My clownfish aren't eating, something is up with my tank, help please.

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did post this same message in another thread, sorry, I wasn't sure if it the correct category so I decided to post it here as well.

I have noticed that my fish have been acting weird lately, and I tested my nitrate and phosphate, my nitrates were at 35 ppm, phosphate was at 1.76. Yes I know that is pretty high but I have not been overfeeding my fish, and I only have 3 fish in my 30 gallon tank. I have a ton of coral and they are all doing just fine. My 2 clownfish have not been swimming up at the top as usual and they look like they are breathing heavily but they aren't sitting on their side or anything. I don't know what to do because I keep up with my water changes and I thought everything was doing just fine. I had my court jester goby die yesterday out of no where, he was doing find the whole day then just died out of no where. I also have a yellow wrasse and he is doing fine, swimming everywhere.

I have a hang on the back CPR Aquatics refugium on my tank, it has a lot of old established matrix, and Marine Pure bio filter blocks in there. So I thought that would help take care of the nitrates. I do have a protein skimmer running too, but I unplug it overnight because it is too loud (tank is in my bedroom) So I need help with what I can do to hopefully lower nitrates and phosphates. Do I need to take out the old Matrix and replace it with new Matrix after a few months? Any tips on media I can use to lower phosphates or nitrates?

Also my clowns fins looked much more pointed than they do compared to just yesterday, I have long fin clowns and my larger ones fins look more pointed than usual. you might be able to see that from the second and fourth picture. My clownfish have also not been eating anything for the past two days, they usually eat just fine, but they stopped and I'm not sure what's going on with my tank. I literally just fed them frozen mysis and brine shrimp, and they barely ate anything, they didn't even seem interested.

I have ordered a new Red Sea tank and I was hoping to have that set up and hopefully I would have better luck with my nitrates and phosphates with the new tank, since it is larger and I will be using better filtration methods with the new tank. But I am waiting for it to be delivered, might take another month or so. I have a bunch of coral and I don't want them to die, but they all seem to be doing fine. I have heard chasing numbers isn't a good thing to do, since my coral seem to be just fine I figured the high nitrates wasn't a problem.

here are a few pics of my fish and the tank.
Thanks.

my tank 1.jpg my tank 2.jpg my tank 3.jpg my tank 4.jpg

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still up the sand and rocks with the flow off and do a large water change. Try pellet food its alot less in waste. I would run the skimmer 24/7 for now.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still up the sand and rocks with the flow off and do a large water change. Try pellet food its alot less in waste. I would run the skimmer 24/7 for now.
Do you think turning off the skimmer every night could cause a tank to crash? One of my clownfish just died, I am going to do a 10 gallon water change tonight and hope for the best tomorrow thank you for the response

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think turning off the skimmer every night could cause a tank to crash? One of my clownfish just died, I am going to do a 10 gallon water change tonight and hope for the best tomorrow thank you for the response
Here’s a pic of my tank currently, it looks cloudy and my skimmer is overflowing

image.jpg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ammonia level?
I measured it today in the morning and it was at .3ppm I’m not sure how bad that is but I’ve never had a problem like this, I think the tank is crashing for some reason, I haven’t done anything wrong or different the past few days. Just bought two new corals and that’s about it

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I measured it today in the morning and it was at .3ppm I’m not sure how bad that is but I’ve never had a problem like this, I think the tank is crashing for some reason, I haven’t done anything wrong or different the past few days. Just bought two new corals and that’s about it

It looks like there is not enough established bacteria in so you are having a cycle. Get some ammonia neutralizer asap as well as some bottle bacteria and just add that both every day for week.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there is not enough established bacteria in so you are having a cycle. Get some ammonia neutralizer asap as well as some bottle bacteria and just add that both every day for week.
All I have is ammonia chloride used for cycling. I do have bottle of fritz turbo start, should I dose that anemia and the turbo start? My tank is over a year old, not sure why this is happening

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do a water change at all or just dose new bacteria?

