My AIO 38g rock scape

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at scaping a penninsula saltwater reef aquarium. Dimensions of the display are 30"x15.75"x15.75"

The goal was to incorporate my freshwater expirience. I feel as if walls, shelves, arches and overhangs are heavily used in reefing, so I tried to limit those as best as I could. Negative space is a big thing right now, so I attempted to try that.

I also tried my best to apply techniques used by IAPLC winner Josh Sim. The GreenAqua channel on youtube has what I believe to be the best tutorial so far on freshwater aquascaping. I have been using the tutorial as my guide.

Keep in mind this is a penninsula so I have to take into consideration 2 sides.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

First attempt:

Current attempt:

Attachments

• 20210227_112051.mp4
    29.2 MB

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have no experience with planted fresh water tanks.
there's a reason why walls, arches, overhangs and shelfs are used in reef tanks.
that's what's down there.
if you do pics instead of video it would be easier to critique different areas.
front and back view and straight down view.

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have no experience with planted fresh water tanks.
there's a reason why walls, arches, overhangs and shelfs are used in reef tanks.
that's what's down there.
if you do pics instead of video it would be easier to critique different areas.
front and back view and straight down view.

Front/Back view #1
20210227_213405.jpg

Front/Back view #2
20210227_213320.jpg

Top view
20210227_213334.jpg

Side view
20210227_213425.jpg

Hopefully the images are clear enough. You are right, I'm finding it very hard to mimic a nature with reefs while making the hardscape look unique. Corals are not like plants, and wood is not as suitable for saltwater as it is for fresh. I have less material to work with, but have been looking at macro algea.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you will be happy with that long term. It appears to take up too much of the tank and doesn't quite flow right. Far too close to the walls.

I suggest watching the brs aquascape video, not for the scape Ryan makes but for the concepts. His scape is awesome though.

Imo you want the rocks to appear as if they grew together that way since that's what they did in nature.

Also keep in mind water flow and fish swimming and hiding.

Peninsulas are harder to scape.

You are off to a good start though!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.
first thing. the table you are working on.
use that blue painter tape to layout exactly the bottom footprint of your tank.
it's very important to make sure you have enough room to get a scraper/glass cleaning magnet between the glass
and your scape.

my preference with scapes is to use all 3 directions, up/down, front/back & left right. I prefer sloped ledges so I can
view corals with out having to be standing in front of my tank.
here's my suggestion.
"H" being high, "L" being low. "I" being an island for gsp, xenia, zoas.
Capturez.JPG

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you will be happy with that long term. It appears to take up too much of the tank and doesn't quite flow right. Far too close to the walls.

I suggest watching the brs aquascape video, not for the scape Ryan makes but for the concepts. His scape is awesome though.

Imo you want the rocks to appear as if they grew together that way since that's what they did in nature.

Also keep in mind water flow and fish swimming and hiding.

Peninsulas are harder to scape.

You are off to a good start though!
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like flow will likely be an issue, won't know until I test it. I have tried to use every square inch of space. My only concern is detritus buildup in tight spots. The idea is to direct the return towards the center of the tank. The other flow pump should take care of the sides. I'll be sure to check out more brs scaping videos, I may have seen it. As for the rocks I will glue and/or cement them. I plan to fill in gaps with pulvarized rock to ensure that natural growth look. Luckily I've had some expirience scaping a freshwater tank from all sides. Reef scapes are proving to be more challanging due to lack of hardscape material variety, and lack of plants. I'm having fun though. Thanks again!

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.
first thing. the table you are working on.
use that blue painter tape to layout exactly the bottom footprint of your tank.
it's very important to make sure you have enough room to get a scraper/glass cleaning magnet between the glass
and your scape.

my preference with scapes is to use all 3 directions, up/down, front/back & left right. I prefer sloped ledges so I can
view corals with out having to be standing in front of my tank.
here's my suggestion.
"H" being high, "L" being low. "I" being an island for gsp, xenia, zoas.
Capturez.JPG
I'm def. going tl follow your suggestion, I have not really looked into corals, those you mention look lovely.

I'm concerned about having too much flow on the higher areas. I will be using a gyre pump for waves and flow. The top area will approximately 700-1000 gph of flow hitting the opposite end and deflecting back towards the intake. The gyre would be located directly above the round rock where you suggest gsp be placed.

Where could I end up putting an anemone?

The cardboard below the rock is an accurate measurement of the workable footprint. I have left about an inch gap of space to scrape the glass. I'm hoping that will be enough.

Screenshot_20210228-001339_Google.jpg

Thank you very much for the placement suggestion. I'm assuming it's based off of light requirements as well? I also understand zoas spread with ease.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ THIS IS A GOOD FLOW PATTERN IN REVERSE. The other way i like.

Minimal is best imo at 1st. You can add more. Try and pick some rocks you like.
D

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ THIS IS A GOOD FLOW PATTERN IN REVERSE. The other way i like.

Minimal is best imo at 1st. You can add more. Try and pick some rocks you like.
D
Could you elaborate on why it's better when reversed?

I get what you are saying by going slow and building up. I've done that with my 20g low tech freshwater scape in the past, It certainly works. My bio. filtration might have to depend a lot on rock if i decide to go barebottom. I also rather not glue or cement anything underwater, the risk of scratches is grater. I'm getting awfully close to the glass as it is to fill up the scape nicely. I have just enough space to scrape where I will eventually need to. It will be harder to achive that rock on rock bond once the rock turns live with biofilms. The wet curing time is also longer, at least with cement to my understanding.

I bought and broke down as many rocks to my liking. I wish I could have bought and worked with pukani.

Thanks

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" clearance to the glass is tight.

no sump, so no return, right?

do you have a controller with the gyre that you can regulate the flow?
I have gyres in my tank, with a controller, so the current fluctuates.
I also have them mounted vertical instead of horizontal. not sure you have the height in the tank to do that.
buy the mesh covers for the gyre so no critters get in to it.

doesn't matter where you place a nem. they will go where it suits them.
I have one that started high left corner and decided it likes the lower right instead.
that's a 4' move horizontal and 26" down. the other 5 like the highest point rear upper left.

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump, but the aquarium has a 5” x 15.75” section for filtration. I will be using this section for the heater, ato, as mechanical filtration and cheatomorpha refugium with a return that will be pointed towards the center of the display to help with flow there.

The gyre does come with a controller (IceCap2k), I do have the option to remove one side of the pump to mount vertically if needed. I can connect up to two pumps to the controller. I have not put much thought into flow patterns yet, but the controller does have its options.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used the gyres so forgive me i dont know their flow patterns or strength. Ect.
Do they pulse?
The picture dosent show your aio but i like an upflow. Yes i like your churn flow pattern shown but it pushes down and than flows all along the rock.
You will have sand or a substrate on the bottom?
The reverse flow will also bring anything off the floor to the water coloum or the surface and allow ur filter to catch it.vs pushing it down into your rock.
This is my opinion lol and good morning.
D

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by pulse, but it seems to offer reverse flow, inverted flow, a combination of the aftermentioned, random flow, and some other types only available with a more sophisticated controller.

Is what you mean (pulse) the pump operating intermittently with short bursts?

As for substrate I am likely using .5-1mm grain sized sand. I figure I will need it to keep a goby and pistol shrimp. Unless I decide it’s more trouble with upkeep and flow intensity blowing it around.

The intake to my tank’s filtration/refugium section actually has an opening on the lower end.

Back