My 220 Gallon Reef Tank Journey

Camino Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In December 2018, I got my PADI open water diver certification in the Philippines. The dives I took exploring reefs in Palawan and Batangas mesmerized me profoundly. Reef diving opened a whole new world and combined two things I find myself seeking quite often: adventure and beauty. Most of the time, I sit in an office far away from warm water coral reefs. Despite this, my workplace situation is the best I could ask for, and I am blessed to able to pursue many of my passions while I work.

One day, I looked at the 55 gallon Cichlid/turtle tank in my office and the contrast between it and what I saw under the sea just struck me. Sure, it was entertaining to feed Chesterton (our fat Jack Dempsey cichlid) stink bugs we’d catch in the office, and we enjoyed training him to jump out of the water and play tug-o-war for his stick food. Sometimes Chesterton would get his revenge by clamping his teeth around my fingers and flailing his body, drawing blood! But I yearned for the variety and colors of warm seas. I also had fond memories of my high school biology teacher, Mr. P, who maintained our school’s two reef aquariums—rest his soul. It was time.

In February 2019, I got the green light to make our 55 gallon fresh water tank into a saltwater reef tank. Not knowing much about saltwater aquarium keeping, I began by watching all of BRS’ 52 Weeks of Reefing videos. My plan quickly ballooned from using the existing 55 gallon tank to setting up a brand new 220 gallon aquarium with a basement sump.

Almost a year later, the 220 is teeming with life. I also added a 30 gallon shallow lagoon for anemones across from the DT. Downstairs I tied a 40 gallon refugium tank and a 40 gallon frag tank to the 90 gallon sump tank. People think I’ve become a marine biologist when they come into my office!

The first photo is the 220 gallon Marineland aquarium (corner overflows, Monterey stand and canopy) when we first moved it into our office. The second photo is what it looks like now. I will update this thread with more intermediate pictures. This aquarium project has been extremely rewarding and has drawn many “oohs and aaahs” from visitors and many a moment of admiration and meditation on the beauty of creation. I’m grateful for all the good and easily-available knowledge on reef keeping here on R2R and on the Internet. I’m grateful to all saltwater enthusiasts without whom that knowledge would remain locked under warm seas.

20190307_202831.jpg
2020-01-13 20.21.25.jpg

OP
OP
Camino Reefer

Camino Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your story and pics. I plan to go diving in the Philippines in a few months. I’ve seen pics and am always in awe.
You're welcome! I just hope Taal Volcano will have calmed down by the time you go there. If you're interested, here's a video of my dive in Batangas in December 2019:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! I just hope Taal Volcano will have calmed down by the time you go there. If you're interested, here's a video of my dive in Batangas in December 2019:

Interestingly I was thinking about the volcano today and someone in our group asked the dive team in the PI about it and apparently it won’t affect us.

OP
OP
Camino Reefer

Camino Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to drill through the concrete floor to run the overflow and return to my fish room downstairs. I used a Hilti hammer drill and got through about 4 or 5 inches of concrete. I made two 3 inch holes. Created a minor earthquake in the building!

20190309_152808.jpg 20190309_152822.jpg

OP
OP
Camino Reefer

Camino Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with four DSuny / Popbloom lights. I mounted them under the canopy a little forward from the center mainly because the Marineland canopy has a slit that is placed a little more to the front. The result of that the rear of the tank is more in the shadows and I like the look. It kind of gives it more depth.

20190318_223809.jpg

20190318_144016.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Love Marineland tanks. Have the 180 dual overflow over 10 years now with no issues and just set up a 75. Your looks great.

I have to ask, is this your company and building? Once you said you went thru concrete that’s commitment.

Keep updating, looks like it’s gonna be a great tank.

OP
OP
Camino Reefer

Camino Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Love Marineland tanks. Have the 180 dual overflow over 10 years now with no issues and just set up a 75. Your looks great.

I have to ask, is this your company and building? Once you said you went thru concrete that’s commitment.

Keep updating, looks like it’s gonna be a great tank.

Thanks! I will keep updating as I get time to throw up posts.

It's not my company, nor building, but I'm on pretty good terms with my boss and the directors. Yes, drilling with a Hilti through 5 inches of concrete three times... I'm in it for the long haul!

Back