My 20L - i would fit a kitchen sink if i could

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is just over a year old with a combination of two 10gals being retired to fill it. Bare bottom, except for a handful of CC I'm still trying to shovel out.

I keep 3 damsels for bioload and a couple turbos without much to do. I learned a long time ago to feed up to nutrient levels and vs resort to having to fuss to reduce them. No skimmer...they just suck air. I have to over feed to keep nitrate around 10. Phosphate fertilizer is dosed to keep it from bottoming. I target around .05. Montipora eat up phosphate like crazy. No water changes. They just strip nutrients. I blast the tank once a week with a $40 ozone generator. Keeps the water crystal.

With such a dense load of SPS in a small tank automatic dosing doesn't work because tank params shift too quickly. Closing my windows and running AC for a day can cut alk depletion in half. Back when I kept bigger tanks this wasn't an issue. With a 20gal a change in solar activity or a trunk driving by screws with alk depletion. All wet test kits.

Still, everything grows crazy. I'm normally not a fan of acros in a small tank because of consistency and competition reasons, but some frags I have in back appear to be doing well. If they take off its their tank.

I just brought a 5 gal bucket of montipora to the local reef shop, so right now its actually thinned out. Won't last though. I also spend penny's on tank.

The zoa garden on the left side grows bonkers and hammers nitrate. When they over grow their platform i just sell them for a nice sum and try something else.
20210612_182501.jpg

20210612_182557.jpg

20210612_175614.jpg

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice!

If you don’t do water changes and you don’t dose, how do you replenish what your coral use up?

OP
OP
B

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't auto dose..I manually dose :)

Slight changes in room pH throw off my alk consumption by a huge amount in such a small tank, and I mean extreme,, so I put my auto dose pump away to keep my sanity. I manually dose nightly and whatever my alk dose is I replicate with calcium. I was never anticipating this tank to grow that crazy. Plus, I like to push the wall getting as much growth as possible from such simple gear to get a better signal to noise in this hobby. Trust me. There's aot of noise.

I've been playing with adding some tap water in my topoffs as pure experiment. This actually improved my zoa coloring quite a bit which I suspect is from silicate or iron being replenished.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back