OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I noticed that it isn't covered. Do you have any plans for predators like shore birds? Do you anticipate rain water causing salinity fluctuations?
The system has been up and running for 6 months and the rain hasnt been a problem. The system is 2/3rd covered and the amount of rain that falls in doesn’t cause big salinity drops. I monitor salinity daily and after severe rains I do have to add salt. This fall was an exception since we went through hurricane Ian and Nicole which dropped 10” and 6” of rain (respectively) in 24hrs.

I will be monitoring the situation for predators. The sides of the pond drop straight down so the main concern would be a pelican. But water birds normally dont like to go under a roof since it limits their escape route and in this case they would only have one route to fly in and out. If I have to put a net over until the fish/sharks get big I will do that. I will not be putting any expensive fish in the tide pool since that would be too easy for shore birds.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded filtration pics and a video. The system is fairly simple. There are two 2hp pumps feeding the system. One pulls from the two pond skimmers (not protein skimmer) and one pulls from the four bottom drains. The bottom drains go through a prefilter and then into the main filter. The skimmers go directly into the main filter. After the main filter the water does through a polishing filter and finally through the UV sterilizers. The equipment room has plenty of room to add more items in the future. For now the filtration is way more than enough for the system.

Album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9UUKSju5T47BiFH6

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the tank?
A few things have changed since November. I will upload some pics and videos this weekend.

Filtration - I decided to separate the single filter system into 2 filter systems so if one is down I have another one running. I upgraded the pumps from 1.5hp to 2.5hp. Each system has a pump, bead filter, UV and a heat exchanger.

Previously I had a natural gas heat exchanger system for heat. It worked ok when we got in the 30’s but I wanted more capacity. So I added 2 heat pump units from AquaCal. They are heaters and chillers.

Marine Life. I still have the 8 bamboo sharks 2 groupers, and half dozen grunts. The tide pool area is the same also with the anenomes, crabs, starfish and snails

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent inhabitants are a shovelnose guitarfish and a bat ray. I will be trimming the bat ray barb every couple months as a precaution when we scuba inside.

In the floating cage are 3 gold/black pilot fish. They are 4-5” and I have them in the cage to protect them from the 10” emperor snapper(he runs the tank) until they get bigger and the snapper gets used to them.

I feed every 2-3 days with a combination of talapia, scallops, and whole uncleaned shrimp.

Chemistry note: with the size of the tank water changes were out of the question and I wanted to rely on plants to take up the nitrates/phosphates. My plan of chaeto and mangroves has now worked as my nitrates stay around 2ppm and phosphates < 1. . I have mangroves in the pond. I have chaeto and mangroves in the tide pool/stream section.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! My dream tidepool - for reals!! Some local Florida's/carribean fish would be cool in both (assuming they don't get eaten). Royal grammas, queen angel, French angles, altantic blue tang, etc . Can't believe your nitrates are so low with messy big fishes but those macros works. Keep up the awesome work!

Fyi: the last link of the "smoothhound" worked for me. Other links didn't work

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! My dream tidepool - for reals!! Some local Florida's/carribean fish would be cool in both (assuming they don't get eaten). Royal grammas, queen angel, French angles, altantic blue tang, etc . Can't believe your nitrates are so low with messy big fishes but those macros works. Keep up the awesome work!

Fyi: the last link of the "smoothhound" worked for me. Other links didn't work
I tried some damsels in the tidepool last summer and the herons ate them all. So i decided to just do crabs, anemones, starfish, shrimp, snails and urchins.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely incredible. You have an amazing set-up. What do you feed and how often?
The main feeding is every 2-3 days. I also feed a little every day. I feed them scallops, talapia and whole, uncleaned shrimp.

IMG_4564.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back