OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an earlier comment, I went to my lfs earlier as they were expecting an import from Vietnam last night, it has been put back a week, a customer dropped these in a few days ago, £15 a polyp I can do. :)

DSC_0009 (1024x683).jpg

Nice score! get some pics when they open in your tank :)

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Acanthastrea autumn echinata that I grew out from a small frag will be going into tank as soon as lights are installed

9BAE6444-25A0-4149-95E7-0AF5457338E5.png

Absolutely beautiful, it just made my want list and if I can find one, will come off this weekend.....LOL. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, still waking up! ;)

DSC_0015 (1024x700).jpg

They look like a morf of a cinnamon paly, it's my understanding that if they are kept in lower light they tend to develop some color like yours. mine are basically just tan and brown

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful, it just made my want list and if I can find one, will come off this weekend.....LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for visiting my build thread! Just be aware they are a very aggressive coral, anything that gets even close is history ;) I have lost a couple corals from my CUC pushing them in range of the Echinata

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for visiting my build thread! Just be aware they are a very aggressive coral, anything that gets even close is history ;) I have lost a couple corals from my CUC pushing them in range of the Echinata

How much light does it get, I have a rainbow that has been sulking for years?

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light does it get, I have a rainbow that has been sulking for years?

About 100 PAR, They are notoriously slow growers, mine has only grown maybe 1" in four years ;Facepalm they supposedly don't like to much light or flow and will lose colors and wont inflate with to much of either. I have also read multiple places that they are very sensitive to leathers but mine spent the first 3 years only inches from a huge leather in my biocube and didn't seem affected.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention I hate testing? Running a complete analysis of water parameters today, I have been sucked into regular testing with my new system because of 2-part and my insistence on adding things I probably shouldn't.. lol ;Facepalm Good news is everything has balanced out and staying pretty stable so currently only testing for a few key things (alk, NO3&PO4) once or twice a week. Simon I'll let you know how the Iodine goes, thanks for the tips.

F65BB421-7ED1-411E-B5E8-AE597E93A23B.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention I hate testing? Running a complete analysis of water parameters today, I have been sucked into regular testing with my new system because of 2-part and my insistence on adding things I probably shouldn't.. lol ;Facepalm Good news is everything has balanced out and staying pretty stable so currently only testing for a few key things (alk, NO3&PO4) once or twice a week. Simon I'll let you know how the Iodine goes, thanks for the tips.

Whats ur iodine daily dosage if i may ask?

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I test a lot too but nothing really changes that much for me that much except my dKH. I cut back to every two weeks.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats ur iodine daily dosage if i may ask?

I'm dosing approximately 1 small "glug" every week.. lol ( ask @najer for the conversion ;Hilarious )

I'm guessing maybe 3-4 ml a week but I frequently forget so in reality probably about 10ml a month on average. My first round of test last night was inconclusive because readings are supposed to be taken in natural daylight and it was dark by the time I tested :( Im going to get on a regular schedule as soon as I can get a grip on my usage.

I'm using Kent Iodide @ 0.0794%. Their starting point is 5ml per 50 gallons weekly.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test a lot too but nothing really changes that much for me that much except my dKH. I cut back to every two weeks.

Alk is the biggest concern for me also but mine has been stable for months so at this point it's a waste of time testing more than a couple times per week. there have been times that I was testing twice a day.. lol

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing approximately 1 small "glug" every week.. lol ( ask @najer for the conversion ;Hilarious )

I'm guessing maybe 3-4 ml a week but I frequently forget so in reality probably about 10ml a month on average. My first round of test last night was inconclusive because readings are supposed to be taken in natural daylight and it was dark by the time I tested :( Im going to get on a regular schedule as soon as I can get a grip on my usage.

I'm using Kent Iodide @ 0.0794%. Their starting point is 5ml per 50 gallons weekly.

Thanks for the reminder, done! ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is the biggest concern for me also but mine has been stable for months so at this point it's a waste of time testing more than a couple times per week. there have been times that I was testing twice a day.. lol
Iodine is part of the 4 part colors program i dose. Im at about 5mL a week. Maybe i should up it a touch. Wish i had my marin lab results to know for sure. Its been like 8 weeks. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is part of the 4 part colors program i dose. Im at about 5mL a week. Maybe i should up it a touch. Wish i had my marin lab results to know for sure. Its been like 8 weeks. :rolleyes:

will be interested to see your results.. I have been doing a lot of reading and like most things when it comes to reefing people generally disagree on any potential negative or positive benefits. Mostly seems to be beneficial to inverts and softies including zoanthids but can potentially have an adverse reaction if overdosed.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i had my marin lab results to know for sure. Its been like 8 weeks. :rolleyes:

My biggest concern with these test is the time between when sample is taken and when test is actually preformed, mailing something to Europe just seems like a bad idea between time and temp extremes the sample is potentially subjected to. I know they have state side testing now but still hesitating to do my own, seems excessively expensive for what it is. Not sure where marin labs are but if your sample has been sitting 6-7 weeks seems like it would most certainly skew results.

Back