OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank coming next week im starting to think about the plumbing. I belive the shadow overflow wilk allow me to have 2 main drians and a emergency drian. Tge return i believe will be drilled seperatly.

I would like to add a gate valve to both the return and main drain. The part im confused about is if I have 2 main drains will they come together into one pipe into tge sump or should I have 3 pipes into my sump the 2 main drains and 1 emergency drain ? Anyone have pics of the 16" shadow overflow and plumbing on their tank ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank coming next week im starting to think about the plumbing. I belive the shadow overflow wilk allow me to have 2 main drians and a emergency drian. Tge return i believe will be drilled seperatly.

I would like to add a gate valve to both the return and main drain. The part im confused about is if I have 2 main drains will they come together into one pipe into tge sump or should I have 3 pipes into my sump the 2 main drains and 1 emergency drain ? Anyone have pics of the 16" shadow overflow and plumbing on their tank ?
I think the most common set up would be 3 separate drain lines going into your sump. You will want a gate valve on at least the lowest drain and the return.

With your system running you want to use the gate valve on the return to adjust the flow through your sump. Make sure any drain valves are fully open at this point. Yes, the drains will be noisy at this point.

Once you get the desired flow through your sump you will want to gradually throttle closed the gate valve on the lowest drain until water just starts rising in the overflow. What you want is a full siphon on this line with a trickle going down the mid level drain. It will probably take some minor adjustments over time to keep this where you want it. Obviously, the emergency drain is the highest standpipe in the overflow and water shouldn't be at that level.

As for your return, you don't need to drill one if it isn't pre drilled. Just run some Loc Line over the back edge of the tank and down into the water.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most common set up would be 3 separate drain lines going into your sump. You will want a gate valve on at least the lowest drain and the return.

With your system running you want to use the gate valve on the return to adjust the flow through your sump. Make sure any drain valves are fully open at this point. Yes, the drains will be noisy at this point.

Once you get the desired flow through your sump you will want to gradually throttle closed the gate valve on the lowest drain until water just starts rising in the overflow. What you want is a full siphon on this line with a trickle going down the mid level drain. It will probably take some minor adjustments over time to keep this where you want it. Obviously, the emergency drain is the highest standpipe in the overflow and water shouldn't be at that level.

As for your return, you don't need to drill one if it isn't pre drilled. Just run some Loc Line over the back edge of the tank and down into the water.
Thank you for the info. It definitely clears up the plumbing situation. Im sure as i do it i will come across more questions. Orginally my tank was suppose to be a red sea reefer 170 so im wondering now if the return pump I have can handle the slightly bigger tank.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update: ordered my skimz up14 sump. I really like the features crammed into this sump, dosing tubes , 4 probe holders, filter sock chamber and perhaps my favorite is you can adjust the water level in the skimmer chamber by a turn of a knob! All I have remaining now is the light situation. Not sure if the shadow overflow will prevent me from getting 1 hydra 52 or I might I have to 2 hydra 26s and place on each side of the shado3 overflow. Anyone have experience with this ?

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting day today! My tank was just delivered. Upon quick inspection everything looks to be good and undamaged. I will be doing a closer inspection and initial review once I get everything un boxed so stay tuned

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz man I got my sca 90g and I love is it's great

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint the inside of the stand and waterproof it

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint then silicone. Don't use clear... it turns yellow. Go with white silicone

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following TVU suggestion and painting the inside white with the same spray paint he used.

I painted the inside of my doors too [emoji16]moisture will ruin them

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the inside of my doors too [emoji16]moisture will ruin them
I will make sure i do the same. Im letting the silcone sit and cure before I paint. I go back to work tonight so i probably wont get to do anymore work until next weekend

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also although I have not taken the actual aquarium out of the box theres no indication that the bulk head for the return line was included. Anyone know what size bulk head is needed for the return hole ?

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also although I have not taken the actual aquarium out of the box theres no indication that the bulk head for the return line was included. Anyone know what size bulk head is needed for the return hole ?

Everything should be there. Should be pnp.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back