My 2020 tank build. Starting with planning.

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be upgrading in 2020. I’m starting now, and I mean at the the very beginning. With tank size and manufacturer. I believe I’ve settled on 170-180 gallons. And I know that I want AI prime lighting. That’s it! Rest is a clean slate.

I’m consider water box, DD Reef Pro, and Red Sea Reefer.

I hired a contractor to run lines from the room where the tank will be down to the water entry in the basement. So that infrastructure will be there.

I’ll update as I purchase / plan etc. but am more than open to opinions on tank, or anything else!

Since it’s a new project I’m showing off some of my favorite coral pics from my very first reef tank, aqua top 40G.

E465E4DA-8912-4110-B741-479EE885E522.jpeg CF902B16-9EA3-402B-A4CD-D4B7BF96017B.jpeg 34A89E98-23F8-4B47-B72C-F4309E74C74A.jpeg A8522FBD-4390-4211-AC1E-082C8C2008C3.jpeg 1368FCEA-83CF-4539-9065-A13A30CEFE38.jpeg

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, slow and steady wins the race. Any reason your going with ai primes instead of larger fixtures like hydras?

One of the reasons I made this build thread is to make sure I don’t make mistakes. It looked like I could do 3 prime or 2 hydra. Seemed cost effective and easier to replace if issues Should I use the hydras instead?

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I made this build thread is to make sure I don’t make mistakes. It looked like I could do 3 prime or 2 hydra. Seemed cost effective and easier to replace if issues Should I use the hydras instead?

It just depends on the type of corals, the dimensions of the tank you end up with and the number of fixtures you are planning to purchase. BRS did an investigates with the prime HD and found that you can indeed have sps under enough primes. Plus the increased number of primes provides better spread.

I currently have 2 on a 20 long (30"x12"x12") running the BRS AB+ spectrum at 50% and it is more than enough for the softies, lps and few pieces of montipora and pocillopora I currently have in there. I'll eventually get around to getting par readings but everything seems happy

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on the type of corals, the dimensions of the tank you end up with and the number of fixtures you are planning to purchase. BRS did an investigates with the prime HD and found that you can indeed have sps under enough primes. Plus the increased number of primes provides better spread.

I currently have 2 on a 20 long (30"x12"x12") running the BRS AB+ spectrum at 50% and it is more than enough for the softies, lps and few pieces of montipora and pocillopora I currently have in there. I'll eventually get around to getting par readings but everything seems happy

This was super helpful. Thank you! My plan is to stick to LPS and soft in the tank. As years go by I may make adjustments to SPS, I just know I’m too new to this to manage them and don’t want to be careless with SPS lives lol

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I completely changed gears. And have firmed up much of my planning.

I’m going to be building a seahorse tank with a *

You’ll find the * in the stocking section, and I have solicited TONS of opinions. Online, Facebook groups, And I’ve decided to give it a try with confidence that I can make it work for me and the animals.

Here is what I have so far

Tank
Red Sea reefer XL-425 - 88G display 47” long
With built in ATO and 24G sump
2x AI Hydra 32 HD
2x VorTech MP 40
Reefer skimmer 600
Still figuring out refugium

Live rock, live sand and clean up crew from Tampa Bay Saltwater package.

Livestock
4 or 6 seahorse pairs. TBD
Mandarin
Purple tang. *
I know this is ill advised. But I have an amazing purple tang now, and he’ll need room as he grows. I believe as 1 of 2 fish 90 gallons and 4 ft in length will be good for him. He’s super laid back, I’ve never seen him harass a single fish, even the hogfish I put in after him. He’s a slow deliberate, curious swimmer. I’ll be hand/turkey baster feeding the horses, so I’m not worried about food competition that the horses would never win.

Coral
TBD - further research here. Coral that will work in a slightly cooler tank with less flow. And obviously won’t sting or harm the horses.

I still have a lot of research and planning to do, but I just placed the order for the tank, so we’re moving!

I’m open to all advice, criticism etc etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back