My 75 Gal "Wanna-Be a Reef" when I grow up... upgrade

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to start posting about this, as just the beginning of this project has been in progress for several months!
I've had my 35 gal FOWLR tank for almost 2 years, so I've had my 75 gal waiting for this upgrade for nearly a year.
We had a custom stand built so it would have the tank at a height high enough to show through the window between the living room and dining room.
It didn't turn out well at all. My husband completely rebuilt it, we stained it bombay mahogany and I'm very pleased with the results.

The doors aren't on it yet - and now I wish we'd stained the inside - but my husband convinced me that it wasn't necessary, as it is sealed anyway. It may get stained yet.
On top of the cabinet a pretty marbled granite slab sits under the drilled 75 gal tank.

So far the equipment inside includes a Trigger Systems Triton 34" Sump, matching 10 gal ATO, Octo Skimmer,
My husband put a nice light bar in the cabinet and a nice long power strip.
I'm waiting on the Orbit Marine Lighting System 48" with Loop system, and the eFlux aquarium wave pump kit.

I still have some decisions to make about the heater, ATO sensor & pump, aquarium top (I get jumpy fish), refugium light, and .... I'm very interested in aquarium controllers, so any input is appreciated. I will post some pics soon too.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heaters I would recommend getting two smaller heater with a controller instead of one big heater. You can do either glass or titanium, I 50/50 on them so I would just do research on which one you want.

Ato I would get a tunze, it is up there in price but it is probably the best on the market.

refugium light I also like the tunze or the Neptune gro if you go with an apex.

for a controller I would definitely recommend the apex, it is pretty user friendly, you get a lot out of it and here is tons of people that have it compared to other controllers so help is always available. I would stay away from the junior and get either the base or the pro.

as for lid there is a lot out there just have to decide between custom or diy, basically comes down to price.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm terrible at updating this as I go along! I've been meaning to post pictures!
This is my current tank, 36 gallon bow front that I'm upgrading from.
PXL_20221017_160348043.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new tank in process.
75 gallons.
We built the stand. In this light you can't really tell that it is bombay mahogany and that is a granite top.
The doors are waiting in the other room until everything underneath is finished. Some of the items underneath are not my choices. My husband has gotten overly involved in this project and is making some choices, and doesn't look at warranty/longevity the way I do.
So far underneath there is the Trigger Systems Triton 34 Sump and ATO tank, with a hygger alarm & ato pump.
I wanted to get 2 heaters and split the load, but ended up with an Aquatop 300 watt Titanium submersible with controller.
Our return pump went out the day we started cycling it. I wanted to get the one that went with the Current USA lights and wave maker pumps, but he didn't see the point of that one, so we ended up with some "Knifel Submerisble pump 1056gph" from Amazon we shall see...
I put the chaeto in the refugium yesterday.
Current-USA wavemakers and lights - I love the thunderstorm effects, and by Saturday my bluetooth controller will be here.
The light from my other tank will probably become the light for the refugium in this one.
With the doors closed most of the time, how long should the refugium lights be on?
It is cycled now, I added the fish last night, so I will take some pictures/video.
I've noticed some deadspots, and plan to add a 3rd wavemaker or gyre - not sure yet.
This weekend the wires will all be done, and doors on - I hope.

PXL_20221017_160326654.jpg

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new tank in process.
75 gallons.
We built the stand. In this light you can't really tell that it is bombay mahogany and that is a granite top.
The doors are waiting in the other room until everything underneath is finished. Some of the items underneath are not my choices. My husband has gotten overly involved in this project and is making some choices, and doesn't look at warranty/longevity the way I do.
So far underneath there is the Trigger Systems Triton 34 Sump and ATO tank, with a hygger alarm & ato pump.
I wanted to get 2 heaters and split the load, but ended up with an Aquatop 300 watt Titanium submersible with controller.
Our return pump went out the day we started cycling it. I wanted to get the one that went with the Current USA lights and wave maker pumps, but he didn't see the point of that one, so we ended up with some "Knifel Submerisble pump 1056gph" from Amazon we shall see...
I put the chaeto in the refugium yesterday.
Current-USA wavemakers and lights - I love the thunderstorm effects, and by Saturday my bluetooth controller will be here.
The light from my other tank will probably become the light for the refugium in this one.
With the doors closed most of the time, how long should the refugium lights be on?
It is cycled now, I added the fish last night, so I will take some pictures/video.
I've noticed some deadspots, and plan to add a 3rd wavemaker or gyre - not sure yet.
This weekend the wires will all be done, and doors on - I hope.

