RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some old photos of my octopus :) by far the coolest aquatic creature I have ever kept (crappy 1980’s 35mm disposable camera pictures)

4E0F547A-769C-482B-B228-634C6EDB2FC9.png

C3B98773-9C7B-4960-A7C6-F8A0453C55AA.png

How long did u manage to keep it? Some species' life cycle is only a year right?

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did u manage to keep it? Some species' life cycle is only a year right?

Yep.. had mine almost 1 year to the day, I was devastated when I lost it I had no Idea they only live that long. That thing was crazy smart, it’s pulsating colors and patterns where mesmerizing, I cold easily tell you what mood he was in just by looking at him.. when I would come home from work it would dart to the glass, press his face against it and watch my every move but if anyone else entered the room he would hide. I can’t really explain it but I have been affected for life by that creature even still to this day I get goose bumps every time I think about him.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.. had mine almost 1 year to the day, I was devastated when I lost it I had no Idea they only live that long. That thing was crazy smart, it’s pulsating colors and patterns where mesmerizing, I cold easily tell you what mood he was in just by looking at him.. when I would come home from work it would dart to the glass, press his face against it and watch my every move but if anyone else entered the room he would hide. I can’t really explain it but I have been affected for life by that creature even still to this day I get goose bumps every time I think about him.

Sounds like a great creature. :)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great creature. :)

Wish I had documentation his life, well before the days of digital cameras and the internet it wasn’t as easy as today.. the way it would instantly change it’s colors to blend into the aquascape was amazing and when he was angry, hungry or excited he would display these crazy pulsating patterns on his skin all while simultaneously changing colors. When I would prep to feed him he would know what I was getting ready to do and just go nuts, it was quite the show :) I wanted another but couldn’t deal with the thought of losing it that quick.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started reading this thread but it's just way too long!! Wish I had seen it earlier and followed from the start. Awesome looking setup!

No worries, catch up when you can.. thank you for stopping by and saying hello and thanks for the complement.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had documentation his life, well before the days of digital cameras and the internet it wasn’t as easy as today.. the way it would instantly change it’s colors to blend into the aquascape was amazing and when he was angry, hungry or excited he would display these crazy pulsating patterns on his skin all while simultaneously changing colors. When I would prep to feed him he would know what I was getting ready to do and just go nuts, it was quite the show :) I wanted another but couldn’t deal with the thought of losing it that quick.

I fancied doing cuttle fish, similar life span, what if you can accept how long they live and try to breed them?! ;)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fancied doing cuttle fish, similar life span, what if you can accept how long they live and try to breed them?! ;)

I’ll follow your lead ;) I haven’t seen them for sale in a very long time, at that time a good friends family ran a aquatic shop and they got it for me from one of their wholesalers.​

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll follow your lead ;) I haven’t seen them for sale in a very long time, at that time a good friends family ran a aquatic shop and they got it for me from one of their wholesalers.​

Bog off that means I need to try cuttle fish first, ha, not as dumb as I am! :p

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So big reefing day planned :D

1. Clean all glass inside and out
2. Clean powerheads
3. Clean tank and do water change
4. Receive, acclimate and introduce new corals
5. Rearranging and moving some things to my Biocube
6. Frag gorgi
7. Finish installing RKL.. complete programming, calibration of PH probe and install safety overflow float sensor for my refugium

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mind the salt creep on my sump, it’s on the list.. Mrs Retro wants me to cover the stand but I’m resisting.. I like being able to see the “engine”;)

6FC94F85-5CDD-4265-8B3D-0A4D03D24A0F.jpeg

I felt the same way, plus it's a peace of mind being able to watch it daily.

But then I closed it up and man, all I hear it water gurgling and flowing. So nice...

Now, no one cares about salt creep. Whip those babies out and Show us the pics!
(Demand)

Always exciting days when livestock arrives. :D

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the same way, plus it's a peace of mind being able to watch it daily.

But then I closed it up and man, all I hear it water gurgling and flowing. So nice...

Now, no one cares about salt creep. Whip those babies out and Show us the pics!
(Demand)

Always exciting days when livestock arrives. :D

A little sneak peek..

EB960CFE-E4D8-4059-83FD-4C7DFEDF7EBE.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back