My clam fell and can't get up!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went down to check my tank yesterday and my clam had fallen off its rock. It had been there for over a year and was healthy prior. It still extends and withdraws appropriately and looks healthy so I'm trying to figure out why it fell and what to do now. Anyone have ideas as to why it would fall off its rock?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1504659321819.jpg

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump - I tried putting him back where he was and he fell again, tried a different spot and he fell there, too, so now he's on the sand bed, listing to one side but apparently happy.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I’ll keep an eye on him (Her? It?) and make sure he gets enough light. He does keep falling over so I might get some sort of plate/tray fro him to rest on .

I was down at the tank earlier and noticed this. It looks like his foot is trying to grab on to the snail! Apparently his foot is intact, making it more of a mystery why he let go from his previous perch.

1608658706238.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I’ll keep an eye on him (Her? It?) and make sure he gets enough light. He does keep falling over so I might get some sort of plate/tray fro him to rest on .

I was down at the tank earlier and noticed this. It looks like his foot is trying to grab on to the snail! Apparently his foot is intact, making it more of a mystery why he let go from his previous perch.

1608658706238.jpeg
How long have you had the flat worms? They can irritate clams.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dig a small pit in sand and set clam in it to make it easier for foot to attach to bottom of tank. Use a few pieces of rubble rock to help stay upright if needed.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell clam holders specifically to hold clams upright.
Yeah, I was thinking of getting one.

How long have you had the flat worms? They can irritate clams.
Can't remember exactly when they started popping up - several months ago, IIRC. I was mostly ignoring them since everything else seems to be doing fine. Well, except my clam! Now I need to figure out if it's worth treating them.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the chemical means, but looks like you have a good population. Try the grab at night method a bit and if you use flatworm exit, be careful and watch the tank. Have lots of water ready for change and carbon on hand. Good luck! Hope the clam adjusts.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like here. Only I run the system, buy the livestock, and just tell the hubby what I need built if I cannot figure it out (anything electrical). :)
wish my wife would do more research or join the forum. she buys things that are pretty. i gave her the list of what we have now and told her to make sure and ask if the things she wants are compatible. I was really going for a FOWLR for now, but she kind of changed it up and now I have to worry about more water parameters and lighting requirements than before ;Blackeye ;Meh ;Shifty ;Greedy ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the chemical means, but looks like you have a good population. Try the grab at night method a bit and if you use flatworm exit, be careful and watch the tank. Have lots of water ready for change and carbon on hand. Good luck! Hope the clam adjusts.
Yeah - I may try sucking them up with a siphon and filtering the water back into the sump to get rid of as many as I can first. It's a 120 gallon and I have a 32 gal mixing bin so I can only do a 20-25% water change max. I've read a bit about flatworm exit and am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger since everything else is pretty happy!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in my 210g when my infestation was bad. I only had about 30g to do a change with and it was fine. However, you may want to get another bin to fill for a temporary solution to have more water on hand.
I am very careful since my rebuild. I hated having those guys and it took many tries to eradicate them. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in my 210g when my infestation was bad. I only had about 30g to do a change with and it was fine. However, you may want to get another bin to fill for a temporary solution to have more water on hand.
I am very careful since my rebuild. I hated having those guys and it took many tries to eradicate them. Good luck with it.
Thanks - I have a 32 gallon mixing reservoir and a 32 gallon RO/DI reservoir. I could probably fill and mix up salt in both. If I don't need the extra I can simply drain it down to the regular salt reservoir.

I picked up a box. Just need to find a day when I have the time to set stuff and use it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ouch on flatworms. Try the natural method first utilizing a lunare or melanurus wrasse.
I dont trust flatworm exit with clam.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back