Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can fix it
B27319E8-54CB-4E32-9549-020E297FB66A.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ndewys welcome to the club! Is there a fish that might be bullying the clown? Another clown maybe? How is it acting and eating?

OP
OP
N

ndewys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ndewys welcome to the club! Is there a fish that might be bullying the clown? Another clown maybe? How is it acting and eating?
Yes there is one other clown fish it acted a little aggressive when I first introduced them to each other but there hasn’t been any other aggression since and they are both eating fine.

Peter_in_the_city

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bacterial infection from tank aggression but it is hard to tell. Good to hear the fish is eating!

I am quoting Humblefish on this but I agree with what they said.

"When to QT and pull the trigger on using antibiotics is not an easy decision; it's a judgment call.

As a general rule, I only pull & treat if: (a) The fish looks really bad or (b) It is a newly acquired fish showing signs of infection. "

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clown get beaten up pretty bad by the female every now and then. They are a pair and have been together for well over a year. At times I have seen his tail and fins in a real mess but after a few weeks they are back to normal. I just keep the water good and feed good quality food.

Are your clowns already a pair or have you recently added them and hoped they would pair?

OP
OP
N

ndewys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clown get beaten up pretty bad by the female every now and then. They are a pair and have been together for well over a year. At times I have seen his tail and fins in a real mess but after a few weeks they are back to normal. I just keep the water good and feed good quality food.

Are your clowns already a pair or have you recently added them and hoped they would pair?
I had the female for close to a year now just added a new male so they could just be getting used to each other

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tail shows aggression damage from nipping (typically what the bully clown goes for). Additionally on the tail, not sure if we are seeing bacteria but rather lymphocystis infection which appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills. When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins.
Your recourse is to:
  1. isolate all infected fish in a Quarantine Tank.
  2. Feed a healthy diet, including supplements such as selcon vitamins and garlic extract in the foods.
  3. Treat for secondary infection . Maracyn 2 or ruby Rally reef are good treatments.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the female for close to a year now just added a new male so they could just be getting used to each other
To me it looks like aggression has caused it, I've heard many times that the female might not accept the male.

OP
OP
N

ndewys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tail shows aggression damage from nipping (typically what the bully clown goes for). Additionally on the tail, not sure if we are seeing bacteria but rather lymphocystis infection which appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills. When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins.
Your recourse is to:
  1. isolate all infected fish in a Quarantine Tank.
  2. Feed a healthy diet, including supplements such as selcon vitamins and garlic extract in the foods.
  3. Treat for secondary infection . Maracyn 2 or ruby Rally reef are good treatments.
Thank you for the information I’ll get right on it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back