grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! I will have to spend some time studying this, later. This might be just what I'm looking for...

Right now I have two AIO tanks--an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 Display, and an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 Refugium--sitting next to each other (same arrangement as yours). The refugium tank sits about 6" lower than the display and I'm dabbling with two ideas:

1. Plumb the two tanks together directly, with no sump. This would require an HOB overflow on the 20 gallon display, draining into the refugium, and then a return pump in the refugium bringing it back up to the display. In this case, I'd continue to use the filter compartments of the two tanks for all the equipment (mechanical filtration, skimmer, heater, ATO sensors, probes, dosing lines, etc.). Advantage would be I'd only need one of each piece of equipment, instead of two of each when the systems are separate. Major downside is that the rimless AIO tanks run with water level so close to the top, I'm not sure I could keep the refugium from overflowing in a power outage situation.

2. Plumb both tanks down into a DIY 10 gallon sump I would make. In this case, I'd need two HOB overflows, one for each tank. I'd move most of the equipment down into the sump (skimmer, heater, ATO sensors, probes, dosing lines, etc.) and leave only simple mechanical filtration (filter socks/pads) and media in the AIO chambers. Advantage is that I could have much more available volume in the sump for excess water when the returns are off. Major downside is having two overflows and return pumps to worry about, and a lot more stuff to buy (2 HOBs, plumbing, 2 return pumps, sump, new skimmer...).

Don't mean to hijack your thread, I've just been thinking a lot about this lately, and then you showed up with a similar problem and interesting solution, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump would probably be safer and give you more options and a place for all your equipment.. I’ll be running the water level a little low on this refugium, hopefully to help prevent overflows and I’ll also need the lower level to incorporate the float switch if I go that route.. my sump will easily hold the back flow if I have a power outage it’s about 2/3 full after main tank settles when pump is turned off.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some successful testing time to glue my refugium overflow together.. I hate gluing pvc, I always look like preschooler after a finger painting contest when I’m finished ;Hilarious

D788BF58-E08B-46BE-8A99-88835C21A829.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my plumbing all glued together without making to much of a mess :) leak testing the plumbing and everything looks good.. surprised how much water this little pvc overflow will move.

0174BA0F-AA87-49D5-8E84-0DFAE504811F.png

8D5FB3F0-6D3C-4A8E-91EE-151289B09DB0.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stopped by our local reef shop today to pick up a few things and they had some beautiful new John Deere Leptastrea in their frag display.. I figured what the heck, time for my first coral purchase for the new tank :D low light easy to maintain and it already looks better with more polyp extension in my tank than it did in theirs

3929D081-2677-4002-8F64-C60F73AC8181.png

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stopped by our local reef shop today to pick up a few things and they had some beautiful new John Deere Leptastrea in their frag display.. I figured what the heck, time for my first coral purchase for the new tank :D low light easy to maintain and it already looks better with more polyp extension in my tank than it did in theirs

3929D081-2677-4002-8F64-C60F73AC8181.png

That is lovely, I wish I could get that in England. :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So In keeping with my budget build theme I have decided to build my own ATO with redundant fail safe cut off’s.. aqua hub has a almost complete parts package for about $50.. updated my totals to reflect $150 in savings

That looks interesting. Hmmm. You said almost...what are you adding?

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is lovely, I wish I could get that in England. :)

Thanks! Been looking at these on line for a while but never saw one up close it’s beautiful! Just wish I had your camera skills ;) it looks a lot nicer in person but just can’t get a good picture with my iPad.. going to order some filters for it soon, I do use a camera filter app that’s better than nothing but the adjustments are so touchy and it doesn’t focus very well.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks interesting. Hmmm. You said almost...what are you adding?

To complete you need to supply a power cord and pump, I will also be adding a manual kill switch and will need longer float mounting brackets for it to work on my sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your pipe insulation for noise reduction?

Not really, it’s just to take up some room and increase stand off of overflow.. I use self adhesive zip tie mounts on the back of aquarium and secure the whole assembly up against back of tank so it’s also nicer to have that foam buffer between the pipe and tank glass.. and like you said it may reduce noise a little

C6531C81-4D40-4A2A-A46F-F356303439C4.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To complete you need to supply a power cord and pump, I will also be adding a manual fill switch and will need longer float mounting brackets for it to work on my sump.
Would you consider taking pics with each step? I think I know a kid that would love to build that. Yes, he could do it!

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider taking pics with each step? I think I know a kid that would love to build that. Yes, he could do it!

Here is a good video showing basics of the style I made.. fun project I’m sure your son would enjoy

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished up my refugium plumbing today, I needed to make the drain pipe to sump.. it’s all one piece and easy enough to remove and install (I did it 5 times dry fitting.. lol) so cleaning and maintenance should be a breeze..

641499C0-11AD-4B56-90C1-4018F47AD396.png

59FB1EE1-084A-45A9-B6FD-39E68CD9A2E1.png

Back