My Anemone Ate My Zoa, Now What?

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... one of my zoa's must of either broke loose from the frag plug or a snail grazed pushed it off as it slithered by. Either way, a 4 polyp head got loose in my tank. Just so happened that I saw it float by in the water column so I scrambled to grab my little fish net to recover it BUT before I was able to get scoop it to safety, it landed on my bubble tip anemone and that sucker instantly closed it's tentacles around and shoved it into it's mouth in a matter a 30 seconds.

So now what? Does the anemone die from the paly toxins? Do the toxins get released to the tank and kill everything else? Does the anemone die now and wipe out the whole tank? Or, does life just go on and the anemone had a fancy orange and purple $20 dinner?

Have no idea! Any comments, or bets?

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So oddly enough I don't actually have a close up of these particular Zoa's, however, I do have this picture with them in it. Circled for clarity. My assumption is the anemone will be fine, I just literally have no idea what to expect as this has never happened in 10 years of running tanks.

Inked2021-05-07_19-25-33_051_LI.jpg

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kudos... it's grown out little more now. Those blue and green ones in middle really just took off. LOL! Wish I could of slowed them down for the LA Lakers under them to take hold a little more.

As we always do in this hobby, will keep tabs on the tank and freshly mixed bucket of salt water handy just in case.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to limit the area of growth of your zoas, put a line of Red Sea Aiptasia-X along the edges of the zoas. It will stop their growth for a few months. I do it all the time to keep my zoas in check. Works on GSP too!

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Small Update*

Apparently, BTA's don't like Zoa's. She spit it out last night sometime as the Zoa was floating around the water column this morning. Finally was able to snag it with a net and have it "quarantined" in the tank to see how it will look over the next couple days. It doesn't look too beaten up so it may just pull through. :)

So this begs the question, what is the best way to mount Zoa's to rock work? Clearly super glue is not doing what it needs too as this particular Zoa keeps coming loose!

AnemoneZoa.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, I glue my zoas to a very tiny piece of rubble or something, then glue that rubble to the main rock. It's best to do this out of water, if possible, so the glue can cure properly. Glad to hear the zoas haven't been devoured!!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I use standard Krazy glue for mounting corals, and it works quite well. I find that it works best when something is 100% dry, though. I've wasted entire bottles trying to glue together some damp rocks or coral frags.

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I use standard Krazy glue for mounting corals, and it works quite well. I find that it works best when something is 100% dry, though. I've wasted entire bottles trying to glue together some damp rocks or coral frags.

LOL! I hear this. I saw a post or survey a few weeks ago where someone said they had more glue in their tank than rock work. Sometimes I feel the same way. :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back