My blue hippo tang is hiding and not eating.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my blue hippo tang for a few years. He has been a good feeder and always a shy tang. For about a month He has been hiding more than usual and isn't eating. He comes out of hiding when there is food but he doesn't eat. I never caught him eating nori either. He isn't thin and still quite plump. All my other fish are fine. Does anyone have an idea why he won't eat?

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my blue hippo tang for a few years. He has been a good feeder and always a shy tang. For about a month He has been hiding more than usual and isn't eating. He comes out of hiding when there is food but he doesn't eat. I never caught him eating nori either. He isn't thin and still quite plump. All my other fish are fine. Does anyone have an idea why he won't eat?

He’s on hunger strike till you do a water change

Just kidding. Mine used to do that from time to time.

He will eat when he is ready

Put some nori on a clip for him

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if I do nothing he might die. Should I move him to my other tank so there is less fish to stress him out? Rn he lives in a fowlr with a naso, powder blue tang, and a Picasso trigger. If I move him to my reef his only competition will be a powder brown and a yellow tang. I said above he comes out but doesnt eat but for the past few days he didn't come out at all and is hiding more than usual. Other than waiting what is something I can do? Put garlic to entice him to eat maybe. Any help will be appreciated
Thanks.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pictures. Sorry for the quality. The spots are just gunk floating around because I cleaned the glass to get a pic.

20180311_140926.jpg

20180311_140930.jpg

20180311_140933(0).jpg

20180311_140936.jpg

20180311_140938.jpg

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethings up right? I would try 10% weekly water changes and alternate three of four types of frozen foods.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? and how big are his tank mates? Shy and hippo blue tang are not words I would use to describe their behavior? I think he is being bullied...?

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethings up right? I would try 10% weekly water changes and alternate three of four types of frozen foods.

I have been doing 10% weekly water changes ever since he has been with me. I'll try some different foods to get him to eat.

How big is your tank? and how big are his tank mates? Shy and hippo blue tang are not words I would use to describe their behavior? I think he is being bullied...?

Hy hippo tang is about 6 inches long in a 125 gallon tank. His tank mates are a Picasso trigger, a larger naso tang and a powder blue tang. I know that this tank is to small for the naso and hippo tang but i rescued them together from an even smaller tank and I plan in upgrading. I don't think the powder blue bullies the hippo tang. I never saw aggressive behaviour and the hippo tang doesn't even flinch when the powder blue swims near.

Back