My 40 Gallon Breeder Build

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not entirely sure about my stocking plan yet. I think I’m going to start with just fish for now and add corals as I get used to the maintenance and testing. I have 2 x 40 Gallon Breeders. I plan to drill one for a Synergy Overflow and also plan on taking the rim off and adding a Euro Brace to it. Rimless tanks look way better IMO. One key component I’m looking for now is a stand that can fit a 40 gallon breeder underneath as well as above of course. I’ve also considered making my own. After I handle that I’m going to attempt to plumb the tank and also plumb a manifold for the future. While doing all this I’ll be curing the rock. I hope to have the tank up and running towards the end of January. A 10 gallon tank is also pictured which will be my ATO reservoir when everything is setup. The 32 gallon Brute is what I will be using to cure my rock as it arrives. I also have a Maxspect Gyre xf250 for flow which I know is overkill. I will most likely oversize most of my equipment since I’m sure I will ultimately will go bigger the future. I’m still looking at equipment. My sump setup will probably be one chamber for filter socks or filter floss depending on how I set it up. I plan to make the first chamber big enough to add a Protien Skimmer to it. The second chamber will be for a refugium with cheato most likely. Then the return chamber with a Jebao DC-12000. If anyone has any insight or can help with any knowledge you might have going forward for me please post. This is my first build so I’m very excited but also very worried this isn’t going to go as smoothly as I want it to lol.

B620A093-2E7C-493F-97E7-A763E68123F6.jpeg

ACF153AE-1023-4176-A177-7E93169FC2FF.jpeg

A4AFEF2F-1D81-4D3C-8B83-607E7DEB82F0.jpeg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll follow along! I have a 40 breeder too and I like to see what other people do with theirs. You will most likely need to build a stand to suit your needs. I recommend it anyway so you can make it the height you want or make any custom modifications you may think of. It’s way harder to modify a stand once it’s in use. And if you do build a stand consider lining the inside with Formica or some kind of easily cleaned surface that salt creep won’t eat.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I look forward to watching your progress. I believe the best option will be for you to build your stand. One reason for this is you will be able to make it tall enough to look at your tank and not down at it. The second reason would be for the width you need, i am sure it would overpower your DT from a manufactured stand.

Good luck and post pics!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! I love 40b's and you can do so much with them. I used one of the glass lids for a short time on one of my 40b's but didn't like the constant condensation. Have you considered a screen top kit from BRS or better yet a custom from one of our great sponsors @cromag27 ? In February I'm gonna get one of his beautiful tops.

Welcome to R2R Teamtang92 you should start your journey in the Build Contributor thread and get a well-deserved ribbon for your efforts. :) Again, welcome aboard and glad you are here.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice catch @Captain Quint

I would also recommend a screen or open top (depending on your fish) versus the glass tops. When i first started reefing years ago, it was with a 29g setup. I used a glass top and it was the worst part of my system. Constant condensation/algae magnet that messed with my light output. The tank was much happier, as was i, when i scrapped the glass and went to screen.

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll follow along! I have a 40 breeder too and I like to see what other people do with theirs. You will most likely need to build a stand to suit your needs. I recommend it anyway so you can make it the height you want or make any custom modifications you may think of. It’s way harder to modify a stand once it’s in use. And if you do build a stand consider lining the inside with Formica or some kind of easily cleaned surface that salt creep won’t eat.
Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing. It will take more time but I want to make sure I do this right!
Thank you for your input!

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I look forward to watching your progress. I believe the best option will be for you to build your stand. One reason for this is you will be able to make it tall enough to look at your tank and not down at it. The second reason would be for the width you need, i am sure it would overpower your DT from a manufactured stand.

Good luck and post pics!

Yeah I agree! Thank you for the insight!

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! I love 40b's and you can do so much with them. I used one of the glass lids for a short time on one of my 40b's but didn't like the constant condensation. Have you considered a screen top kit from BRS or better yet a custom from one of our great sponsors @cromag27 ? In February I'm gonna get one of his beautiful tops.

Welcome to R2R Teamtang92 you should start your journey in the Build Contributor thread and get a well-deserved ribbon for your efforts. :) Again, welcome aboard and glad you are here.

I definitely don’t want to use those glass lids I have for the 40 gallon breeders. I think I’m going to use a screen top kit as you mentioned. Ok, I’ll check out that thread! Thank you!

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice catch @Captain Quint

I would also recommend a screen or open top (depending on your fish) versus the glass tops. When i first started reefing years ago, it was with a 29g setup. I used a glass top and it was the worst part of my system. Constant condensation/algae magnet that messed with my light output. The tank was much happier, as was i, when i scrapped the glass and went to screen.

Yeah I had the glass lids on them when they had freshwater fish in them the crud that built up on them was horrible to clean off and I regret getting them lol. I do plan on have some Wrasse so I definitely want to get something to stop them from jumping out. Thank you!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to post pictures Id love to see it! And thank you!

Its not much to look at yet but getting there, tank is 5 months old.. the small tank is plumbed into the 40 for eventual use as refugium or possibly small frag tank.

F9757C02-F051-42B6-85A4-1EA5763F31B4.png

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not much to look at yet but getting there, tank is 5 months old.. the small tank is plumbed into the 40 for eventual use as refugium or possibly small frag tank.

F9757C02-F051-42B6-85A4-1EA5763F31B4.png
That’s a nice setup! Do you have a sump plumbed to it or just that small tank? Also what lights are you using? I’m thinking of purchasing the Arctic T247 for a cheap but nice light.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have a 40 breeder that should be operating about the same time as yours. you can check it by copy/pasting the bit.ly link in my signature into the adress bar.

the 12000 is def overkill! i am going w/the 6000 haha
Sweet, Ill definitely follow your build! Yeah I plan to go bigger eventually so I figured as long as it doesn’t break on me the 12000 will last me awhile lol

OP
OP
Teamtang92

Teamtang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back