Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little over 6 months wet

2D184B34-4831-4170-AB1D-752435F9F5B8.jpeg

Looking great !!!
Don’t be excited about coraline, it can turn into a pest after the second year.

Coraline is growing fast everywhere in my tank, even inside my skimmer. I needed to soak pumps and skimmer in vinegar every 3 months.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having a really bad week.. I’m having major issues with my tank, my car broke down and I bit off part of my tongue :mad:

Some off you probably know I’m a caretaker for my adult daughter who is medically disabled so not having transportation isn’t a option, after three days of working on my vehicle out in the freezing cold and rain I think I finally fixed it! All engine warning lights are now off and it seems to be running fairly normal now phew! ;Facepalm

Still not sure what’s up with my tank ;Sour it’s been running like it’s on rails, all parameters are good and holding solid. I have been testing temp, salinity, Ca, Alk, Mg, nitrates, PH and phosphates daily this week (Alk 2x daily). Noticed Tuesday afternoon something looked off, Wednesday my goni’s and a couple other things looked like crap, Thursday my scoly looked distressed and today even worse :( Nothing has changed at all with system except getting doser set up for my Kalkwasser last week. I have been doing 10% water changes every day since I noticed something off on Tuesday (no help), yesterday I fired my skimmer back up and added chemipure and a poly filter to sump (no help).. today I noticed that the worst looking stuff is all grouped together on the left side of my tank down stream from a rock covered with hairy mushrooms, they are pretty nasty and stinky so it got me thinking maybe they are committing chemical warfare on their neighbors? I pulled it from display and put it in my satellite tank with water running through carbon before it drains back into sump.. it’s only been a few hours but things actually seem to look a little better now, hoping for the best ;Nailbiting

The self inflicted damage was my own stupidity, Basically while forcing myself to eat I managed to severely bite my tongue.. I’m blaming it on anxiety, stress and just being dumb ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having a really bad week.. I’m having major issues with my tank, my car broke down and I bit off part of my tongue :mad:

Some off you probably know I’m a caretaker for my adult daughter who is medically disabled so not having transportation isn’t a option, after three days of working on my vehicle out in the freezing cold and rain I think I finally fixed it! All engine warning lights are now off and it seems to be running fairly normal now phew! ;Facepalm

Still not sure what’s up with my tank ;Sour it’s been running like it’s on rails, all parameters are good and holding solid. I have been testing temp, salinity, Ca, Alk, Mg, nitrates, PH and phosphates daily this week (Alk 2x daily). Noticed Tuesday afternoon something looked off, Wednesday my goni’s and a couple other things looked like crap, Thursday my scoly looked distressed and today even worse :( Nothing has changed at all with system except getting doser set up for my Kalkwasser last week. I have been doing 10% water changes every day since I noticed something off on Tuesday (no help), yesterday I fired my skimmer back up and added chemipure and a poly filter to sump (no help).. today I noticed that the worst looking stuff is all grouped together on the left side of my tank down stream from a rock covered with hairy mushrooms, they are pretty nasty and stinky so it got me thinking maybe they are committing chemical warfare on their neighbors? I pulled it from display and put it in my satellite tank with water running through carbon before it drains back into sump.. it’s only been a few hours but things actually seem to look a little better now, hoping for the best ;Nailbiting

The self inflicted damage was my own stupidity, Basically while forcing myself to eat I managed to severely bite my tongue.. I’m blaming it on anxiety, stress and just being dumb ;)

Sounds like you should have stayed in bed today! Sorry to hear about the troubles. Not much experience to give advice with the shroom question.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should have stayed in bed today! Sorry to hear about the troubles. Not much experience to give advice with the shroom question.

Yesterday was actually the best day so far this week so even though I didn’t want to I’m glad I got out of bed ;) it looked like my tank was slowly turning around before I went to bed last night and this morning my scoly looks 100% better from what I can see in the dark.. at least it’s extending tentacles looking for food which it hadn’t done the last couple days :)

Picture taken with flashlight this morning..

E0DB323C-3B45-435A-8552-8058D1FA62F1.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it dawned on me the other parameter I had changed over the last week was pushing my salinity up a couple points from 1.024 to 1.026 in my experience this is nothing that would remotely effect tank but I was still trying to convince myself my readings are correct so armed with a fresh bottle of calibration solution I rechecked my salinity and then made a batch of my own calibration solution using randy’s formula to add some redundancy to my results.. my batch of calibration solution matched BRS solution exactly :)

D6936F5F-D495-4FCA-8353-2319996CE795.png

1.55 grams iodized salt
F8DAE024-E426-4D62-B9EE-41EA4B0A6489.png

40.25 grams distilled water
1949D252-262F-45D5-958A-6806F41B1716.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @Katrina71 you are so kind and always the first to offer help :)

If you can keep Simon busy while I kidnap his Trachy I would feel much better ;):):D;Hilarious
Hmm. Ok. Here's the plan...we find Simon a great job here and get him to move. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider your self spammed, hope things pick up quickly! ;)

DSC08536 (1024x755).jpg

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

Thanks Simon! That’s the kind of spam I don’t mind getting :) Such a great pic of baby, who wouldn’t love a face like that ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a update.. Hairy mushrooms now permanently exiled to crap tank ;) Main display is for the most part back to normal.

B8B6E8C8-B8DC-4F32-8CF7-C6CF10804A8B.png

D24F3738-96F9-4120-9884-080A1E5C4E7C.png

891F4F95-F648-4E6B-8106-BC10982C574D.png

023C0006-B4FD-4CC5-852D-60325E3AB7BD.png

E6D655A6-9CC9-44DC-B107-2C8E402FC4DF.png

Acans look phenomenal man. Well done.

Back