My clown is on the ground and crawling around... why could this be?

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 7 hours ago he was swimming all around. This morning I enter the room and see that he refuses to swim. His two side fins are flapping but he can't get any lift. Even pretending to feed him has not motivated him enough to swim up.

Any help will be appreciated.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's swimming... This little guy gave me a heart attack!

I never saw him do that before. I know the lights went on a few moments ago. Normally he starts swimming around when he sees me walk in.

Anyway.. false alarm... I hope

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but, he looking a lil thin. The reflection of him looks like his lateral line is showing.
His lateral line is showing!!

I have been feeding him twice a day SA Dry Hatchery 1.2mm pellets (very small amount 6 or so pellets). As well as a small amount of either frozen mysis shrimp OR 2-3 pellets of Neptune/Reef Nutrition CD.

What is strange is he seems to have a belly. At certain angles I can see the "black/purple" stomach. But his rear section is thin.

Will try to bulk him up. I think the mysis shrimp is too large for him, he only goes after the smaller bits. I don't mind too much since I have a few hermit crabs to chase leftovers.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he was looking at his own reflection. Give him a friend maybe ?
You know what someone else said that on Reddit. I thought they were being a wiseA$$ perhaps you are right.

Friday I have some zoas and a mushroom arriving from WWC's live sale. I will then be away for a week. After that i'll add another fish or at least a torch to hopefully host.

It's a young tank and I'm trying to not add too much at once. I added a small amount of CUC last week and started the lights.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what someone else said that on Reddit. I thought they were being a wiseA$$ perhaps you are right.

Friday I have some zoas and a mushroom arriving from WWC's live sale. I will then be away for a week. After that i'll add another fish or at least a torch to hopefully host.

It's a young tank and I'm trying to not add too much at once. I added a small amount of CUC last week and started the lights.
I’d say wait on the coral if you can. You just started the lights tells me that your tank is very new. I waited for the initial diatom bloom to die off before adding coral. I don’t think fish mind the diatoms as much as coral do. I also went from feeding pellets to frozen mysis and brine. My clown and yellow watchman have fattened up since I started and I also am in the process of fattening up a mandarin with frozen food. I feed 3x’s a day. 2 cubes last about 4 days. The mandarin had a lateral line when I got him and a few people told me he was done for. It’s been a month or so and I see him improving in weight. If your clown eats and isn’t gaining you may want to consider prazipro for parasites. I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will chime in. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say wait on the coral if you can. You just started the lights tells me that your tank is very new. I waited for the initial diatom bloom to die off before adding coral. I don’t think fish mind the diatoms as much as coral do. I also went from feeding pellets to frozen mysis and brine. My clown and yellow watchman have fattened up since I started and I also am in the process of fattening up a mandarin with frozen food. I feed 3x’s a day. 2 cubes last about 4 days. The mandarin had a lateral line when I got him and a few people told me he was done for. It’s been a month or so and I see him improving in weight. If your clown eats and isn’t gaining you may want to consider prazipro for parasites. I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will chime in. Best of luck!
I'll start feeding frozen once a day and look to add Rod's or LRS as these two names seem to come up often.

Back