My Attempt at the Infamous Moorish Idol

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you cycle a tank and then add copper, it’s normal for some nitrifying bacteria to die. If you didn’t cycle the tank long enough you might even get an ammonia spike.

Since I sterilize my QT every batch, I really don’t have the patience to wait for a cycle. Doing the method with cycling media in copper fixes that for me.
My tank cycles completely, which surprises me because it's a tank of only 10 gallons that I put for small fish, my damsel came with velvet so I treated her immediately, I was only surprised to see her very stressed and without wanting to eat, for a easy to keep fish that is not normal, did not know about copper resistant bacteria either. Solve the problem with water changes, but a delicate fish and perhaps without having time to change the water would have died immediately.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I’m feeling pessimistic and full of regret.

The moorish I purchased from Divers Den is doing well. It eats very well and looks good.

But I’ve been reading the forums and the internet and it seems like they all start off this way - Happy and eating. I even read some got fat but randomly died the next day with no apparent cause.

I don’t think I’m that special. Why should I be an exception to the rule? I’m basically doing what everyone else did.

I’m hoping my silicate dosing can actually bring benefit to my moorish. I don’t know. I really wish I could find a way to keep them.

How can I learn more about their care? I really want them to live long term.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you the best in your moorish journey.
may I ask where you got this fascination with silicates?
Silicates are a limiting element in the growth of most sponges. Not enough silicates deter the growth of diatoms and sponges according to Randy and basic knowledge of sponges: https://reefs.com/magazine/silica-in-reef-aquariums/

Moorish idols need sponge (according to Paul B and many other sources on internet).

Dose silicates to grow sponge? Is my logic not adding up?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicates are a limiting element in the growth of most sponges. Not enough silicates deter the growth of diatoms and sponges according to Randy and basic knowledge of sponges: https://reefs.com/magazine/silica-in-reef-aquariums/

Moorish idols need sponge (according to Paul B and many other sources on internet).

Dose silicates to grow sponge? Is my logic not adding up?
Not doubting you at all. It’s just that I’ve never heard of it before. Interesting stuff.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the tangs will likely decimate the sponges extremely quickly. You can buy them online but they are not cheap and will be eaten fairly fast.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a frozen food with sponge added? I know the San Fransisco Bay butterfly and angelfish formula and Hikari Mega Marine Angel includes pieces of sponge. You could try adding one of those to your feeding regimen!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a frozen food with sponge added? I know the San Fransisco Bay butterfly and angelfish formula and Hikari Mega Marine Angel includes pieces of sponge. You could try adding one of those to your feeding regimen!
I have the hikari one and the moorish likes that one a lot.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the tangs will likely decimate the sponges extremely quickly. You can buy them online but they are not cheap and will be eaten fairly fast.
Are you talking about the big ornamental ones? Moorish idols don’t really like those. I think they like the micro sponges that grow in dark areas.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about the big ornamental ones? Moorish idols don’t really like those. I think they like the micro sponges that grow in dark areas.
Yeah. I bought some ornamental sponges when I placed a cuc order as a treat for my angel and moorish idol. They didn’t care about them. But the white pineapple sponge covered rocks/dead coral that I move from the sump up to display occasionally, they love those sponges.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 17 with moorish idol. Still in QT. I found a really amazing trick! He loves frozen LRS! This is great because it’s very calorie dense and he especially likes the bigger pieces. He has a ferocious appetite and I think I’m starting to see his lateral line less pronounced.

I only just found this trick 3 days ago. He was on mysis shrimp and although he ate it, he would still lose weight. I believe mysis shrimp is not a suitable food for these fish because it’s essentially water.

This moorish doesn’t eat pellets.

Video just taken now.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 17 with moorish idol. Still in QT. I found a really amazing trick! He loves frozen LRS! This is great because it’s very calorie dense and he especially likes the bigger pieces. He has a ferocious appetite and I think I’m starting to see his lateral line less pronounced.

I only just found this trick 3 days ago. He was on mysis shrimp and although he ate it, he would still lose weight. I believe mysis shrimp is not a suitable food for these fish because it’s essentially water.

Video just taken now.

Actually PE Mysis is a really high protein food and I would also try fresh shrimp from the seafood market .. believe this or not freeze dried Australian blackworms they go nuts over and very high in protein ..

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video just taken now.

Awesome. Great to hear that. What size is your QT tank?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Great to hear that. What size is your QT tank?
20 gallons long. In my opinion it’s plenty of room for the moorish. I think the size is good because it keeps him from burning through too much needed energy during the medications/conditioning process. But don’t take my advice because I am not an expert on moorish idols.

@angelsandtangs I culture live blackworms from California but this moorish isn’t interested in eating them. I’ve tried over a dozen times with not even a single bite.

@Ardeus
Thanks. I wanted to update that I’m not attempting sponges for the moorish idol. I still dose silicates and phyto, but it’s more for me. I really like sponges. At best, the moorish idol will have a nice snack, but I’ve read someone say they dosed silicates consistently but the moorish still died after 8 months.

I’ve spoken to a lot of people who say that moorish idols don’t actually require sponges in their diet. I also learned that moorish idols don’t have a long lifespan (about 5 years) so most of the fails could just be due to purchasing an adult. Who knows.

I think the secret is high calories and minimal stress from tankmates. If the fish doesn’t eat enough it’s dead.

That’s where I’m at right now.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
My all-time favourite fish.

I have mine about 1.5 years now.
Eats everything, is very fat and healthy.
Never fed live food or sponges.
Just pellets and regular frozen foods.

btw, don't know how to insert videos.

Good luck.
Jx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-053659.png
    Screenshot_20211005-053659.png
    973 KB · Views: 85

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're one of those fish that if you see them in the wild, you likely won't want to keep them in captivity.

They're huge, live as mated pairs and have very large territories. I can't believe they only live 5 years in the wild, I would guess 15+ years.

Have you tried feeding mussels?

Last edited:

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I treat no matter where it comes from. Copper and Prazi. My first idol I had for 8 years and was one of the best eaters I ever had. Flakes, pellets, mysis, etc. My other one is the same and eats like crazy. Holds its own with all the other fish (angels, tangs, etc.) I feed multiple times per day.

That really proves a lot, 8 years moorish idols that is quarantined with copper and medication.
All those b***t about copper will destroy the fish immune system is totally fails.

And that moorish idols must eat sponges and live food.
And they don't survive in a new setup tank, and blablabla.

My moorish idols start in a fresh new tank with new water and dry rocks.
Went through 6 months of bacteria bloom, twice hair algae outbreak.
Still super healthy.
Only eat pellets and normal frozen food, not even high end LRS stuffs, not available here.
Mine is quarantined with humblefish's hybrid TTM.

Just saying,
Jx

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! I feed him multiple times a day. He has a good appetite.

He finished his copper and prazi treatment. He is in observation for one week. One more week to go until he goes into the DT!! I’m very excited.

Attachments

• 13DCBD32-A767-47B4-8412-162197801F7E.jpeg
    13DCBD32-A767-47B4-8412-162197801F7E.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 9DE553C1-0F8C-419A-A2DF-5951850765AF.jpeg
    9DE553C1-0F8C-419A-A2DF-5951850765AF.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 76
Back