My angel has a weird lump or wound on her face

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 5 lyretail anthias, a lawnmower blenny and 2 Spotbreast Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos) in a 40 gallon QT tank.

One of the angel has two black spots on its dorsal fin and it looks like a bit of damage in those same spots.

She also has a large red lump or wound on her right cheek, above her jaw. She didn't come in with it when I picked her up 4 weeks ago and it's slowly been developing for the last two weeks.

I've done two rounds of General Cure followed by two doses of Kanaplex. I'm now running copper power at 2ppm. The wound isn't getting better and neither are the black spots or the fraying on her fin.

Any ideas on what I should do?

IMG_20210217_113720.jpg IMG_20210217_113645.jpg

OP
OP
amps

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of her if it helps:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aggression? That’s my first guess. How big are the two angels? BTW.

How are the two angels feeding? How are the Anthias doing? With Anthias there can be a slightly greater risk of bacterial infections, including uronema.

OP
OP
amps

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel with the lump is the larger of the two and has been charging at the smaller lately. Though when I first got them it was the reverse with the smaller showing aggression to the larger. My hope was to pair them up and have one go male.

The anthias have been fine and show no signs of disease. There may have been some internal parasites in one of them initially but it cleared up during the first general cure treatment.

All the fish are eating fine though the angel in question has been a bit more timid in going after it's food lately. I feed them a mixture of flake and LRS fish frenzy.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they going through any medication? did you freshwater dip before adding them to the QT? angels and tangs show symptoms more readily as compared to other fish. others might be fighting the issue off.
looks like some bacterial infection . Lets wait for @Jay Hemdal 's input.

OP
OP
amps

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let the experts weigh in. How big are the two in terms of inches?
Both are about 3" long with the tail.
are they going through any medication? did you freshwater dip before adding them to the QT? angels and tangs show symptoms more readily as compared to other fish. others might be fighting the issue off.
looks like some bacterial infection . Lets wait for @Jay Hemdal 's input.
No dips when I first got them. I had the QT tank water matched to my LFS's tank (salinity, PH and temp) and moved them right over to observe. They've have two rounds of general cure, 4 days apart. Two Kanaplex treatments, 2 days apart. Now they're in Copper Power at 2ppm, ramped up over the last 6 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder - I recently had a pyramid butterflyfish with a very similar single, larger wound on its dorsal. I thought it was bacterial, but we sent a biopsy out for histopathology and I was flabbergasted to hear that it was fungal...external fungal disease are almost unheard of in marine fishes. We cured it with daily one hour 75 ppm formalin dips for 3 or 5 days.

There is no way I can confirm that is what your fish has, but given that you've treated for flukes, protozoans and bacteria, there aren't a whole lot of culprits left.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back