OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Shoot. I wonder if this could have been the source of my copper problem. If so it hasn't significantly raised the copper yet this time, since I still have living snails, emerald crabs, and hermit crabs. Maybe it's a good thing I left all those absorbing pads in the sump."

The SP2000 pump from my skimmer. I found a replacement pump on line at Premium Aquatics and found this when I disassembled the skimmer
The photo didn't upload the first time.
Cracked skimmer pump.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That much rust could cause a significant amount of algae growth as well.

If that exposed the copper windings of the motor I'd say there's a chance that's where copper could have come from but I'd figure that if the water made contact with the windings the motor would likely have shorted out.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would have guessed as well. When we were continuing to have problems last time, the LFS owner said that he had seen submersible pumps get water in the windings and continue to work for a while (and add copper to the water). That surprised me but I did check my pumps at the time (sort of, I wasn't too thorough to be honest as it still seemed unlikely to me). It didn't occur to me to check the skimmer. I know there was no copper in the water before I added the skimmer. I'm going to send in another Triton test, just to be sure.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would have guessed as well. When we were continuing to have problems last time, the LFS owner said that he had seen submersible pumps get water in the windings and continue to work for a while (and add copper to the water). That surprised me but I did check my pumps at the time (sort of, I wasn't too thorough to be honest as it still seemed unlikely to me). It didn't occur to me to check the skimmer. I know there was no copper in the water before I added the skimmer. I'm going to send in another Triton test, just to be sure.
Although I was using this skimmer in my old 90 gallon system up until it crashed in the ice storm, and I had conchs and snails in that tank

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My skimmer pump wire got nibbled on by my Urchin and exposed the copper wires. Killed the skimmer and the Urchin and I didn't notice it for a day or two. It took several water changes for the more sensitive SPS to stop dying, and that was just a couple of days and very small amount of wire exposure. I was very happy it didn't just electrocute the tank.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sending in a test tomorrow. Hopefully it'll show that I'm worrying needlessly. In any case I'm glad to be able to fix it now

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Look what just showed up on Instagram!

Do you run activated carbon in your tank?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They're finding some carbon contains elevated levels of copper and barium and oftentimes silicon as well.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blast!
Copper69.00 µg/l
Zinc24.00 µg/l

Iron5.00 µg/l
dimes will get you dollars that that skimmer pump was the cause. Before I put the skimmer back in all those numbers were zero. Hopefully treating the tank will work this time since the source is probably gone.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was mixing more salt water and the submersible pump in there failed. Long story short I removed it from the tank and sent my last ICP test in with mixing tank water to make sure it's not contaminated now. There was brown sludge on the pump and cord, but I think that just happens with this salt. Hope I'm right since the salinity is now spot on and I can do water changes as soon as I know. I also dropped the last of my Triton Detox in the water and 3 days later put carbon in (as the bottle instructs). I've ordered Chemipure elite to try treating the water going forward as I saw some people say they run it all the time and it absorbs heavy metals..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back