My apartment tank - 40GAL breeder

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in an apartment, I can’t have a super huge tank like I dream of. Biggest I could get away with is a 75, but I think I should keep working on my 40.

I’ve had this tank up for over a year now and it’s been a ride. Between a diatom, dino and cyano bloom at the same time and GHA, it’s been hard to maintain it. But I’ve finally beaten them back. And with the addition of a diamond watchman goby, my sand is cleaner than ever. I still have some spots of algae on my glass, but that’s gonna happen.

It’s a 40GAL breeder running a Fluval 407 canister filter, noopsyche k7 pro II 96w light and a Fluval marine 32 or 36w light. Circulation is provided by a Red Sea RS-25 gyre. No protein skimmer or sump due to space. I’ve spent these last few weeks after a massive alkalinity spike restoring the tank after a bloom of dino and cyano. I think the only thing I need to do now is just dial in my lights.

69AB9DEA-99C5-445A-9A44-B820948EF562.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in an apartment, I can’t have a super huge tank like I dream of. Biggest I could get away with is a 75, but I think I should keep working on my 40.

I’ve had this tank up for over a year now and it’s been a ride. Between a diatom, dino and cyano bloom at the same time and GHA, it’s been hard to maintain it. But I’ve finally beaten them back. And with the addition of a diamond watchman goby, my sand is cleaner than ever. I still have some spots of algae on my glass, but that’s gonna happen.

It’s a 40GAL breeder running a Fluval 407 canister filter, noopsyche k7 pro II 96w light and a Fluval marine 32 or 36w light. Circulation is provided by a Red Sea RS-25 gyre. No protein skimmer or sump due to space. I’ve spent these last few weeks after a massive alkalinity spike restoring the tank after a bloom of dino and cyano. I think the only thing I need to do now is just dial in my lights.

69AB9DEA-99C5-445A-9A44-B820948EF562.jpeg
Looking good. It seems like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to maintain.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. It seems like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to maintain.
Agreed. I’ve made some mistakes with this tank, like the alkalinity spike that was caused by using half the starter dose of ESV B-ionic alk/calc buffer. Had to do 30-35 gallon water change to bring it down to 14DKH and then a few more to 12 then to 10.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 new fish:

Midas blenny and a lemon meringue wrasse. Both are still very shy but venture out and eat very well. We have some construction going on underneath us (maintenance doing demo work) and the vibrations freak them out.

Noticing some hair algae growth so I did a 5GAL water change after scrubbing rocks with toothbrush with fresh mix and dosed TLC Marine SAT which gave good results in the past except I was underdosing. Should see some results by EOW.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7E65C951-9D39-46F7-BD1C-341F82536802.jpeg

Changed my lighting up significantly. Went from a single noopsyche K7 Pro II light (96w) to two Maxspect MJ-L165 blue series
(65w x2). Had a single one for about a week and bought the other today. Everything seems to respond well so far but time will tell. Was also able to ditch my old Fluval Marine 2.0 Bluetooth light as well since the spread on these two lights is actually rather nice. So, the top of my tank is finally clear.