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
All I have is ammonia chloride used for cycling. I do have bottle of fritz turbo start, should I dose that anemia and the turbo start? My tank is over a year old, not sure why this is happening
Do NOT dose ammonia chloride. Dose the turbo start Just dump the whole bottle in today and you should be good.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT dose ammonia chloride. Dose the turbo start Just dump the whole bottle in today and you should be good.
Okay I dosed the bottle of bacteria and it seems like it is going to be alright. But quick question, what causes a tank to not have enough established bacteria? My tank has been running for more than a year, I have marine life blocks in my filter and a ton of rocks, so I don’t understand why this happened. If anyone can explain why this might happen I would appreciate it.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say unless you wacth the tank daily. I would add a refugium to host pods if u dont have one already. This was obviously cause by an ammonia spike from something and it was just too much for your tank to handle on it's own. I would try to fit more places for bacteria to live as well. It's really weird that a tank at this age would have a random ammonia spike. Something must have died for this to happen.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Okay I dosed the bottle of bacteria and it seems like it is going to be alright. But quick question, what causes a tank to not have enough established bacteria? My tank has been running for more than a year, I have marine life blocks in my filter and a ton of rocks, so I don’t understand why this happened. If anyone can explain why this might happen I would appreciate it.
It can happen when the bacteria population cant keep up with whatever is polluting the tank. So if you had a relatively low nutrient low bacteria tank and something dies then it will not handle it and there will be a mini cycle. Just keep an eye on your nitrate and phosphate now its going to soar you may need to some water changes to keep it down.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say unless you wacth the tank daily. I would add a refugium to host pods if u dont have one already. This was obviously cause by an ammonia spike from something and it was just too much for your tank to handle on it's own. I would try to fit more places for bacteria to live as well. It's really weird that a tank at this age would have a random ammonia spike. Something must have died for this to happen.
Do you think if a small fish dies it can cause this to happen? I’ve also had a bunch of snails die randomly over the past few days, so would that cause this spike or bacteria bloom to happen? I have 2 blocks of marine pure biofilter media in my hang on the back filter, which is almost 3 gallons large, but I was told that maybe it does not have a high turn over rate with the flow coming through that filter.
The guys at my local fish store also said that maybe I did not have enough oxygen in the tank, that I didn’t have enough surface agitation for the water, and my filter was not filtering my tank as fast as it should because of the filter, which is weird because i never had a problem with the filter before. Since the tank is in my bedroom, I have sprayed deodorant in the room so that may have gotten into the tank and caused that too maybe?
I just want to figure out what happened and how I can prevent this from happening again.
Thanks.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think if a small fish dies it can cause this to happen? I’ve also had a bunch of snails die randomly over the past few days, so would that cause this spike or bacteria bloom to happen? I have 2 blocks of marine pure biofilter media in my hang on the back filter, which is almost 3 gallons large, but I was told that maybe it does not have a high turn over rate with the flow coming through that filter.
The guys at my local fish store also said that maybe I did not have enough oxygen in the tank, that I didn’t have enough surface agitation for the water, and my filter was not filtering my tank as fast as it should because of the filter, which is weird because i never had a problem with the filter before. Since the tank is in my bedroom, I have sprayed deodorant in the room so that may have gotten into the tank and caused that too maybe?
I just want to figure out what happened and how I can prevent this from happening again.
Thanks.
If your snails are dying randomly check ur mag.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could have a host of issues... what are you using for new salt water? if you're using RODI, maybe you have a bad filter allowing chlorine or other baddies in. if that is definitely not the issue, do a large water change, run carbon, and make sure you take out all dead things (eg. snails) they pollute a ton. to be honest a large (LARGE) water change will temporarily fix just about anything. you still need to figure out what the real issue is... maybe you have something rusting in the tank... good luck.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ammonia is at .3, then your fish are seriously stressed out and need relief soon or they will die. The tank is now in an ammonia cycle. Get to your LFS this AM and get some ammonia detoxifier such as Amquel. And as has been suggested, also get some bottle bacteria culture (such as Fritz Aquatics Turbo Start). And then you need to find out if there is a lot of dead stuff in the tank and remove it as best you can; dead matter can really play havoc in an aquarium.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back