all the materials.

This is one of my favorite parts so I'm going to make a manifold that primarily pumps through the UV with a bypass for any media reactors, each with a valve. Any flow that is above the 179 gph to the UV with go through the bypass after it has had a chance to go through the media reactor part. Any advice on making sure I dont' mess this up is always appreciated :)

Lighting..... Lighting is giving me a headache. I can't find the pendant that can use 2x400w halides with 4xT5s, or something like that. AT least not a really good looking one. So now I'm thinking about the Kessil A500X (2 of them with a 360 in the middle).

Trigger System Platinum 39 in it's box.
1642190357950.png

This thing is built well. It fits my modified ASM G2 nicely. Obviously I'll mess with the baffle to get a larger refugium, but it's spacious!
1642190402287.png

the mockup under the tank (seen from the back). I'll have room for my Ca Reactor and a couple external pumps if I still go that route.
1642190440193.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AH! I can't find the exact lighting setup I want. This is terrible! Specifically the lack of 60" options.

Giesemann Spectra SE Metal Halide/T5 Fixture 60" (single ended bulbs) is the only one I like thats 60"

I wish I could find the Giesemann Infinity model (DE bulbs) in 60" I don't think anyone imports them. But its' on their main site

Does anyone think the 48" version would suffice over a 60" x 24" x 24" tank? I'll have 500w of halides and 216w of T5s. The 60" version has 500 watts of Halide and 320w of T5s. part of me thinks a 48" might work?

I've also looked at the Hamilton 60" MH and I can get that with 250w or 400w, but it only comes with 2 x 80wT5s, whereas I kind of want the 4 x 80ws.

I'm now wondering if I should just slap a couple Kessils on there and be done with it ::sigh::

Until then, I'm waiting on my UV filter to do the plumbing, but that

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, So here's the deal. UV and CL pump not available, so I'm currently just waiting. In the meantime, I'm drilling my tank for a CL as soon as the hardware arrives. I wanted this build up with water by end of month, but that's not going to happen.

I think I need help/advice from someone familiar with CL on larger systems to ensure I have enough flow w/o compromising anything. My last CL was on a 50g and it was an Iwaki with one outlet that worked amazing.

Please ignore my use of MS Paint for this, buuuut... only way I have to get it from my head to something tangible.
Tank is 60" x 24" x 24"

- I plan to use TWO eductors on the outlets for the 1 1/2" CL return so there will be flow across the 24" width

Here's my dilema:

I want TWO pumps (Super Darts) so if one fails, I do not lose flow. But having a 2" inlet is HUGE so my other option is putting in one Barracuda/Hammerhead that will pull water from both inlets and push to both outlets. I'm not sure if I want to do that. A pump that size might be too loud? Or at the very least a single point failure.

1643306851271.png

1643307225510.png

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone thing this won't work? I also might need to change the educators to like 2x 1" or 2x 3/4" on each outlet? I might add an MP10 or 2 to the back for turbulence too. Just all over the place with this setup.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY got to work on this beast of a project. had a couple of budget issues, but the UV is here and I started rough plumbing of the main drain/return. Also ran a RO/DI line from my garage to behind the tank for easy access to it.

I might put the UV on a CL and have two 1/2" output used to keep flow in the lower back of the tank on each side of the overflow. This tends to be a low flow zone, so this will help plus keep the UV on it's own loop so I can dial in the flow. Primary goal is to plumb it into the return with a bypass so I can control the flow through it. Still undecided.

Still waiting for Reeflo pump availability, and I might just do one side on the CL and put a Gyre on the other at this pace.

1645216665462.png

1645216708710.png
1645216753050.png

1645216789731.png

I'm out of town next week, but when I get back, I'll be drilling the tank and making the plumbing permanent. and once the plywood backing is affixed, I can plumb the CL even if I have to wait for a pump to attach it to. I'm hoping to have water in it by early March.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some updates, I drilled my tank only to make a mistake. But all is well now. I personally think I still drilled it too low, but here's a link to the fiasco:

As a side note, things have been on hold budget-wise since our new kitchen was a bit over the top..... I've started up again. I'll be making the plumbing finishing touches before I cement it.

