My Benggai Cardinals have bred . . .

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pair of Cardinals have bred, I got to see the female's courtship dance, and now the male has a mouthful of eggs. This is day 2 of the 20 - 24 day incubation. So far, so good.

I do not have a nursery tank and I have no plans to get one. However, my tank is a 24 gallon AIO and I was wondering if I manage to get a few of the babies into the sump, put a sponge over the return pump to prevent them from returning to the DT, could they live there until they were big enough to not be eaten by their tankmates? I would feed them TDO A and Coral Nutrition AB+. I'm not keen on growing brine shrimp. I'm OK with letting nature take its course if that's inevitable.

The DT currently houses 3 Red Fire fish and 2 baby Ocellaris Clownfish, along with the 2 Cardinals and some snails and an Emerald Crab.

Any thoughts?
20210711_130217a.jpg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had some babies live in my sump very well.. they will be super tiny and cute (ridiculous long fins to body ratio), but ya i think you need to move them quick caus eI think the parents kill them at some point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back