OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture of the zoas. do you guys know what zoas are these?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-02 at 07.58.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-02 at 07.58.56.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 80

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd have to agree with TJ here..
even though a month is enough for nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria to colonize the rocks and bio media if you use them, it would take a whole lot longer to develop good biological filtration.
my 30 gallon is 2ish months old and is just now starting to develop a good microfauna population, and i started with rock that was already colonised with bacteria. while fish may survive in new tanks, it won't be that good for them.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not rastas i would also say rainbow infusion.

even though a month is enough for nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria to colonize the rocks and bio media if you use them, it would take a whole lot longer to develop good biological filtration.
my 30 gallon is 2ish months old and is just now starting to develop a good microfauna population, and i started with rock that was already colonised with bacteria. while fish may survive in new tanks, it won't be that good for them.
also i agree definitely take your time with stocking or you'll have the same result as the first

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is about one year old but the tank crashed one month ago. did a 50% water change, added bacteria starter and sand. decided to add fish last week and its doing well. just added zoas yesterday and it has already fully opened up. I'll see how it goes. thanks for the feedback.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that it's technically a year old doesn't mean much anymore since it crashed meaning all the progress on building up beneficial bacteria has been killed off significantly. zoas opening is not an indication of progress on the cycle

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that it's technically a year old doesn't mean much anymore since it crashed meaning all the progress on building up beneficial bacteria has been killed off significantly. zoas opening is not an indication of progress on the cycle
Ok. I think I'm going to see how the hi fin goby and the zoas do first so I'll probably stop adding fish or corals for about 2 weeks.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I'm going to see how the hi fin goby and the zoas do first so I'll probably stop adding fish or corals for about 2 weeks.
Perfect, good plan

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the tank is looking good! Zoas are growing. Hi fin goby is doing well. There is a lot of algae on the glass but I don't know what type of algae it is. It looks like grass and it swings side to side with the current.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what I should do about the algae?
Scrape it off before it gets to that length.
If you're getting a significant amount of algae, check your phosphates, nitrates and lighting. As far a lighting, you may need to adjust your schedule, as well as how much white, red and green light.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the tank is looking good! Zoas are growing. Hi fin goby is doing well. There is a lot of algae on the glass but I don't know what type of algae it is. It looks like grass and it swings side to side with the current.
Sounds like hair algae. Exactly what I have. There’s no “getting rid of it”, really only keeping it to a minimum. Best solution is doing daily/weekly glass cleanings, scraping off every last bit.

Back