OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a camera system to see if I can figure out what’s damaging my scoly. I also have either a mantis or pistol shrimp that’s been in the tank since the beginning and would like to find out which it is and maybe where it’s hiding :)

59A1A27A-385C-45A3-A1BE-D87B719FAFD3.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a camera system to see if I can figure out what’s damaging my scoly. I also have either a mantis or pistol shrimp that’s been in the tank since the beginning and would like to find out which it is and maybe where it’s hiding :)

59A1A27A-385C-45A3-A1BE-D87B719FAFD3.jpeg
Oooh! This is exciting!

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty cool, how do you like your overflow? I have one of the same brand but is a pf-1000. Hopefully my 60 gallon comes looking just as nice. :)

Sorry I missed this, I need to a better job keeping up my journal ;) I have used HOB overflows from several manufacturers over the years and I feel the eshopps HOB’s is the best so far. The PF-1000 may be overkill for your 60, you need to push them hard to keep air pockets from forming in U tubes and that’s going to be a lot of turnover for a 60.. you may be able to pull one of the tubes to reduce the amount of flow needed to keep it running smoothly.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spent the whole day Friday cleaning my tank, algae issues are persisting and my NPS and a few other things are suffering badly :( Not sure what direction to take, my CUC are being decimated as quickly as I introduce them (dinner for my mantis ;Facepalm).

quick picture from yesterday morning under the blues (just for Simon ;)).. figured I better take some while the tank is presentable ;Hilarious

2A6E332C-4E79-4901-A2FA-B903489B5F59.png

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scoly is struggling after the latest damage, as many of you know it’s been through a few rough patches and always bounced back but this time things don’t look good. I pulled it yesterday and dipped it in revive and then placed it in the front of tank to see if things will improve. Not holding my breath ;)

Picture from yesterday with all lights on..

D1E91AC1-9F03-4683-B4A0-7EFF29A7F945.png

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have treated myself to a new frag :)

2C02AE25-F6C7-4F3B-93FF-8D346519D15C.png

Some may say the reward is in the result but what's the point of all the hard work with a reward? ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ur dealing with the algae issues... hope the scoly pulls through.

I'm a big believer in letting it burn itself out and exhaust the nutrients etc, but with how many coral u have packed in so tightly, i can see myself leaning towards trying a dose or two of some product too.

Hang in there.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ur dealing with the algae issues... hope the scoly pulls through.

I'm a big believer in letting it burn itself out and exhaust the nutrients etc, but with how many coral u have packed in so tightly, i can see myself leaning towards trying a dose or two of some product too.

Hang in there.

Thanks man.. first time in years that I have had any hair algae in my tanks, after many months of trying to get some detectable levels of N&P by dumping loads of food and aminos into my system I finally got my wish with a staggering .5 P04 reading (still “0“ N03) and along with that came the algae explosion :( I have since reduced phosphates to .07 and finally have 1ppm N03 by dosing NeoNitrate daily for the last few weeks. I hope balancing nutrients will help along with good husbandry to turn the corner, struggling to keep my CUC intact isn’t helping things so may be time to get aggressive in removing the mantis.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man.. first time in years that I have had any hair algae in my tanks, after many months of trying to get some detectable levels of N&P by dumping loads of food and aminos into my system I finally got my wish with a staggering .5 P04 reading (still “0“ N03) and along with that came the algae explosion :( I have since reduced phosphates to .07 and finally have 1ppm N03 by dosing NeoNitrate daily for the last few weeks. I hope balancing nutrients will help along with good husbandry to turn the corner, struggling to keep my CUC intact isn’t helping things so may be time to get aggressive in removing the mantis.
I've heard they are fairly easy to trap do to their lack of fear and voracious appetites. Bait and trap. But we all know it wouldnt be that easy, it never is ;)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard they are fairly easy to trap do to their lack of fear and voracious appetites. Bait and trap. But we all know it wouldnt be that easy, it never is ;)

No it’s never that easy.. lol, I have removed a few over the years but never by trapping them. typically if I can isolate the rock they are in and pull it from system, and then pour a little club soda into their hole the will flee in a hurry ;). The last heavily stocked tank that I had one in, it literally took years for me to finally get it out :( That particular one was very brazen and would come to front of glass and taunt me at every opportunity ;Hilarious I ended up making a miniature spear gun, baited him out with a rotten piece of shrimp and I speared his **** ;Troll I kept him in my freezer for years and would occasionally pull it out and gloat over my victory :). Should of had it mounted and hung over my fireplace.. lol.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you still struggling with algae. Hope you get the aggressor out soon

Thanks man, I’m about to go Commando on the entire tank.. lol ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, I’m about to go Commando on the entire tank.. lol ;)

I, for one, am someone who hopes no pics of this activity are taken. Poor fish... ;Hilarious

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn’t work on the tank wearing nothing but a banana hammock
I so feel more comfortable doing my maintenance in my mankini now! ;)

Totally agree, however, that doesn't mean I want to see pics or even accidential reflection mistakes! :p

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back