My black ribbon eel hasn’t eaten for 2 weeks...

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

After moving, my black ribbon eel hasn’t eaten for 2 weeks? It looks healthy. How can I do with it? His favorite food is small cod before, but now he just ignores it.

Thanks

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zebra did this when I first got him. Everytime I move him he won't eat for a week. I feed raw shrimp from the grocery store and krill. I would keep trying every couple days. Should eat eventually.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that black Ribbon Eels are some of the most difficult fish to keep in an aquarium specifically because they often won't eat. With eels a 1-2 week hunger strike is not uncommon but if it were me I would add some cheap mollies in as feeders. Often live food is all the eels will accept. If the eel still won't eat you may need to wait. If he eats the live feeders then continue to offer frozen and work on transitioning him. From my experience this can take months with Ribbon Eels and it isn't always effective.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Before moving, every three or four days, I fed it 2 frozen cods. Ok, I will wait and observe it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens regularly with eels to go off feeding after a move or some other change. Ribbon eels can be even more difficult, as they are much more difficult to feed to begin with, many times needing live food to elicit a feeding response, If it continues you may have to offer something live to get him going again. The fact is it is a rare achievement to keep a ribbon eel long term on a dead only diet.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens regularly with eels to go off feeding after a move or some other change. Ribbon eels can be even more difficult, as they are much more difficult to feed to begin with, many times needing live food to elicit a feeding response, If it continues you may have to offer something live to get him going again. The fact is it is a rare achievement to keep a ribbon eel long term on a dead only diet.
Thank you! I will find something live to feed it.

Back