My clownfish has been excreting powder?

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked up to my tank and was greeted by my clowns as usual but I saw my female was shedding something that looked like white powder. I have been dealing with a small case of ich and it has been dying out (looks like the female is the only one that has spots left, and there are like 3 and there small). I just did a water change on Thursday so it can’t be that and the only thing that I dose is reef medic (peroxide salt) I have a 20 gallon cube. Can someone please tell me what is wrong.

615B4F5D-2035-41E7-B638-192F1A535C1B.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Possibly the slime coat coming off or did it have sand dust stuck to it from scratching (flashing) on the sand in the tank?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an added issue maybe.
I see both the clowns are at the water surface.
Did you just feed when you took the picture?

I am just wondering if there is a lack of oxygen in the water.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those clowns look too skinny.

How long have you had them? How well and often do they eat? What is your Ammonia level ? How old is the tank? How much circulation do you have in the tank / are you running a skimmer? What other animals are in the tank and how are they?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked up to my tank and was greeted by my clowns as usual but I saw my female was shedding something that looked like white powder. I have been dealing with a small case of ich and it has been dying out (looks like the female is the only one that has spots left, and there are like 3 and there small). I just did a water change on Thursday so it can’t be that and the only thing that I dose is reef medic (peroxide salt) I have a 20 gallon cube. Can someone please tell me what is wrong.

615B4F5D-2035-41E7-B638-192F1A535C1B.jpeg
Hi, is that a shadow on this fish’s nape or is it really thin? It seems severely emaciated to me.

Jay

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had them? How well and often do they eat? What is your Ammonia level ? How old is the tank? How much circulation do you have in the tank / are you running a skimmer? What other animals are in the tank and how are they?
Hi, is that a shadow on this fish’s nape or is it really thin? It seems severely emaciated to me.

Jay
Yeah I just found out it wasn’t powder it was poop and that means it’s internal parasites. She wasn’t thin a while ago in fact I was worried she was eating too much and not leaving some for my other fish. I’m getting prazipro and treating the entire tank. I know it isn’t 100% good for the tank but I’m prepared to lose a my 2 sps to save even just that fish. She was my first one and pulled through moving tanks, a massive sand cloud, and a big ich outbreak. If she can survive for a day then I can get what she needs. Hopefully I have her for a long time to come.

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an added issue maybe.
I see both the clowns are at the water surface.
Did you just feed when you took the picture?

I am just wondering if there is a lack of oxygen in the water.
I got a 6-line wrasse and a court jester goby in there that are fine and no I didn’t feed but they always come up hoping I will.

I’ve had the female for 3 months and the male for 2-3 weeks, they eat once a day but I feed A LOT I crush up some flakes for the small clown because he can’t eat pellets, I throw in some bigger flakes and some pellet food for my wrasse and female clown. Ammonia is at 0. Tank is ~3 1/2 months old. I have the return pump on full blast 185gph and a 425gph powerhead. No I need to get a skimmer. I have 3 crabs, a snail, an urchin, a court jester goby and a 6-line wrasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish is very under-nourished and I question if its eating and if so,, what you are feeding ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s internal parasites and I feed flakes pellets and Mysis every once in a while
They need more than that. Hoperfully you are treating with PraziPro and for food:
Flakes acceptable
Spirulina Brine shrimp
LRS Fish frenzy
Small plankton
Mysis (also good)
New Era Sm pellets

Add Garlic extract to food 2x per week and selcon or similar vitamins 2-3X per week

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need more than that. Hoperfully you are treating with PraziPro and for food:
Flakes acceptable
Spirulina Brine shrimp
LRS Fish frenzy
Small plankton
Mysis (also good)
New Era Sm pellets

Add Garlic extract to food 2x per week and selcon or similar vitamins 2-3X per week
Lol I worded that badly I meant I feed flakes and pellets once a day and Mysis every once in a while. I also feed a a lot (more flakes than pellets).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But yeah I’ll treat the tank with prazi and feed some different things and feed more reef roids
Just assuring you know reef roids Is Coral food - Yes ?

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just assuring you know reef roids Is Coral food - Yes ?
Yeah but is made primarily of marine plankton and I’ve added a little to water and the food and I’ve seen no bad side effects. It also keeps my wrasse away from some of the food so the clowns can eat

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is a good solid source of protean, It should be a staple for clowns.

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately she didn’t make the night. Found her at the bottom of the sand bead motionless. Brought her up to the surface and she still wasn’t moving. I couldn’t get the Meds in time. I feel so bad.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear that - (I'm partially guessing here) - I'm gonna say you have several potential things going on that you should address.

The clowns being that thin seems like internal parasites of some sort - consider treating with API General Cure - soak food along with Focus to hopefully treat for those.

You mentioned ich - you need to decide if you want to try to eliminate that or manage it

Your description of your fish initially makes me wonder if you have brook or velvet in the tank as well.

I would do some research and determine how you want to work with whatever is in your tank - keeping in mind the wrasse can be hard to medicate.

There is a fish disease section here at reef2reef - consider spending some time reading the information in the stickies in that forum.

Back