My bangii Cardinals had baby's!!!

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking on my reef after lights out with a flashlight last night I found around 5 baby bangii Cardinals swimming around!!!! Iv noticed my male several times with a giant mouth but this is the first time iv actually seen baby's!!!
IMG_20220519_033738.jpg

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cardinals have been trying to have babies for over a year, and daddy just couldn't go the full three weeks - until today!

I was on my way out the door and I noticed the male was eating. "Uh Oh!" I thought, "There goes another batch!" But then, in the corner of the tank I saw something - it was a tiny little cardinal, maybe a 16th of an inch in diameter. Found another one in the sump, too. Got one picture. Here it is. I doubt these little guys are going to survive long, as I'm not set up to help them. I'm going to try and capture them if they are still around when I get home. I'll put them in the return chamber of my AIO with a sponge over the intake grate. There I'll be able to keep an eye on them. Wish me luck!

20220613_063846.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't the pump maybe cause problems in the return chamber?

very cute btw

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't the pump maybe cause problems in the return chamber?

very cute btw
Thanks. That is a possibility. That's why I'm going to cover the intake grate with a sponge filter in the hopes that they can survive. If not, the next time I'm going to set up a maternity tank.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep them in a lower flow area, especially without overflows or intakes, they actually have a reasonable chance. The one you've got pictured is fully developed, so while their energy reserves aren't big and they are bite sized for a lot of things, in a protected area with bits of food and copepods going by, they will eat readily and grow.

Sometimes the male will spit them out when there's still a bit of yolk or when their swim bladder hasn't grown in yet, but once they can swim, so long as you can keep predators away and reasonably low flow, there's a reasonable chance of survival.

They will prefer live food in the first few days, but the fines from frozen food or something like reef frenzy nano should be something they can eat within about a week, and then it's much easier to feed them regularly.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one in my sump. Along with other fry. Which I think are dalmatian Molloy fry also. I got copepods and baby brine shrimp in the sump. I gut feed them before the brine go into my tank and sump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back