CamoFan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Being in an apartment, I can’t have a super huge tank like I dream of. Biggest I could get away with is a 75, but I think I should keep working on my 40.

I’ve had this tank up for over a year now and it’s been a ride. Between a diatom, dino and cyano bloom at the same time and GHA, it’s been hard to maintain it. But I’ve finally beaten them back. And with the addition of a diamond watchman goby, my sand is cleaner than ever. I still have some spots of algae on my glass, but that’s gonna happen.

It’s a 40GAL breeder running a Fluval 407 canister filter, noopsyche k7 pro II 96w light and a Fluval marine 32 or 36w light. Circulation is provided by a Red Sea RS-25 gyre. No protein skimmer or sump due to space. I’ve spent these last few weeks after a massive alkalinity spike restoring the tank after a bloom of dino and cyano. I think the only thing I need to do now is just dial in my lights.

69AB9DEA-99C5-445A-9A44-B820948EF562.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Jeffcb

Tang tang
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Being in an apartment, I can’t have a super huge tank like I dream of. Biggest I could get away with is a 75, but I think I should keep working on my 40.

I’ve had this tank up for over a year now and it’s been a ride. Between a diatom, dino and cyano bloom at the same time and GHA, it’s been hard to maintain it. But I’ve finally beaten them back. And with the addition of a diamond watchman goby, my sand is cleaner than ever. I still have some spots of algae on my glass, but that’s gonna happen.

It’s a 40GAL breeder running a Fluval 407 canister filter, noopsyche k7 pro II 96w light and a Fluval marine 32 or 36w light. Circulation is provided by a Red Sea RS-25 gyre. No protein skimmer or sump due to space. I’ve spent these last few weeks after a massive alkalinity spike restoring the tank after a bloom of dino and cyano. I think the only thing I need to do now is just dial in my lights.

69AB9DEA-99C5-445A-9A44-B820948EF562.jpeg
Looking good. It seems like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to maintain.

OP
C

CamoFan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looking good. It seems like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to maintain.
Agreed. I’ve made some mistakes with this tank, like the alkalinity spike that was caused by using half the starter dose of ESV B-ionic alk/calc buffer. Had to do 30-35 gallon water change to bring it down to 14DKH and then a few more to 12 then to 10.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
C

CamoFan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Added 2 new fish:

Midas blenny and a lemon meringue wrasse. Both are still very shy but venture out and eat very well. We have some construction going on underneath us (maintenance doing demo work) and the vibrations freak them out.

Noticing some hair algae growth so I did a 5GAL water change after scrubbing rocks with toothbrush with fresh mix and dosed TLC Marine SAT which gave good results in the past except I was underdosing. Should see some results by EOW.

AquaCave

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 65 13.7%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 349 73.3%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 51 10.7%