My 75 Gallon Minimalist SPS build

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get that so clean? I just bought a used 75 aswell lol and Im working on cleaning atm using vinegar and water but some water marks just dont seem to want to leave :/

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get that so clean? I just bought a used 75 aswell lol and Im working on cleaning atm using vinegar and water but some water marks just dont seem to want to leave :/

Mixed 1 gallon water to 1 quart vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. I sprayed the entire thing and then good old fashioned elbow grease and a careful razor blade. I kept the bottle with me and just kept spraying as needed and worked the whole thing until it was nice and clean. All of the pumps and other equipment was taken apart and given vinegar baths to get all the old nastys off.

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed 1 gallon water to 1 quart vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. I sprayed the entire thing and then good old fashioned elbow grease and a careful razor blade. I kept the bottle with me and just kept spraying as needed and worked the whole thing until it was nice and clean. All of the pumps and other equipment was taken apart and given vinegar baths to get all the old nastys off.
Nice , sponge /paper towel / normal towel ?

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28f1ae7b6ce36d5df7e8d770b2d88db8.jpg

Cleaning rock from my other tank and found this guy. Is it a bristle worm?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks md. I found a few of em so glad they’re good ha!

Here’s what I think final rockscape is. The one I had posted early might have been a little y’all for SPS growth and another member pointed out it would be tough not to blast that right side with the powerhead. I lowered it and flattened it for more real estate space. Thoughts?

1699f9cfcb756c292cf24e61eaa632f8.jpg

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my apex and eb8 moved over and hooked up to WiFi. Modules set up and working too. Working on cable organization but that’s a pain. I need the vm1 module to control the kessils so will keep an eye out for one. For now the apex is just running on/off times which is fine. Put the MP10 from my other tank in on the left side. Still debating on going mp40 or gyre.

Put in a frag if my big orange/red monti from the other tank to see how it goes. So far it’s made it a few days without issues which is promising.

Still have tons of nitrite in the tank but moved over a good seed rock so hopefully that bacteria starts spreading in the next week or so.

Things to do still:

Hook up carbon and gfo reactors(prob tonight)
Hook up ATO
Hook up two part dosers
Recalibrate pH probe
Find a probe holder for the sump
Build mixing station
Decide if I want to get the t5 led combo light

The thing evaporates water like crazy. Must be really dry out. Temp is staying pretty stable around 78.

Starting to see some diatoms on the glass and rock which is always a good sign in the beginning. Just going to keep trucking along and maybe be able to add some livestock in the next few weeks!

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a Rainford Goby in yesterday. We'll see how he does. He survived the night and is swimming around a lot this morning which is a good sign. I've been reading on him and a lot of people say they have trouble getting them to eat unless they have hair algae growing and it can graze all day. With the dry rock starting the tank, that has me a little worried for lack of food.

I had a heck of a time getting the ATO set up yesterday. Turned out, I must have a bad outlet on the EB8. I thought the programming wasn't shutting the thing off but once I moved it from that outlet and copied over the programming, it worked just fine.That being said... I think all of the equipment I have for it is up and running!

Added a red monti frag and a green slimer frag from the other tank to see how it does in the new one. Between that and the Goby, I should be able to sit and watch and see where everything is at.

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite reading 0 today. The goby has survived and the coral I’ve moved over all look to be doing well. Will move my fish over from the 29 soon. Approaching shut down on that tank.

OP
OP
M

Montiguy1287

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance day today. Alk was down to 6.4 and mag to 935. Will bring those up to where I want them and then start measuring daily to bring the dosers online.

Phosphate measuring at .01 which I’m happy with. Would like to keep it around .01-.03.

Some coral was looking brownish and colors aren’t that deep nice color we want. Hoping that bringing the levels in check will help.

Also looking at the combo T5 fixture but will get water chemistry in check and steady before messing with lights.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back