My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow awesome already!

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much room under the tank. You plan on sealing the ends on the steel tank? Are you worried about salt rusting it from the inside out?

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. No, no check valve. The siphon break has a small tube coming out of the end of that pvc pipe. It is pointing down to just above the surface of the water level in the overflow box. When the pumps are running there will be a small jet of water coming out of that tube and into the overflow box. When the pumps stop and the water starts to siphon backwards, the overflow box drains out and that tube starts to suck air until the suction is broken in the return pipes. The sump will have enough capacity to hold all the water that siphons back from the return pipes and everything in the overflow box. Not sure yet if I will turn off pumps during feeding but if not I will test the siphon break once a week to make sure everything is working correctly.
I like the low return idea. How small is the line from the siphon break?

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much room under the tank. You plan on sealing the ends on the steel tank? Are you worried about salt rusting it from the inside out?

Yes lots of room or so I thought until I added 5 pumps, heat exchangeer for the chiller an 3 media reactors. And even so nothing like all of my prior tanks where everything was jammed in.

I am a little disappointed in the quality of the stand. I was envisioning a thing of beauty all sealed and polished and it looks rather rough. I am going to trust in the stainless steel and not worry about rust.

spectra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet looking set up! Both the house and the tank :) Good to see metal studs in the walls.....

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. That is your dream, but it is my inspiration. It might be my wish as that might not come true for me. Beautiful house and I can't wait to see the tank with live stocks in it

Brireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be one incredible reef tank. The amount of planning and attention to detail is impressive. Keep the updates and photos coming. Have you composed a livestock list?

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet looking set up! Both the house and the tank :) Good to see metal studs in the walls.....

Thank, appreciate that. Regarding those metal studs, unfortunately they were not able to hold up the clothes rod in my wife's closet. It came crashing down the other night from the immense weight of all those clothes!!!!! :eek:

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. That is your dream, but it is my inspiration. It might be my wish as that might not come true for me. Beautiful house and I can't wait to see the tank with live stocks in it

I would encourage you to not give up on your dreams. Hold onto them, believe they will come true and when contrary thoughts pop up in your mind, just let them go and focus on your dream. It may not come true according to your timing or your plans but that is how life works. Just let things play out while you enjoy the journey along the way and keep on believing.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be one incredible reef tank. The amount of planning and attention to detail is impressive. Keep the updates and photos coming. Have you composed a livestock list?

Thanks!!! In a way, having to wait so long really helped by forcing me to slow down and think things trough. However, now that it's sitting here in my living room empty it's really testing my patience. :)

My livestock list and fish stocking plan for now is just "the basics". I am going to solicit a lot of input from others on ideas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back