My 2 YO YELLOW TANG DEAD SUDDENLY

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody.

My yellow quenn has passed away this morning suddenly. I wonder really why? I loved her really much. What I did latelty is that Till last week I have not add any new fish to my tank for last 6 months. However, I decided to add a couple bangai cardinal fish and a talbot’s damsel from my LFS. I did QT to new fishes with microfish drug for 3 days. Then I add them to my tank. On first morning one of the cardinal fish has died. And last night my yellow was quite normal eating well and swimming around until this morning.
So I really wonder what could be the reason is?
my tank is 90g.
ı have 2 blue tangs, 2 clown fishes and one cardinal fish now.

thanks for your opinionsz

Attachments

• IMG_5140.MOV
    5.5 MB

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this. I have not QT’d ever in my 15 years, but for those that do, I think they’ll tell you your QT/pre-treatment was not long enough. Sounds like you may have introduced something nasty as evidenced by the death of not just the tang, but of one of the new additions.

I’m gonna bow-out of this thread but will be watching as I’m sure some of the QT/pre-treat experts will weigh in.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank lot of big tangs, aggression can develop as fish get larger. Also 3 days is not really an adequate length of time for any QT protocol, so could be a disease issue, flukes can take a while to develop to problematic levels, but other diseases can come in on corals and other things. I don’t see any glaring signs of disease from the attached video but not all have obvious outward signs.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank lot of big tangs, aggression can develop as fish get larger. Also 3 days is not really an adequate length of time for any QT protocol, so could be a disease issue, flukes can take a while to develop to problematic levels, but other diseases can come in on corals and other things. I don’t see any glaring signs of disease from the attached video but not all have obvious outward signs.
Thank you for your reply, What could be the adequate QT length? I added corals during last 5 months however I always used my dip solution( I'm not sure if kills flukes or parasites). So far, the blue tangs and clown fishes seems fine. and no sign of ich.
It just feels sad. that losing a life that you spent effort.
I will try to cover fish with resin. Do u have any idea how to ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, What could be the adequate QT length? I added corals during last 5 months however I always used my dip solution( I'm not sure if kills flukes or parasites). So far, the blue tangs and clown fishes seems fine. and no sign of ich.

Typically 30 days is the QT protocol.

Copper for 30

Or copper for 14 then transfer to clean tank and monitor for 2 weeks

Hybrid TTM for 2 weeks then monitor for 30 days..

Put the fish in with a freshwater molly that you acclimate to salt and monitor for 30 days..

Tons of stickies on it for you to read.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depends on the QT protocol, some Chemoprophylactic protocols can be as short as 2 weeks, most are at least a month, some go as long as 90days. I generally go around 6-8 weeks.

Dips do not eliminate ich, I am not sure about flukes but I would be surprised if a dip did anything for them. Many people practice coral and invert QT to avoid both coral and fish diseases.

I don’t know about fish taxidermy butI am sure there are many resources out there for it

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody.

My yellow quenn has passed away this morning suddenly. I wonder really why? I loved her really much. What I did latelty is that Till last week I have not add any new fish to my tank for last 6 months. However, I decided to add a couple bangai cardinal fish and a talbot’s damsel from my LFS. I did QT to new fishes with microfish drug for 3 days. Then I add them to my tank. On first morning one of the cardinal fish has died. And last night my yellow was quite normal eating well and swimming around until this morning.
So I really wonder what could be the reason is?
my tank is 90g.
ı have 2 blue tangs, 2 clown fishes and one cardinal fish now.

thanks for your opinionsz

Sorry for your loss

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone qt should be no rush and last as long as it has too to make sure everyone is happy and healthy. Lately for me I’m doing 30 days copper and 30 days observation

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others nailed it. QT for 3 days isn't nearly long enough. Sounds like new additions brought something into DT. Hope the rest make it. I wouldn't go any less than 30. Personally I do 72-90 days in QT.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s important to consider why you are QTing, in determining how long is appropriate. If it’s to eliminate any possible disease, some people quarantine for up to 3 months. If it’s just to help them strengthen from shipping/transport and acclimate, a few weeks can be enough. Or you can not QT at all.

Different people have different levels of risk tolerance and philosophies, which leads to different approaches. The same could be said about pretty much anything else in the hobby.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all replies, What I learned from that is never act quick in this hobby and learn from your old mistakes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back