My ammonia lvls wont go down to 0!

vjmendoza12212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to marine fish keeping hobby. And i was researching stuff on the internet on how to do the cycling. Its been around 2 weeks now since i started my “cycle” and my recently recorded levels are quite confusing to what my research is telling me. My ammonia is still up in .25ppm and my nitrites are in 2.0ppm while my nitrates are up in 80ppm. My research is telling me that ammonia should be in 0 ppm by now and my nitrites should be lowering by next week and i should expect that my nitrates would spike high and i should do a 50% water change. can someone tell me what to do?

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to marine fish keeping hobby. And i was researching stuff on the internet on how to do the cycling. Its been around 2 weeks now since i started my “cycle” and my recently recorded levels are quite confusing to what my research is telling me. My ammonia is still up in .25ppm and my nitrites are in 2.0ppm while my nitrates are up in 80ppm. My research is telling me that ammonia should be in 0 ppm by now and my nitrites should be lowering by next week and i should expect that my nitrates would spike high and i should do a 50% water change. can someone tell me what to do?
This is normal. I just started reef keeping myself and this was one of my questions at the beginning too. If you are using dry rock it can take up to 6 weeks for a tank to fully cycle, live rock however would be a different story and shouldn’t take as long. I started my tank 7 months ago and let it cycle for 2 months just to be safe.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're about to hear a whole lot about how inaccurate Ammonia tests are and that your tank is cycling just fine.

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do any water changes, you’ll only prolong the process. 2 weeks is still a bit early, especially with dry rock. Just keep waiting, it’ll settle out.

Also, if you’re using an API test kit, you’ll probably always read ammonia with those kits, because they suck.

Also Also, this is probably not an emergency. Good luck and welcome to reefing :)

CarltonCay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle is complete when the cycle is complete. Just let it sit and don't rush things. Be patient. The better the cycle the better the foundation of the tank. Let the microbes establish and take care of the issue. That's what cycling is for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons (Bacter 7 is good) daily and you can also place chemiclean elite pouch in the sump or filter area which it will place nitrate in check. While tank is new, you dont want it to continue to be elevated.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose any beneficial bacteria?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
per the thread in #6 there's only one last part of this equation missing, the time factor.

all params line up as we'd expect. .25=zero for api

some nitrate means your bottle bac wasn't dead, ergo the directions on the bottle for wait time is the final determinant.

we don't care about the nitrite portion, that no longer factors (and if the nitrite is bumping nitrate falsely, that's still active conversion. 100% ammonia holding pegged green on api, no nitrate, no nitrite might be a stall, that's not posted here above its got the common readings spread we'd expect for an api cycle)

how many days are on the bottle directions, if you've met that # of days your cycle is done, right now.

using old cycling rules, you are no where near done your bacteria are only half alive.

using new rules, you are done, because about 3/4 of the new tankers would have already added fish anyway and they'd be fine, due to bottle bac skip cycling plus dilution.

let us know how many days your bottle directions say and we'll add this thread to that one above as a tracked outcome. Anywhere close to ten days and 99% of all bottle bac brands have you ready, already. the specific takeaway from the thread above is that the bottle bac directions are reliable in 2021. the stuff they put in bottle works well, we've got a red convertible circling the solar system with a spaceman at the wheel as well, our tech is getting good.

OP
OP
V

vjmendoza12212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
per the thread in #6 there's only one last part of this equation missing, the time factor.

all params line up as we'd expect. .25=zero for api

some nitrate means your bottle bac wasn't dead, ergo the directions on the bottle for wait time is the final determinant.

we don't care about the nitrite portion, that no longer factors (and if the nitrite is bumping nitrate falsely, that's still active conversion. 100% ammonia holding pegged green on api, no nitrate, no nitrite might be a stall, that's not posted here above its got the common readings spread we'd expect for an api cycle)

how many days are on the bottle directions, if you've met that # of days your cycle is done, right now.

using old cycling rules, you are no where near done your bacteria are only half alive.

using new rules, you are done, because about 3/4 of the new tankers would have already added fish anyway and they'd be fine, due to bottle bac skip cycling plus dilution.

let us know how many days your bottle directions say and we'll add this thread to that one above as a tracked outcome. Anywhere close to ten days and 99% of all bottle bac brands have you ready, already. the specific takeaway from the thread above is that the bottle bac directions are reliable in 2021. the stuff they put in bottle works well, we've got a red convertible circling the solar system with a spaceman at the wheel as well, our tech is getting good.
I have poured some api quick start to my tank which is only 28 gallons. it only said it to use when to changing water or adding new fish. Im not exactly sure how to use it but i just followed the directions in the back of the bottle . And also i only added it once and been cycling without fish. i kept my filter running 24 hours a day but im still reading .25 ppt of ammonia and with increasing nitrites and nitrates. Its almost 3 weeks since i started cycling. I will update you guys in the later days

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are done cycling, but have no chance to know it by the tests you chose. Seneye would have helped. It’s ok to wait as many weeks as that kit requires until it hits hard zero. Your cycle has been fully evaluated, case closed

your cycle is just like all the others on google, they’re all .25 positive

this helps sell things as people buy remedies

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks

pull up a cycling chart, ammonia is fine at three weeks. It’s not that you own a reef producing legit .25

its that the link above have not been weighed. We see these type cycles last ninety days usually, I have threads where .25 showed for ninety days then one day they took the reading in a different room, under light changes, and it said ok.

read about TAN conversion, that’s your kits requirement for accurate reading but the TAN reduction step has been not applied to the .25 above

Your cycle is done if you have rocks and sand in contact with bottle bacteria and feed for three weeks.

Last edited:

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using live rock, dry rock real reef? Live sand? Dry sand? These all are different factors to a cycle and the period.

As @brandon429 states you are cycled.. but depends of how many days it states on bottle. Was a great help during my cycle process and well I was ready at day 15 for my tank.

Test kits are very hard to read and api ect aren't to accurate when 0.25ppm ammonia is showing.

Good luck with the process and just wait.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS recommends a 4 month cycle and I agree

but we aren’t waiting for ammonia control :) that’s ten days

the 120 days was for biofilm and micro community food web establishment, and less dinos. It’s good to delay for the right reasons. It’s good to know how to control ammonia without a test kit because that means every reef you’ll ever own will be immune to a loss from filtration crash, your reef animals are safest when you know how ammonia works without doubt.

OP
OP
V

vjmendoza12212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks

pull up a cycling chart, ammonia is fine at three weeks. It’s not that you own a reef producing legit .25

its that the links provided have not been factored. We see these type cycles last ninety days usually, I have threads where .25 showed for ninety days then one day they took the reading in a different room, under light changes, and it said ok.

read about TAN conversion, that’s your kits requirement for accurate reading but the TAN reduction step has been skipped so you are seeing an over read

that hasn’t been mentioned here as we doubted bacteria over and over. Your cycle is done if you have rocks and sand in contact with bottle bacteria and feed for three weeks.
Can i put fish in my tank now and would it be okay?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back