My 60 breeders a little off level

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved last week. Moved both my tanks on Sunday, forgot to level the stand for one tank. It’s about 1/8 off, on top of the tank it’s 1/4 (I’m guessing the bracing is a little off). On a 4ft tank should I worry about 1/8 that much? I wanna level it this week but idk how im supposed to shim the back side of it. My fish are super stressed and will be super stressed while I deal with red flat worms on that 1 system. So im trying to not drain the tank and level it just yet. My kole tang is still all white and stressed

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to shim with composite shims by hammering in. I wouldn't stress the fish anymore.

You can leave alone if not perfect depending on where your overflows are.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to shim with composite shims by hammering in. I wouldn't stress the fish anymore.

You can leave alone if not perfect depending on where your overflows are.
Hob overflow box on the left side (high water side). Waters a tad lower on the right side

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's not bad since the overflow is on that side. You may get a bit more water in sump when pumps turn off.

I would get some of the composite shims from home depot and shim from side if you have aluminum or metal frame stand.

What type of stand do you have?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise strongly against pounding the shims under your stand with the tank full.

By shimming at one corner, you are hoping to reduce, or increase twist in the stand. This will be transferring up to the tank. 60b are nice rimmed tanks, but this should still be at least 3/4 drained, then shimmed.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's not bad since the overflow is on that side. You may get a bit more water in sump when pumps turn off.

I would get some of the composite shims from home depot and shim from side if you have aluminum or metal frame stand.

What type of stand do you have?
Wood
I would advise strongly against pounding the shims under your stand with the tank full.

By shimming at one corner, you are hoping to reduce, or increase twist in the stand. This will be transferring up to the tank. 60b are nice rimmed tanks, but this should still be at least 3/4 drained, then shimmed.
yeah I’ll drain for sure. Just gonna wait a bit, I’ve had my fish for a long time and my kole tang specifically looks very stressed. I added new sand too, I had a 40 breeder but since I just moved to a bigger house I bought the 60 breeder since my set up was plug an play with it. Just want a new skimmer down the line I have a small tunze 9001

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood

yeah I’ll drain for sure. Just gonna wait a bit, I’ve had my fish for a long time and my kole tang specifically looks very stressed. I added new sand too, I had a 40 breeder but since I just moved to a bigger house I bought the 60 breeder since my set up was plug an play with it. Just want a new skimmer down the line I have a small tunze 9001
Congrats on the upgrade!

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade!
Thanks, for sure my fish will like it. I really only keep small fish besides the kole tang, I would like to buy one of those cool redsea tanks in the future that’s for sure. I see myself getting one in a couple of years, I didn’t want a 75g because then I’ll really need to do something about my raising my aqua scape or getting new lights for my nems. 2 ai primes are good for the tank if your light hungry corals are under them. Lps do just fine at the ends

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved last week. Moved both my tanks on Sunday, forgot to level the stand for one tank. It’s about 1/8 off, on top of the tank it’s 1/4 (I’m guessing the bracing is a little off). On a 4ft tank should I worry about 1/8 that much? I wanna level it this week but idk how im supposed to shim the back side of it. My fish are super stressed and will be super stressed while I deal with red flat worms on that 1 system. So im trying to not drain the tank and level it just yet. My kole tang is still all white and stressed
Pour a little water in the low area to level it up.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for sure my fish will like it. I really only keep small fish besides the kole tang, I would like to buy one of those cool redsea tanks in the future that’s for sure. I see myself getting one in a couple of years, I didn’t want a 75g because then I’ll really need to do something about my raising my aqua scape or getting new lights for my nems. 2 ai primes are good for the tank if your light hungry corals are under them. Lps do just fine at the ends
Led strip bars like Orphek are a great way to add some coverage, par and shimmer to your existing setup. I just added two, 3 ft bars to my 6-ft tank to supplement the Red Sea LED 90s and wish I had done it sooner.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led strip bars like Orphek are a great way to add some coverage, par and shimmer to your existing setup. I just added two, 3 ft bars to my 6-ft tank to supplement the Red Sea LED 90s and wish I had done it sooner.
I’ve heard Jake adams talk about them. Yeah I’ll for sure look into those. Thanks!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the low point is on the side of the overflow, 1/4" over 4 feet won't matter.

If the low side is opposite the overflow, you do run the risk of leaking through the frame if your overflow weir teeth get gunked up.

If you have a 30g+ brute, reservoir, etc to hold some water temporarily, you could easily fix this by draining about half of the water in the tank (don't let more than 20% of the rockwork get exposed to air if half would take it past there). That will make the tank light enough that a buddy can lift up on the stand enough to get a shim in there. Then just dump the water back in.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I got the image of someone with a sledge hammer and hard hat trying to put shims under the aquarium.

I have 255 gallon tank with steel stand
Put six inches of sand and several hundred pounds of sand and rock in it. Not to mention filled it with water when I first set it up. And low and behold with all the excitement. I forgot to level before I put everything in it.

It's the time you notice anyway with water in. Usually steal and aluminum stands are beveled on all corners of the structure so the shim goes right under the structure. All you have to do is tap it in with hammer. That's what I did on mine with no issues. Went in real easy. Have done it on friends aluminum stand as well.

Since you have wood. I'm not sure that would work unless you have custom stand with say 2x4's as a base and they are beveled as well so shim will go under easily.

Pictures may help

Back