My Arothron Puffer Needs Some Help!

DizzyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I caught a nitrite and amonia spike in my tank. Water changes and Seachem Stability have helped a lot and the fish (150 gallon predator tank) are on the up and up, including my puffer. He looks to have more life and color than the past 3-4 days when he was very lethargic and loopy/lazy. He is also swimming much more today, while stopping and laying in front over the power head on occasion.

The big issue is that he isn't hungry/eating much if anything. He is looking more interested as of recent but still won't go for it. I feel he may eat soon but is 3-4 days of not eating potentially fatal? Can puffers live without eating for a specific period of time? Is there a specific move I can make here to protect him?

He has been with us a while and he is of course the family favorite, I am worried!

Please help.

In advance, thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I caught a nitrite and amonia spike in my tank. Water changes and Seachem Stability have helped a lot and the fish (150 gallon predator tank) are on the up and up, including my puffer. He looks to have more life and color than the past 3-4 days when he was very lethargic and loopy/lazy. He is also swimming much more today, while stopping and laying in front over the power head on occasion.

The big issue is that he isn't hungry/eating much if anything. He is looking more interested as of recent but still won't go for it. I feel he may eat soon but is 3-4 days of not eating potentially fatal? Can puffers live without eating for a specific period of time? Is there a specific move I can make here to protect him?

He has been with us a while and he is of course the family favorite, I am worried!

Please help.

In advance, thank you!
Hi,

In order to try and figure out what's going on, some additional info will be helpful. Here is a link to a post that gives some ideas as to what we find helpful:

In your fish's case, it may just be a leftover reaction to the water issues, knowing how high the ammonia went is important. A short video taken under white light also helps.

Thanks,

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back