OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your goby been keeping your sandbed sparkling white?
I actually have a diamond goby and a engineer goby. I’ve battle diatoms on my sand bed for a while now so they have had a lot of work but I’ve noticed the last week or so between them my fighting conch and my nopox dosing my ssndbed is really starting to look clean !

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to vent for a second........ today I came home to an overflow skimmer. All my corals were closed and shriveled. Idk how long it’s been overflowing for but I went ahead and did a 15 gallon water change..... this leads me to the rant part ........... I’ve been barreling with my ******* return pump. A few weeks ago I was doing a water change and when i went to restart it it didn’t turn on. I proceeded to pull the pump out and clean and run in through water and vinegar. I went ahead and ordered the new cor pump but is hasn’t shipped yet. Fast forward today and once Again it didn’t restart! :mad: I work for a half hour trying to get this to restart and I finally got it. It’s a Eheim pump and it’s absolute garbage. If the power went out right now it most likely wouldn’t restart when it came back on and I would loose.m everything. This is a very rewarding hobby but it sure does try your patience. On top of that I have no reason why my skimmer randomly overflowed emptying the black sludge back into my tank which is why I believe all my corals looks horrible. Anyone care to weigh in ?

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my extra pump last week or I'd definitely ship you one. I've had power outages cost me coral and it sucks

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my extra pump last week or I'd definitely ship you one. I've had power outages cost me coral and it sucks
Yea I’m probably being a little more paranoid than I have to be but as you know you spends hours a week caring for a tank and the though of something ruining that is scary but hopefully I can get a new one before this one craps out. It’s only 4 months old so I email Eheim to see if they will ship me a replacement until my cor get here

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, especially with how much coral costs and all time spent growing everything out. I think I'd actually cry if my tank crashed

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are going through this is there a LFS that you could get a cheap return pump from just incase yours craps the bed before you can get a replacement, then you could use it as a mixing pump or just as a spare?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with the jebao DCP pumps and if have an amazon prime can have it shipped in 1 day also cheap enough to buy a second as a spare.
This is what I'm planning on using. Will get one, and then the next mo, buy a spare after I see how it does

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with the jebao DCP pumps and if have an amazon prime can have it shipped in 1 day also cheap enough to buy a second as a spare.
I’ll have to check the measurements. I have a small sump which eliminates a lot of choices for a return pump

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jaebo pumps are pretty small and I believe there is a interface to control them with your apex. I love mine.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update today.
My tank is doing better since the skimmer overflowed and ticked off some of my corals. I started using Red Sea coral pro salt and after a few water changes that were done in less than a week due to the water overflow it spiked my alk to 13.4. This deff ticked my corals off even further.
So I went out and got the blue bucket Red Sea salt and am doing small water changes every few days to bring it back down. As of today it was down to 12.2.

My fish list is complete! The residents residing in my tank are
Long nose hawk fish
Starry blenny
Cleaner wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Bangi cardinal
3 fire fish
Coral beauty angel
Neon dirty back
2 frostbite clowns
Scooter blenny
Diamond goby
Engineer goby.

Like I said I have a way over sized skimmer that is working real well for me. That and bi-weekly water changes seem to be working for me.

The plan going forward will be to continue to build my coral collection and stabilize my water parameters. I have some beginner across that browned out due to the excessive nutrients in the water from the skimmer overflowing

1699E79D-94A8-42AD-B4D0-D8323DE24EDC.jpeg

B16A5ECB-8EA5-46C0-BD7C-075DC347FCEF.jpeg

1BB3A711-5D0A-44DE-9A59-CE6AA03E94D3.jpeg

11EB66B6-E011-47DB-BDE1-A29AC58CA569.jpeg

AD5D096B-CD80-46D6-BE1F-FF1EEDC9E77F.jpeg

220C00CD-FB94-4FCC-AF1E-F47F2791BF27.jpeg

6BF94495-942D-4F9C-93A1-695FE06FAB62.jpeg

4AE44DE8-9946-4961-849B-13826EE7FD7C.jpeg

354058CA-74F1-4B7D-B60E-C01BF270CD79.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back