My Biocube 32 LED Reef tank build

Florida Dan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow start due to stay-at-home orders..
I bought the tank, water, sand , rock, etc. at a local fish store in Sarasota FL. My goal is currently fish, soft corals and LPS corals. Mostly I want to get the process down for maintaining chemistry and being a good fish owner, then I'll likely get a much larger tank and use this for something else. It is currently stock but I want to get the InTank media tower and refugium, and a refugium light for the back. I'm using the stock filter cartridge and some ceramic rings in the bottom of the stock filter rack.

The fish store recommended using bagged sand and prepared water (Nature's ocean sand, and Nutri-seawater water). I added (2) 20 lb bags of sand, and filled with water almost to the top leaving room for the rocks. I didn't rinse the sand because that seemed to defeat the purpose of using sand with bacteria in it, so my water was initially CLOUDY. After 2 days it cleared up enough to see the rocks strewn on the bottom.

The epoxy came so I made a basic structure. Now I'm testing water and waiting to be able to visit a fish store for some fish and a few coral. Probably start with 2 clownfish, some Zoa and something like a hammer coral.

In order the pictures:
1. Stuff waiting to put together. I didn't get any epoxy initially so I waited to get that to begin.
2. Tank filled, rocks just jumbled on the bottom. I couldn't wait for the epoxy to start...
3 and 4. Tank cleared up and rocks epoxied together. The white epoxy stuck out a lot so I used a little magenta Sharpie to tone it down. I'd seen sharpie writing on frag buttons at the store so I felt that it was OK.

Hopefully in a few weeks I can travel to look at more local fish stores. I haven't had that "OMG, I love that store" moment yet. Sadly there are no stores within 30 minutes other than box stores. I'd like to find a good one and stick with them through the process, so I hope I find one.

Dan

1_BioCubeStuff.jpg 2_CloudyTank.jpg 3_TankFront.jpg 4_TankSide.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck Dan.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited for you, I remember that feeling when starting my Biocube 32. I purchased my tank about a month after Hurricane Irma here in Florida. Now 3 years later I've had many experiences ranging from good to crashing. The Biggest mistake I made was not having an ato until it was to late.Overall your Off to great start Best wishes on your new tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Florida Dan

Florida Dan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Since the last update I added:

InTank media basket with foam on top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle rack, and bio-rings on the bottom
InTank refugium basket with Chaeto and pods (cocopods, or is that the chocolate cereal?). Aqua Gadget ChaetoMax light on the back of the tank
Another 20 pounds or so of live rock
Tunza Turbelle Nanostream 6055
Had someone 3D print 2 brackets to mount additional fans to the lid. Tank was staying too hot (Florida) at around 82 degrees. These fans take it to 76. Much happier tank. Picture attached.

Livestock:
2 generic clownfish
2 bowtie damselfish (stupid impulse buy, but they were so cute...)
Yellow watchman goby
Tiger pistol shrimp
Hammer coral
Zoa's/paly's
Duncan
2 Favia, not in place yet

I'll add more pictures when I have time.

2020-06-28.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back