My 75 Gallon Tank Mixed Reef - Or Aptasia Farm??

IL-Reef-A4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 75 gallon tank after moving it to the basement. Had to fight back cyano (gone), turf algae (gone), dynos' (who knows if they are really gone) and now my latest problem - aptasia. I've tried peppermint shrimp (no luck), I know have an aptasia eating filefish (not much results so far) and am still battling. Next move - berghia nudibranch. Does anyone have online vendors for berghia nudibranch that they recommend?

IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1913.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Everyone likely has their own protocol for dealing with this common pest. For me the most effective approach has been to knock back the infestation with F-Aiptasia and then adding Berghia for cleanup (assuming that there is not a Berghia predator like wrasses in the tank). One of the primary sources for finding Berghia online is Salty Underground. Good luck with whatever you decide!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is my 75 gallon tank after moving it to the basement. Had to fight back cyano (gone), turf algae (gone), dynos' (who knows if they are really gone) and now my latest problem - aptasia. I've tried peppermint shrimp (no luck), I know have an aptasia eating filefish (not much results so far) and am still battling. Next move - berghia nudibranch. Does anyone have online vendors for berghia nudibranch that they recommend?

If you have less than 20 aptasia, simple method is Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
If infestation, consider a BLUEHEAD not yellow Kleini butterfly which will eat them like candy and also eat all dry and frozen food once gone. They also will not turn on coral in which the yellow version will and they are very friendly

Bluehead:
1666713187009.png

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I got a pair of lysmata boggessi for my aiptasia. There were two aiptasia I could see. The night I got the boggessi they ate both aiptasia. I have yet to see another one.

We’re glad you joined! I think you’ll enjoy it here. There are many great people here who want to help others and who know their stuff!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. Your filefish may and your peppermint shrimp definitely will eat your Berghia. You may have to move other fish out as well for a month or so for the Berghia, so the Berghia can eat. Depending your aiptasia infestation level, Frank's F-Aiptasia may be better solution - BRS did recent eval video on it. Keep in mind those aiptasia are dropping babies weekly anywhere from 2-5 each, so its not something you want to ignore while you decide on solution. Also, never ever scrub them. I told my boyfriend. He said he knew what I was doing... Its no longer worth my reminding him what he did to that rock, but BOY when they say every aiptasia molecule can turn into another... Sadly, I believe it...

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you near 60062:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome thanks for joining presenting your challenges to us. As you have already tried peppermint and filefish, I have had great success with them to keep a mild infestation from growing, I don’t think they can knock back a forest. I too have had great success with F. Aptasia, and I’m going to try to inject lime water into some that are rimming my overflow box using a tuberculin syringe and needle. Best of luck and let us know please.

124C4A18-BA2F-4301-9A25-1914EA0CF676.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back