My 55 gallon (now sps dominant)

BudgetReefer007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back into the hobby after 5 years or so I was not expecting all the new colors... I went to get a 55 to set up a softie tank and the plan was to keep it simple sam (KISS) but like they say: the one thing that didn't happen was plan A. So after setting up and watching current videos on all that was possible I just started buying coral. After a few purchases I realized it was NOT going to be softies. So I started my tank with a canister filter and the basic marine led (not enough PAR). At that time I also was unaware of the new wavemakers so I started with simple powerheads (4 of them, it was a little much). After some modifications, a try at a cheato reactor and a few failing powerheads I started to get better equipment (and therefore more consistent results). Still sticking with the theme of keeping it simple (and cheap) I ended up with a used reefbreeder, some jabo wavemakers and I use a trash can as a sump, run a skimmer and use a pvc with gutter screen for mechanical filtration. (I find that the floss is far more affordable than filter socks). In doing this my only issue is no bubble trap however I have learned to work around it and things are going well. As summer season got here this year I was a little worried about heat so I installed a fan to blow across the surface and I control it with a simple timer (hour on, hour off through hot part of summer). And currently I am working to start dosing kalk/alk.. I am in the process of tracking the drain so I can tell what to add and the plan is to test at least weekly as the coral continue to grow (until I can muster a good monitoring system). I'm going with kalk due to cost and plan to use epson for Mg when the time comes. I have had a few losses throughout this whole process (about 2 years now) but all in all I believe I am having success. One thing I know is that I'm definitely having fun! ;)

*I will add some pics from throughout the process and continue to update with any big news

OP
OP
BudgetReefer007

BudgetReefer007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back into the hobby after 5 years or so I was not expecting all the new colors... I went to get a 55 to set up a softie tank and the plan was to keep it simple sam (KISS) but like they say: the one thing that didn't happen was plan A. So after setting up and watching current videos on all that was possible I just started buying coral. After a few purchases I realized it was NOT going to be softies. So I started my tank with a canister filter and the basic marine led (not enough PAR). At that time I also was unaware of the new wavemakers so I started with simple powerheads (4 of them, it was a little much). After some modifications, a try at a cheato reactor and a few failing powerheads I started to get better equipment (and therefore more consistent results). Still sticking with the theme of keeping it simple (and cheap) I ended up with a used reefbreeder, some jabo wavemakers and I use a trash can as a sump, run a skimmer and use a pvc with gutter screen for mechanical filtration. (I find that the floss is far more affordable than filter socks). In doing this my only issue is no bubble trap however I have learned to work around it and things are going well. As summer season got here this year I was a little worried about heat so I installed a fan to blow across the surface and I control it with a simple timer (hour on, hour off through hot part of summer). And currently I am working to start dosing kalk/alk.. I am in the process of tracking the drain so I can tell what to add and the plan is to test at least weekly as the coral continue to grow (until I can muster a good monitoring system). I'm going with kalk due to cost and plan to use epson for Mg when the time comes. I have had a few losses throughout this whole process (about 2 years now) but all in all I believe I am having success. One thing I know is that I'm definitely having fun! ;)

*I will add some pics from throughout the process and continue to update with any big news

DE716C9B-A693-4D97-86CB-38D81D328E24.jpeg 631228CC-6E99-4975-A015-A4FBD01B3BBD.jpeg 079F9F58-904C-442D-B323-2F63BAF991C3.jpeg F592554F-DA91-46CF-B786-814AB729B284.jpeg 0E8B6302-00AD-4FED-A3D2-CE627BC04A56.jpeg 477D36A9-C2A3-498A-84D4-9D6FE6D5B556.jpeg 224489F1-F6F0-49BA-B2BB-94C251F42FBA.jpeg EFEFAACB-7B7A-49F6-8B63-A2D34ECD3124.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back