Also added a new fish, a splendid dottyback. Fed it when I added it to the tank and readily ate flake food and some brine shrimp as a treat. Tried to steal the spot under the center arch where the clowns are, but there’s plenty of rock work for it to search and find it’s home.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! super cool that you can do 40g in an apartment too, our limit was 10gallons per the contract lol. Rock scape is really looking good, and I think that light upgrade is gonna be really good for the tank.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! super cool that you can do 40g in an apartment too, our limit was 10gallons per the contract lol. Rock scape is really looking good, and I think that light upgrade is gonna be really good for the tank.
My apartment really didn’t care, lol. As long as it’s not like a 120. I’m probably moving either this year or next so I’m kinda waiting to upgrade to a 75. With the one light, the little frags opened up and stayed open even under night time actinic. I’m still messing around with the intensity and timing but I’m very happy with this upgrade.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apartment really didn’t care, lol. As long as it’s not like a 120. I’m probably moving either this year or next so I’m kinda waiting to upgrade to a 75. With the one light, the little frags opened up and stayed open even under night time actinic. I’m still messing around with the intensity and timing but I’m very happy with this upgrade.
They have a weight limit for us, under 100lbs, unfortunately my little 5gallon is pushing around 70 lol. I think youll see with the two lights and dialing in the schedule youre gonna have not just open frags but massive growth. I chose convenience and went with LEDs personally, but I think its gonna be cool to see the progress of your frags. What coral are you stocking? Itll be cool to see what your style is once the frags grow in.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a weight limit for us, under 100lbs, unfortunately my little 5gallon is pushing around 70 lol. I think youll see with the two lights and dialing in the schedule youre gonna have not just open frags but massive growth. I chose convenience and went with LEDs personally, but I think its gonna be cool to see the progress of your frags. What coral are you stocking? Itll be cool to see what your style is once the frags grow in.
Currently have a frogspawn, 2 zoa frags, 1 stylo, a war coral, GSP (I want a GSP rock), a little mushroom and a 4-5 headed duncan. I really like LPS but want to do some SPS as well, so I’m looking for some easy SPS.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a frogspawn, 2 zoa frags, 1 stylo, a war coral, GSP (I want a GSP rock), a little mushroom and a 4-5 headed duncan. I really like LPS but want to do some SPS as well, so I’m looking for some easy SPS.
Someone told me recently that SPS is made to sound stupid difficult because the epitome is acros but many SPS are much hardier, I havent dabbled in SPS yet, so I can't speak on that, but thats a pretty nice lineup already. I think LPS are cool because of their feeding response, but the colors on SPS are just fire.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone told me recently that SPS is made to sound stupid difficult because the epitome is acros but many SPS are much hardier, I havent dabbled in SPS yet, so I can't speak on that, but thats a pretty nice lineup already. I think LPS are cool because of their feeding response, but the colors on SPS are just fire.
I can affirm SPS that are easier. I have a long record as an Acro killer. But I’ve been able to keep Milka Stylos(presently) and montis in my previous tank. Poicilophora are pretty easy related corals to the stylos . And I guess I’m lucky I have a 90 gallon and 16 gallon fresh as well as the SR60 AIO on the third floor.
ABEA43CD-2455-4218-9B6E-8EBCA64BF307.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can affirm SPS that are easier. I have a long record as an Acro killer. But I’ve been able to keep Milka Stylos(presently) and montis in my previous tank. Poicilophora are pretty easy related corals to the stylos . And I guess I’m lucky I have a 90 gallon and 16 gallon fresh as well as the SR60 AIO on the third floor.
I got an acro as a freebie and I killed it. I always feel so terrible when I kill any type of coral. I’ll definitely take a look at those coral you mentioned.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real estate for coral alone makes me jealous, would take 18 of mine to make up your 90 gallon LOL I look at acros and think oooo so pretty and then i think nope its gonna die.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real estate for coral alone makes me jealous, would take 18 of mine to make up your 90 gallon LOL I look at acros and think oooo so pretty and then i think nope its gonna die.
Well the 90 is a Discus tank. But someday I’d love to have a 90+ for reef. The second is the reef(60 gallons)
6F77F72F-5C74-46DB-85A8-618E1A31610B.jpeg
73EE87B6-EAF4-4A0B-A627-905581B2AC4C.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my snowflake clown, Reggie to brook and his mate, a standard ocellaris named Bertha. Had to put her down as she didn't eat for the past few weeks and was starving.

Got a mocha storm clown named Spot and a regular juvenile ocellaris which I am unironically naming Nemo (his right pectoral fin was torn at the store). Still have the Midas blenny but lost the firefish. So, I now have a splendid dottyback, a royal gramma (no territorial issues) and 2 blue chromis (got 5 but 3 were bullied or just died).

Current stock:

x2 Clownfish - mocha storm and ocellaris starting to pair
x2 Blue chromis
x1 Midas Blenny
x1 Royal Gramma
x1 Splendid dottyback
x1 Blue eye kole tang

Corals:

x1 6-7 headed duncan
x2 zoa colonies
x1 large GSP colony

Updated my filter so new equipment list:

FX-4 Filter (marvelous thing)
x2 MaxSpect Jump Blue 65w lights
x1 RS-25 Gyre

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s been 2 weeks since updating to a 75. I must say, the 75 is WAY nicer! I feel like I can actually grow things now. In theses 2 weeks, I’ve seen massive coral growth in everything. Diatoms have come and gone thanks to snails and a tiger conch and the hair algae has been nibbled away thanks to hermits and a starry blenny plus NoPox and Algaefix. Next battle is film algae.

Acan: growing 3-4 new heads
Duncan: currently growing 2 new heads (currently at 8)
GSP: it’s a GSP
Zoas: I feel like I see 5 new polyps every day

I added a frogspawn but I think it’s not open all the way yet or if the light at the store wasn’t bright enough so it was stretched out more. But, we’ll see. The anemone finally found a spot it likes and is open all the way and is starting to host my clownfish. All of my fish have grown significantly and seem much more confident and comfortable in this big tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back