PXL_20221017_160326654.jpg
nice... id suggest you add some more caves on the scape tho

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest more rock for your bio filtration but I see you took care of that. Nice scape. Are you going to keep it fish only or add coral ( looks like you set it up for that)? I look forward to your next update in a month.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice... id suggest you add some more caves on the scape tho
Why do you suggest more caves? Are all of the holes in and around the rocks not enough? Also there are small rocks making footers under the big rocks at the bottom to help make “Scotty” the engineer goby, happy. Or are you saying more caves would be prettier?
I'm open to suggestions, and have a good bit more rock to play with, I just didn’t want to make it too busy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest more rock for your bio filtration but I see you took care of that. Nice scape. Are you going to keep it fish only or add coral ( looks like you set it up for that)? I look forward to your next update in a month.
Is the one piece I put in the refugium sufficient?
If you’d asked me a week ago if I was going stay fish only or go coral, I’d have said coral was 6 months to a year away.
That said, I went to my first reef show today… guess where this is going? I was at Carolina Reef Experience in Columbia, for any inquiring minds.
I came home with 5 softies. But while I was gone my husband finished all the wiring in the cabinet, so the tank is officially done. Now I’m searching “how to acclimate corals.”
Pics of tank, stand, corals, and raffle prize I won to come.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the win! Can’t wait to see it all come together! You have officially went down the rabbit hole. Keep up with the pictures, I look forward to seeing how this comes out.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, can i ask is the centre column on the sand or does it extend to the glass bottom... if it is on the and you may have a tumble later as the gobys excavate and do their thing, I reread it and I am guessing the footers are supports...cheers

Reefingpops52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to start posting about this, as just the beginning of this project has been in progress for several months!
I've had my 35 gal FOWLR tank for almost 2 years, so I've had my 75 gal waiting for this upgrade for nearly a year.
We had a custom stand built so it would have the tank at a height high enough to show through the window between the living room and dining room.
It didn't turn out well at all. My husband completely rebuilt it, we stained it bombay mahogany and I'm very pleased with the results.

The doors aren't on it yet - and now I wish we'd stained the inside - but my husband convinced me that it wasn't necessary, as it is sealed anyway. It may get stained yet.
On top of the cabinet a pretty marbled granite slab sits under the drilled 75 gal tank.

So far the equipment inside includes a Trigger Systems Triton 34" Sump, matching 10 gal ATO, Octo Skimmer,
My husband put a nice light bar in the cabinet and a nice long power strip.
I'm waiting on the Orbit Marine Lighting System 48" with Loop system, and the eFlux aquarium wave pump kit.

I still have some decisions to make about the heater, ATO sensor & pump, aquarium top (I get jumpy fish), refugium light, and .... I'm very interested in aquarium controllers, so any input is appreciated. I will post some pics soon too.
Awesome I have a 75gal reef myself and love it its a project to see how well I can run a reef with a diy sump a made and run it on a minuscule budget and it's doing pretty well its now a year and a half old
20221022_190926.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, can i ask is the centre column on the sand or does it extend to the glass bottom... if it is on the and you may have a tumble later as the gobys excavate and do their thing, I reread it and I am guessing the footers are supports...cheers
After the fun with Scotty and the 36 gallon, we learned. All the rocks are pinned, glued or both, all 3 big foundation rocks have smaller footer supports under them so Scotty can tunnel under and be happy without causing cave ins.
While my husband maintains that he is completely "not involved in my hobby" he absolutely adores Scotty and building the arch that way was his idea.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there as well, great show! I didn’t win anything of course, but I got a great deal on a dragon soul torch and bought plenty I shouldn’t have!
I have no idea what that is, but it sounds like I would love it. Mine are all starting to perk up today. They are almost ready to have pictures taken.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I have a 75gal reef myself and love it its a project to see how well I can run a reef with a diy sump a made and run it on a minuscule budget and it's doing pretty well its now a year and a half old
20221022_190926.jpg
How beautiful it looks. I love your flame hawk! He has the same mischievous look my Falco hawk has. They are so fun. I will be glad when my corals look as pretty as yours.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what that is, but it sounds like I would love it. Mine are all starting to perk up today. They are almost ready to have pictures taken.
Here it is after it started to open up yesterday.

Attachments

• 830AD9AF-0F42-4FDB-A6E4-91DF2DF82930.jpeg
    830AD9AF-0F42-4FDB-A6E4-91DF2DF82930.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is after it started to open up yesterday.
Beautiful! I saw so many gorgeous torches yesterday. I love the "flowyness" of them. I was told they are beyond my skill level right now. Maybe next year.
I just noticed there is a coral show 12/10 in Phoenix, and it just happens that I will be in Phx that week for medical reasons, and will be able to go. I think we will be flying out on either Sunday or Tuesday after. If I bought a couple of corals on Saturday, would they be ok that long? or what would I need to do? or is that a "NO WAY!"...?"

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd probably be OK buying them Satuday and flying back sunday, as long as you kept the temp stable. But not if you flew back on tuesday.

Reefingpops52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How beautiful it looks. I love your flame hawk! He has the same mischievous look my Falco hawk has. They are so fun. I will be glad when my corals look as pretty as yours.
Thank you, yes I love hawk fish they have so much character and yep definitely mischievous

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back