My air pump is syphoning water????

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey I forgot to tell you. Google using a steam iron on your hardwood. It works. I had Great Danes...

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, so I bought check valves and I put them on the air tubes and now there's no air at all going into the tank???

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

There used to be bubbles coming out of the top and middle of the log/tree trunk thing and the middle of the rock where the power head is. Now there's nothing. Was working just fine before I put the check valves on

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never used any like that. Can you flip them around? Would make sense if they are a one way valve.

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what's going on [emoji24][emoji24] my clowns don't even care

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't buy check valves. I always like the air pump to be above the tank. So I'm using gravity so the water can't go back to pump. We really should take advantage what you can do in the hobby. Especially to eliminate valves ,pumps, ect...

While I agree with your statement, to a degree, an airline check valve hardly is anything to avoid. It's a simple precautionary device that costs two bucks. No big deal.

As for eliminating more valves and things in filtration setups, the better. But that's just because of flow restrictions, not because it harms the system or is less natural. I don't see the big deal about using a pump, if needed, or people setting up a quality system the way it works for them. A precautionary device should be encouraged, not discouraged. Not to mention, a lot of people have an air pump below the tank simply because they can be loud. Better safe than sorry, especially when it's such a small and easy thing.

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with your statement, to a degree, an airline check valve hardly is anything to avoid. It's a simple precautionary device that costs two bucks. No big deal.

As for eliminating more valves and things in filtration setups, the better. But that's just because of flow restrictions, not because it harms the system or is less natural. I don't see the big deal about using a pump, if needed, or people setting up a quality system the way it works for them. A precautionary device should be encouraged, not discouraged. Not to mention, a lot of people have an air pump below the tank simply because they can be loud. Better safe than sorry, especially when it's such a small and easy thing.

Check valves would be a lot easier if mine would work though.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves would be a lot easier if mine would work though.

A way to tell if it works is to blow through each end. One side should allow you to blow through and the other side should block it. A lot come defective though because they're so cheaply made. In a pack of 10 I think 4 were bad. They either allowed me to blow through both ends, not blocking the air at all, or like yours, didn't allow any air through.

Try blowing through it

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just now and neither will let me blow air through. I'll just take them back and order a bunch on amazon. Kinda bull**** tbh.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just now and neither will let me blow air through. I'll just take them back and order a bunch on amazon. Kinda bull**** tbh.

Yea, that's why I usually buy a pack because a few just won't work out of the bunch. So when you get your new pack, blow through each side of all of them and toss away the busted ones.

These are the ones I bought and I know they stop water because it was put to the test. All check valves have crappy reviews because some don't work out of the pack.

However these are probably a better value because the company sells a 10 pack and the 20 pack is $1 more. So you'd have extra if you need to replace some or there's a bunch of duds. Plus they look identical to the ones I bought, but they might not be.

They both come apart though so people were able to fix some of the broken ones. They unscrew, which could possibly be a bad thing if water was back siphoned because it may leak through the threading, but I don't know for sure. Just make sure they're screwed on tight first.

Just a few options. Most are the same crappy Chinese junk just under a different name, but the same as other brands. You'll see if you look.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back