My Attempt at the Infamous Moorish Idol

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove the 3 dying brain corals to see if my moorish will start picking at the clams?

Clams are one of my favorite inverts, and I kind of want to add more, but I want to know how long I should wait to test out if the moorish will develop an appetite? If the moorish does eat clams, I’m not about to buy more. Currently, it doesn’t touch them. I want to know how “long” before I can give the all clear?
I don’t think that is necessary but you could always give them away to someone else. Unfortunately when it comes to angels, butterflies and idols in this case you are never 100% safe. I’ve had specimens that was fine with everything and turned rouge after years. It’s simply a risk you will have to live with.

However, if it hasn’t touched your clams at this point I would consider it clam safe, for now.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys that has a idol, show some pictures, please.
It's great information to see the condition of the fish, tank environment, tank mates, etc...
Getting a better understanding why they doing so well in your tanks.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove the 3 dying brain corals to see if my moorish will start picking at the clams?

Clams are one of my favorite inverts, and I kind of want to add more, but I want to know how long I should wait to test out if the moorish will develop an appetite? If the moorish does eat clams, I’m not about to buy more. Currently, it doesn’t touch them. I want to know how “long” before I can give the all clear?

I have 2 clams in the tank.
The idol haven't touch it in over 1.5 years.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats unfortunate they are picking on LPS. Are there other reefers with different experience? I've now read 2 - 3 that pick at coral. Is nori available for him in between feedings?
It’s a moorish idol .
they are not reef safe as they naturally eat corals

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys that has a idol, show some pictures, please.
It's great information to see the condition of the fish, tank environment, tank mates, etc...
Getting a better understanding why they doing so well in your tanks.
Sure. You’ll find tons of videos/pictures on my Instagram. Here’s a taste ;)

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a moorish idol .
they are not reef safe as they naturally eat corals
What rubs me the wrong way about this comment is just saying "it's a moorish idol". That really does nothing for me except name a fish. It gives me an impression you're condescending and theres no reason to act all superior. I'm here in this thread to learn more about moorish idols and read about OP's experience with his.

I'm still learning about Moorish Idol. I always hear they eat sponge. Never heard coral as part of their diet. I don't follow completely when you say, "they naturally eat corals". Its news to me about particular corals that his fish goes after. Your comment didn't tell me anything more than coral. I know Moorish idols aren't reef safe but reef with caution but people can hope the one they pick up do not eat their expensive corals.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rubs me the wrong way about this comment is just saying "it's a moorish idol". That really does nothing for me except name a fish. It gives me an impression you're condescending and theres no reason to act all superior. I'm here in this thread to learn more about moorish idols and read about OP's experience with his.

I'm still learning about Moorish Idol. I always hear they eat sponge. Never heard coral as part of their diet. I don't follow completely when you say, "they naturally eat corals". Its news to me about particular corals that his fish goes after. Your comment didn't tell me anything more than coral. I know Moorish idols aren't reef safe but reef with caution but people can hope the one they pick up do not eat their expensive corals.
This is where opinions vary .
sorry you took my comment and rubber you the wrong way .
When I first starts reefing they were classified as relatives of butterflyfish . Which for the most part not too many can be referred to as reef safe and coral eaters .
recently I have read they are also or in fact closely related to angelfish ( which I don’t see or understand how )
Also to be known as not reef safe .
Because they have always been one of the harder fish to keep long term but IMO one of the most beautiful saltwater fish .
they have been a challenge to keep healthy for
Many and for a very long time .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the same goes to say . It’s easy to find what species of corals they prefer .

as butterflyfish and angelfish can behave the same .
generally the fish is added first . And trial and error is the only way to determine which coral they prefer as every fish is different . 2 of the same species of fish , one will ignore a acan while the other goes complete rogue on it .

this is the same theory behind how I have always been able to keep emperor angels in my reef tanks .

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moorish idol started picking at this one today.

I definitely see a preference to the types of corals this moorish likes. TBH I never really liked this coral anyway. ;Facepalm

I’m going to trade this one in before it dies. :)

This moorish idol likes brains, and these LPS (I honestly don’t know what these are called). The moorish does not eat hammers, clams, softies, nor SPS. Which is fine in my book. Those are the corals I care about anyway.

