OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no acro pro, but I was told more flow encourages the type of growth you want. Please tag me if you find out it's not true. I'm curious.

Still working on flow but I find it strange it’s growing at the tip and base like it is.. wasn’t the best frag but I wanted a sps test piece and it was all my LFS had in their cheap’o section;)

642303D7-B3D1-4052-8B3B-25DC971B5097.png

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great man!

Thank you.. turned 1 year old in July so it’s still just a baby ;). So far it’s been a very stable tank with minimal issues, I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice from the acro pro’s out there.. this thing has had some great growth at the base and is now starting to take off at the very tip but nothing in the middle. I’m thinking maybe I should cut the top off?

0C563560-8B57-4934-9262-B276D94F7F4C.jpeg

I would leave it, it is well based out and throwing branches, was the long bit damaged at the tip when you got it?
It has used it's energy making itself safe, basing out, watch this puppy go! ;)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it, it is well based out and throwing branches, was the long bit damaged at the tip when you got it?
It has used it's energy making itself safe, basing out, watch this puppy go! ;)

No damage to the tip.. The base has encrusted surrounding rock and has little branches popping up all over, I was thinking maybe if I cut the main branch off it would develop better form? Also the very top looks like it would make a nice little frag :) probably take your advice and let it go for now, hate to stagger growth or trigger a possible RTN event.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to believe that it might just encrust over the skeleton.

That’s what I would assume, just a little hesitant to snip it ;)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finding my PH monitor to be much more useful than I anticipated. After observing trends I was able to set my fuge light to come on when my Ph starts to fall for the day, also tweaked my Kalk doser to match which is helping to reduce daily swings! Finding it also useful for determining if my house may have higher levels of Co2 than normal and also if my Alk is lower than it should be.. future plans include using it along with my controller to shut down Kalkwasser and Alk/Cal dosers If I have a failure which would most likely lead to a PH spike.

5B1EF37C-8EA3-47A3-A98F-0605AF7D7661.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son has a few sps in higher flow areas and they get thick first and then branch out. Makes sense they are trying to cover more area to secure themselves. His lower flow sps are taller and skinny.

That would make sense and one reason I’m questioning the growth of that particular piece.. it’s doing both, aggressively encrusting base along with skinny strait growth at tip.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was really hoping to maintain this tank with Kalkwasser as I have done with every Reef I have ever had but for many months now I have had to use 2 part to keep up with demands..

it’s really frustrating trying to keep my Alk in line with usage being so unpredictable in such a young and quickly growing tank, I have constantly been pushing for a target of around 8-8.5 dkh upping my daily dosages from initially 5ml when I started 2 part up to 20ml over the last couple days and it just keeps dropping.

I was at 7.3 last night so taking estimated usage in account I calculated amounts needed to bring dkh up to around 7.8 over 24 hrs. When I just checked my Alk tonight I’m down to 6.9! :mad: this is after two days of dosing more than I ever have ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have been resisting automation I think it’s time to get some dosing pumps for Alk & Cal. My system for Kalk dosing has been working great and really simplifies the process so I guess automated dosing of 2 part should be no different..

This is what I’m considering, Kamoer x1 micro pumps with blue tooth control via app, they have good reviews and are really inexpensive! only flaw is they will not resume after a power failure and would have to be reconnected and recalibrated if power is lost. Luckily we rarely if ever have outages and I’m home most of the time so this shouldn’t be much of a issue.

8F4991A9-6511-4267-9FF2-64DB412369B3.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, I admittedly have a thing for colored Christmas lights. That just trumped them!!!

It’s Xmas in August ;)

Great picture the Gorgonian looks fantastic

Honestly wasn’t expecting much from this gorgi and still not sure how it will do long term but so far it seems very happy, healthy and appears to be attaching to rock.

Back