My 6 year old sons 7 gallon nano build

Mr Cheezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son has wished for a tank for a few years now.

So for christmas this year I got him a 7 gallon nano tank

Equipment

Light - Kessil A80 (orded)
Sicce Voyager Nano 1000 (orded)

Started the tank with water from my sps tank and with LR

Now waiting for led and pump to arrive and then start with some frags.

Thinking some Ricordea and Lps with one or two sps on the top.

However my son really whats some
Zoanthus Rastas and La lakers etc
But I dont feel thats totally safe.
Whats do you guys say?

936E48E3-ED5C-4BE2-AAAD-220FDE494114.jpeg

Last edited:

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing! I would love for my kids to take an interest :) My eldest, at 3, has started watching Octonauts and he loves discovering things in my 220.

I'm not sure if you zoa concern is palytoxin based, but either way, just make sure he doesn't move them around with his bare hands, eat them, put them up his nose or in his siblings hair... no touching in general really...

If he can't keep his hands out of the tank, then it would be better to not house any zoas.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn’t it be safe? Are they poisonous? Unless you think he would eat them .

Zoanthids are potentially toxic. There are several studies on this, and not all zoas contain palytoxin, but most have at least trace amounts. Palythoas however, definitely contain the toxin. This debate gets even more muddy when a lot of large head/polyp zoas are sold as palys...

Anyway, if you keep zoas and/or palys, look it up: Palytoxin.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already very suspect that this is your "son's tank" lol. ;Smuggrin

I have a tank bc my near 3yo son badly wanted a fish for successfully potty training!!!

I think you have to let him have the zoa corals he wants if you're going to continue to call it his tank ;)

Seriously though, all that I've read is that the palytoxin thing is most often overblown. Basically, if they are under water, he's entirely safe. If you have to remove a zoa-covered rock, I'd play it safe and not have little kids around.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread!! I think teaching youngsters tank responsibility is great. My son (almost 30) can't wait to start a tank for his son. He was very involved in my first build as a teenager, and the love doesn't go away. My grandson is just a baby, but he is mesmerized by the tank. If he's fussy, just put him in front of the tank!

As far as zoanthids, I'd be hesitant of him handling them at first, but if he demonstrates great responsibility, I'd let him (supervised, of course). I was terrified of my first zoanthids, but ended up fragging them. I always wore gloves, and definitely eyewear. I've been squirted before! And thorough hand/arm washing afterwards.

I look forward to his progress!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back