F9E2819B-61E3-4F3F-8055-53786DA09FC7.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moorish idol started picking at this one today.

I definitely see a preference to the types of corals this moorish likes. TBH I never really liked this coral anyway. ;Facepalm

I’m going to trade this one in before it dies. :)

This moorish idol likes brains, and these LPS (I honestly don’t know what these are called). The moorish does not eat hammers, clams, softies, nor SPS. Which is fine in my book. Those are the corals I care about anyway.

F9E2819B-61E3-4F3F-8055-53786DA09FC7.jpeg
The hammers are euphillia family .
which have a very strong sting ?
Perhaps they taste like poo . Emperors don’t touch them either .
xenia are safe , along with paly’s

but meat coral open brains , favia , acan , are all tasty treats

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They aren’t known corallivores but other Not so Reed safe fish (Orange butterflies being a good example) are corallivores. These guys are more into sponges and tunicates - Much like the angels! Another thing these guys like tends to be natural grazing algae (GHA is one I think these guys eat).
It’s like saying “It’s an angelfish, it goes after coral naturally” they don’t - They eat what usually grows at the bases of large colonies which is often the Tunicates and/or sponges.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish idol hasn’t picked at any corals recently.

I purchased Easy Reef’s Masstick (free dried crustaceans that you can stick on the glass) and the moorish idol really likes it.

I did a trick and mixed pellets into the masstick and the moorish is consuming it.

D01401CC-EC41-439E-8212-28B8FDBC11BC.jpeg
89072356-78A6-4B43-B93D-CF8365ADD4CE.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish idol hasn’t picked at any corals recently.

I purchased Easy Reef’s Masstick (free dried crustaceans that you can stick on the glass) and the moorish idol really likes it.

I did a trick and mixed pellets into the masstick and the moorish is consuming it.

D01401CC-EC41-439E-8212-28B8FDBC11BC.jpeg
89072356-78A6-4B43-B93D-CF8365ADD4CE.jpeg
He is getting big now! Got a very nice streamer too, I love these fish so much for sure.

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a idol for the last 14 months. This last month he didn't eat for 2 weeks and was pooping white strings. At first I thought it was because of internal parasites but no other fish had them so it could be he was pooping white strings because he refused food, he also had a little prolapsed anus in the 2nd week of his issues.

I did offer him less NLS pellets and more mysis in the last few months, that could have attributed to the problem.

after the 2 weeks he finally started nipping on mussels on a shell, but really he nipped like 2 times and then i had to throw the mussels out and i did this like 5 times a day with mussels. Now he's eating like a pig again! I really thought I was going to lose him, thank god I didn't.

I can't imagine how a fish like this can survive on no food for 2 weeks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a idol for the last 14 months. This last month he didn't eat for 2 weeks and was pooping white strings. At first I thought it was because of internal parasites but no other fish had them so it could be he was pooping white strings because he refused food, he also had a little prolapsed anus in the 2nd week of his issues.

I did offer him less NLS pellets and more mysis in the last few months, that could have attributed to the problem.

after the 2 weeks he finally started nipping on mussels on a shell, but really he nipped like 2 times and then i had to throw the mussels out and i did this like 5 times a day with mussels. Now he's eating like a pig again! I really thought I was going to lose him, thank god I didn't.

Yeah, the sensitive fish really can survive for longer than people assume! Leopard and Anampses wrasses can survive a month+ without food, tilefish can survive weeks without food (Although I’ve never heard of one going off of food).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is he still pooping white strings? If so, I would personally feed metro soaked foods for 10-14 days. You definitely don’t want any parasites stealing nutrients from these already delicate fish.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the idols I’ve keep have done this at one time of another. I have no idea why…my guess is that they are messing with us.
I’ve just kept feeding as I normally do and they eventually stop sulking.

Oh and here’s a video of my guy being it’s piggy self haha

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the idols I’ve keep have done this at one time of another. I have no idea why…my guess is that they are messing with us.
I’ve just kept feeding as I normally do and they eventually stop sulking.

Oh and here’s a video of my guy being it’s piggy self haha

Gorgeous tank and fish!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back