Also, I realized I HATE aqua scaping, lol.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very frustrated today. I finally got some more PVC and starting rough plumbing. I have NO clue how to put my UV sterilizer into my system. It's SO huge. . . I really don't want to lay it sideways since I still have to access it to clean it... I'll also need different ball valves for it so the plumbing costs are rising. I really want my UV in a closed loop, so I might add a second closed loop for it.

The aquascape is also frustrating me, but now i have a frame to build it inside. I'm not creative most of the time! But at least I'm making progress.

1649345820058.png

1649345836301.png

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks beautiful.
you don't think it's too far inside the side of the tank? Its' bugging me for some reason.

I think I'm redoing the plumbing off the closed loop anyway so I can put it through my UV. I just think at that point my 3100 gph will be thrashed. Might have to get a Dragon Speedy 3 230 watt.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't think it's too far inside the side of the tank? Its' bugging me for some reason.

I think I'm redoing the plumbing off the closed loop anyway so I can put it through my UV. I just think at that point my 3100 gph will be thrashed. Might have to get a Dragon Speedy 3 230 watt.
I didn't want to come across as critical because I love the idea. You could reduce the length into the tank and the complexity by replacing the second tee with this Spears 807-010 fitting. I am assuming that this is 3/4x1/2 inch.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to come across as critical because I love the idea. You could reduce the length into the tank and the complexity by replacing the second tee with this Spears 807-010 fitting. I am assuming that this is 3/4x1/2 inch.

It's 1" reduced to 3/4 for the outlets, but I DO like the idea of NOT having a cap on the end. I think I'll definitely make that happen.

And I appreciate any advice at this point. I haven't plumbed a system in like....... 16 years so I'm trying to see it from all angles.

But I do fear this Vectra might not be enough if I plumb in the UV. I'll be able to test it, but it would suck to just have that pump lying around if I have to get a bigger one.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... Hard plumbing got cemented in......... and it ended up being a disaster. Two bulkheads were leaking and i have to completely rebuilt the drain lines and buy extra fittings for the sump connections because I screwed it up..... Sorry this isn't a fun update, but it's for posterity.

Rock Structure is coming together slowly but surely.
1651006610602.png

1651006569366.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh... Hard plumbing got cemented in......... and it ended up being a disaster. Two bulkheads were leaking and i have to completely rebuilt the drain lines and buy extra fittings for the sump connections because I screwed it up..... Sorry this isn't a fun update, but it's for posterity.

Rock Structure is coming together slowly but surely.
1651006610602.png

1651006569366.png
Scape is taking good shape!

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow, it's been a while. I had that "minor" plumbing mishap I ignored for a month. But then I was eager to set up the sump to move my rock into it that I've been marinating for the last 90+ days.

I re-did the plumbing as cheap as possible so with a few on hand hose barbs and tubing, It works. Once I leak test the rest of the tank, I'll switch my return pump to the tank instead of just looped in the sump.

Fuge light will eventually be the one pictured here (it's only on for pics). Filling the main tank up to the closed loop intake. After that I will check the stand for stability and reinforce if needed, as well as any shifting of the whole thing. I can always re-fill.

I still haven't seen my Lighting Fixture I ordered back at the end of February, but guess I don't need it for another couple months once I get my aquascape in.

1654551963001.png

1654552000316.png

1654552037389.png

1654552079728.png

1654552242047.png

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is finally up and running. I had a couple leaks, but they were on threaded components, so it was 'easy' to fix. I still need to buy powerheads for the right side (2x MP40s or MP10s depending probably).

The Vectra L2 pumps a LOT of water through my educator nozzles so I'm super happy about that.

I will add my skimmer to the sump soon after the water clears up from the sand a bit. Only 1/2 the sand is added as I need to finish my aquascape. Only the right 1/2 is near done. I've been slackin!

Next big step is the add a faceframe to the stand and make the removable walls on the right/left side and then cabinet doors in the front. But at least now I can really kickstart the cycle.

1655219810745.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back