My cat pooped in my reef tank yesterday

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got back in to state that I dont mean to be against cats. they provide an important and essential societal and ecological function, the felids

its that I can't find any posts stating my pup/my dog pooped in my reef.

the gradient starts there

it amounts to sheer will and planning on the part of an otherwise seemingly innocent animal vs not one incident in recorded human history by a canid. how anyone owns a cat and doesn't stay armed with a spray bottle 24x7 is beyond

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basic operant conditioning says if you spray the cat when its bad, behavior improves

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got back in to state that I dont mean to be against cats. they provide an important and essential societal and ecological function, the felids

it amounts to sheer will and planning on the part of an otherwise seemingly innocent animal vs not one incident in recorded human history by a canid. how anyone owns a cat and doesn't stay armed with a spray bottle 24x7 is beyond
Yes, in other news, I've upgraded my spray bottle for this cat. The ones home depot sells seem to be industrial grade, and I can get her from across the room. I've had many chances to practice my aim over the past few days lol

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’ve never met the pug I had to share living space with. He looked me dead in the eyes once and pooed on the carpet and casually went to the one spot he knew I couldn’t get him and mocked me. I’m convinced that if I were in the hobby then he would have figured out a way how to. Just sayin, pugs are also spawns of Satan from what I understand.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a first generation bengal kitten, and last night she pooped in my sump. The water got a little nasty and a very small ammonia spike. Everything is doing fine, some corals seem to be doing better.
Anything else to worry about? She eats a diet of raw meat. I am blocking off the sump so this can not happen again. I figure its not much different than a giant fish pooping. Tank is about 300 gallons total vol.
I was not able to remove the poop or do a water change. She also pooped in the water change container (full).
This system has a huge UV sterilizer on it. Water cleared up very quickly.
Wow, your cat certainly finds unique places to poop.

I know I would have went into a panic, so that would not bode well for the kitty, since I have a huge passion for my reef.

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have a Bengal as well, I think he's a gen 2 and I will say they are a handful. He turns off light switch's , he figured out how to work the faucet so now we have to rubber band the lever when we are not home, or he will flood the house. He once turned off the heating system from the emergency switch and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Great cats, and they look like little leopards but they are a lot of work.

Attachments

• 20210509_095247 (1).jpg
    20210509_095247 (1).jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 28

Penny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a first generation bengal kitten, and last night she pooped in my sump. The water got a little nasty and a very small ammonia spike. Everything is doing fine, some corals seem to be doing better.
Anything else to worry about? She eats a diet of raw meat. I am blocking off the sump so this can not happen again. I figure its not much different than a giant fish pooping. Tank is about 300 gallons total vol.
I was not able to remove the poop or do a water change. She also pooped in the water change container (full).
This system has a huge UV sterilizer on it. Water cleared up very quickly.
Seems to me like you have a Golden Opportunity window! Close up the sump, open up the toilet. Potty train that kitty! Bengals are smart/crazy enough to figure it out on their own. :D

Reefhab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hope the OP corals don't have a sudden growth spurt or develop more vibrant colors. Then we'll have to have a "Cat Box Sump" forum and debate the best types of cat and how we put our cats on timers.

And who knows what kinds of products will hit the shelves.

On second thought, reefers will buy almost anything...here kitty, kitty, kitty.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL! Well he has a F1 bengal and this means the father was a full Asian leopard… like from the wild :) In the wild the Asian leopard uses water as a toilet to cover its scent. So this is a very natural instinct for his cat! The domestic tabby is very unlikely to use a sump as a toilet and many don’t care for water and it’s natural too bury it in the dirt instead.

Dogs might be more trouble too if people kept ones 50 percent wolf in their house! Wolves still retain the instinct to mark and pee and poop on stuff to mark their territory. So it could be your chair or such!

Behaviors are often unpredictable with hybrids with them picking up traits from both sides. Some maybe more from one side then the other.

That’s not to say domestic cats can’t do naughty things! Ofc my Siberian husky chewed up not one but two couches in her younger years! And I mean the couch was fine and you come back and it’s gutted like a wild deer kill! Man she was cute though so you couldn’t even be mad.

His cat would be perfect for a picture with one of the shaming signs.

34B9FFA4-02A9-42F8-B04E-4C6BE6DDA713.jpeg

05DDA564-B376-43B7-8724-B193C6745623.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spray those cats above what happens to the face of the sprayer holder/ the one aiming

and how fast

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me like you have a Golden Opportunity window! Close up the sump, open up the toilet. Potty train that kitty! Bengals are smart/crazy enough to figure it out on their own. :D
I tried, she is pooping in the bath tub where I was holding the water change water. I've had the other one open - but she prefers ripping the toilet paper in there!
Shes a fun kitten, but a handful!

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, FYI: Bengals have enough wild cat in them that they still pass waste in moving water. That means the tank, sump, WC station, are all viable options. It's also why they can be toilet trained lol
Yea lol, she has been a handful to say the least. I keep a bucket of water in the bath tub and she takes care of #1 and #2 in the bucket... lol, at least she is leaving the tanks alone!
Shes got a lot of Asian Leopard cat in her as her dad was a wild Asian Leopard and mom was a bengal cat.
Shes a sweet girl, but lots of work.

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea lol, she has been a handful to say the least. I keep a bucket of water in the bath tub and she takes care of #1 and #2 in the bucket... lol, at least she is leaving the tanks alone!
Shes got a lot of Asian Leopard cat in her as her dad was a wild Asian Leopard and mom was a bengal cat.
Shes a sweet girl, but lots of work.
Yep. They are. Gorgeous cats but a first generation is still wild enough to be a handful their whole lives.

Back