OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell us that you are not going to do it nekkid?! ;)
I, for one, am someone who hopes no pics of this activity are taken. Poor fish... ;Hilarious
Who doesn’t work on the tank wearing nothing but a banana hammock
I so feel more comfortable doing my maintenance in my mankini now! ;)
Totally agree, however, that doesn't mean I want to see pics or even accidential reflection mistakes! :p

you guy’s get your heads out of the gutter.. lol

this is actually more what I had in mind, of course you can’t tell if he has pants on ;Hilarious

412B03D4-9D67-4E23-B497-534AA8A4BE40.jpeg

reefdoink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this, I need to a better job keeping up my journal ;) I have used HOB overflows from several manufacturers over the years and I feel the eshopps HOB’s is the best so far. The PF-1000 may be overkill for your 60, you need to push them hard to keep air pockets from forming in U tubes and that’s going to be a lot of turnover for a 60.. you may be able to pull one of the tubes to reduce the amount of flow needed to keep it running smoothly.

I have the Octo Reef Varios 4 dc return pump that should be more than enough to keep up. I actually bought oversized in hopes of upgrading to 75 or 90 gallon setup in the future. My sump is almost 20 gallons, so I got room to play and tune it in.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Octo Reef Varios 4 dc return pump that should be more than enough to keep up. I actually bought oversized in hopes of upgrading to 75 or 90 gallon setup in the future. My sump is almost 20 gallons, so I got room to play and tune it in.

you should be ok. having the DC pump makes it super easy to tune, that’s what I’m using. You want to visually watch the U tubes when you get it running and make sure any bubbles blast right through the tubes. If they collect in the top of the tube eventually syphon will fail. Even if they pass through you may notice them “dancing” at the end of the tubes, this indicates there is still not quite enough flow..

I also recommend buying some extra foam pre filters, I try to clean or swap them out every month.. more if your tank is dirty or heavy feeding and less often for a cleaner tank.

another thing I highly recommend is gutter guard in your overflow box inside tank. You can get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I just cut a couple pieces to fit around U tube and wedge them inside the box, this will prevent snails from potentially blocking the U tube and causing a failure. I do 2 pieces and overlap them to make the openings smaller.

247FCBD6-CB91-43B2-8AD8-ED6E76307F1E.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be ok. having the DC pump makes it super easy to tune, that’s what I’m using. You want to visually watch the U tubes when you get it running and make sure any bubbles blast right through the tubes. If they collect in the top of the tube eventually syphon will fail. Even if they pass through you may notice them “dancing” at the end of the tubes, this indicates there is still not quite enough flow..

I also recommend buying some extra foam pre filters, I try to clean or swap them out every month.. more if your tank is dirty or heavy feeding and less often for a cleaner tank.

another thing I highly recommend is gutter guard in your overflow box inside tank. You can get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I just cut a couple pieces to fit around U tube and wedge them inside the box, this will prevent snails from potentially blocking the U tube and causing a failure. I do 2 pieces and overlap them to make the openings smaller.

Wonderful idea, @Retro Reefer ! Do you get any type of buildup, algae or otherwise, on the gutter gaurd?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful idea, @Retro Reefer ! Do you get any type of buildup, algae or otherwise, on the gutter gaurd?

not really, I have pulled a clump or two of bubble algae out of there but I have only thoroughly cleaned the box one time since the tank was set up.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Funny, Brew and I were talking about this the other day. I was going to use craft canvas.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, Brew and I were talking about this the other day. I was going to use craft canvas.

If you need any just let me know I would be happy to send you some, I have enough for a hundred tanks.. lol

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre filter? In the overflow? Excuse my ignorance. I'm learning.

yes inside the overflow box, I’ll get a picture when lights come on.. I guess it would act as a course prefilter but mainly to keep snails from blocking the overflow tube.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been quietly waiting to hear how the algae issue was unfolding for u. Glad to hear ur making progress. Everything looks great as usual.. cheers.

Lobophyllia? That green is hypnotizing.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back