My clownfish is sick

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my black ocellaris clownfish is sick, but I can’t identify the disease. It has been staying at the sand bed gasping, and hasnt eaten in four days. Please help me to identify the disease.

My tank is a new 20g waterbox cube, cycle completed on 11/28. Added one regular and one black ocellaris clownfish on 12/5 (no quarantine). I added 3hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snails on 12/15, and I don’t have any corals.

tank parameter:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Salinity 1.024 sg
Temp 79F

Attachments

• IMG_1339.MOV
    22.1 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    23.5 MB
OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the clownfish faded to a pale yellow a day ago, but the color came back when I check on him today. Also, my other clownfish is swimming and eating fine.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my black ocellaris clownfish is sick, but I can’t identify the disease. It has been staying at the sand bed gasping, and hasnt eaten in four days. Please help me to identify the disease.

My tank is a new 20g waterbox cube, cycle completed on 11/28. Added one regular and one black ocellaris clownfish on 12/5 (no quarantine). I added 3hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snails on 12/15, and I don’t have any corals.

tank parameter:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Salinity 1.024 sg
Temp 79F
Hi, the videos didn’t come across. I have 2 black & white clownfish that are almost 5 years old. They got sick last spring. Well, they actually lost their eyesight and stopped eating. How many days did you cycle your tank? No anemones?
Is he on his side swimming vertically? Not that doing that is bad, just curious. That is what mine do without an anemone,
I think they try to host with something.
Have you done water changes? What is your pH? Did you contact the shop that you got them from and talk with them about what the water parameters were in their old environment? What did they feed him? What and how have you tried to feed him? Clownfish can live many days without eating. Have you considered a freshwater dip to see if he has parasites? This is a good forum to ask this question. Start researching different things that may be wrong.
“When you hear Hoofbeats, think Horses, then Zebras, then Unicorns.”
Keep trying to figure out what it is that is wrong and use your best common sense to treat him organically. He will continue to live if you take care of him. Best of luck to the both of you. I am going to watch this thread and hope I can help. Julie Lynn

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the clownfish faded to a pale yellow a day ago, but the color came back when I check on him today. Also, my other clownfish is swimming and eating fine.
Pale yellow on the white part? Wow, that doesn’t sound good. Poor little guy. I’m really sorry. It’s hard to see them like that, but they can come back. I have brought many fishes back from illnesses. I have a book on Clownfishes. I’ll look up illnesses and get back to you.
Keep going...

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pale yellow on the white part? Wow, that doesn’t sound good. Poor little guy. I’m really sorry. It’s hard to see them like that, but they can come back. I have brought many fishes back from illnesses. I have a book on Clownfishes. I’ll look up illnesses and get back to you.
Keep going...
Check this out...Brooklynella.
If this guy makes it through the night, there will be a ton of reefers tomorrow morning that know way more than I do that will be able to help you. Take this information merely as a thought not as a suggestion. See the photos...

Attachments

• 26FB690F-4EAF-4A8D-B983-E11524096CCF.jpeg
    26FB690F-4EAF-4A8D-B983-E11524096CCF.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 372D90EE-E033-4D17-B92C-A9570C4B13E3.jpeg
    372D90EE-E033-4D17-B92C-A9570C4B13E3.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 49

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this guy makes it through the night, there will be a ton of reefers tomorrow morning that know way more than I do that will be able to help you. Take this information merely as a thought not as a suggestion. See the photos...
This is the book.

Attachments

• 636B75C9-7402-46BC-8F84-419A63CCEC8F.jpeg
    636B75C9-7402-46BC-8F84-419A63CCEC8F.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the videos didn’t come across. I have 2 black & white clownfish that are almost 5 years old. They got sick last spring. Well, they actually lost their eyesight and stopped eating. How many days did you cycle your tank? No anemones?
Is he on his side swimming vertically? Not that doing that is bad, just curious. That is what mine do without an anemone,
I think they try to host with something.
Have you done water changes? What is your pH? Did you contact the shop that you got them from and talk with them about what the water parameters were in their old environment? What did they feed him? What and how have you tried to feed him? Clownfish can live many days without eating. Have you considered a freshwater dip to see if he has parasites? This is a good forum to ask this question. Start researching different things that may be wrong.
“When you hear Hoofbeats, think Horses, then Zebras, then Unicorns.”
Keep trying to figure out what it is that is wrong and use your best common sense to treat him organically. He will continue to live if you take care of him. Best of luck to the both of you. I am going to watch this thread and hope I can help. Julie Lynn
I am sorry to hear. my tank let the tank cycle for two weeks before adding fish. The tank's PH is 8. I fed them PE pellets twice a day before this happened. I actually performed a freshwater dip for 3mins after reading the posts on this forum, and I didn't find any white particles drop, but the fish stays the same, gasping, staying at the same spot, no appetite. I am going to ask the store where I bought the fish from about their water parameters. Really appreciate your Help!

OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the pages, the symptoms matches what the book says, I really think it is Brook. I did some research about brook, it seems like I need to give the fish a formalin bath, but the only formalin product I have is the Blue Life USA safety stop fish dip. Additionally, I don't have an extra tank for quarantine. Thank you so much for the information!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the pages, the symptoms matches what the book says, I really think it is Brook. I did some research about brook, it seems like I need to give the fish a formalin bath, but the only formalin product I have is the Blue Life USA safety stop fish dip. Additionally, I don't have an extra tank for quarantine. Thank you so much for the information!
The rapid breathing and folded fins is definitely a sign of a protozoan disease. The lack of mucus coating steers me away from Brook, but the fact that the fish is still alive steers me away from diagnosing it as velvet. In either case, though, not having a treatment/quarantine tank severely limits your ability to treat it. The only thing I can suggest is possibly trying Ruby Reef Rally Pro.

Jay

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you might have a starting point. Maybe you could put a little quarantine tank together? I hope it all works out.
I know that it will be worth it in the end. I’ve been reading about Anemones. Fascinating creatures and so beautiful. Take care. Julie

OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing and folded fins is definitely a sign of a protozoan disease. The lack of mucus coating steers me away from Brook, but the fact that the fish is still alive steers me away from diagnosing it as velvet. In either case, though, not having a treatment/quarantine tank severely limits your ability to treat it. The only thing I can suggest is possibly trying Ruby Reef Rally Pro.

Jay
Thank you for the suggestion Jay! The fish didn’t make it . I am going to set up a QT today! I don’t want to experience this again.

OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you might have a starting point. Maybe you could put a little quarantine tank together? I hope it all works out.
I know that it will be worth it in the end. I’ve been reading about Anemones. Fascinating creatures and so beautiful. Take care. Julie
Thank you Julie! Unfortunately, the fish didnt make it. I am going to set up a QT today, gonna buy a 10g tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the QT set up, can I use ICH X to treat the other remaining fish? @Jay Hemdal
Ich X is listed as being formalin and malachite green. Back in the day, I didn't have much success using those compounds to treat marine ich, but they do work well for freshwater ich. I stopped using that formulation (we called it formalite) about 20 years ago and now only use copper.

Jay

OP
OP
clbom

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich X is listed as being formalin and malachite green. Back in the day, I didn't have much success using those compounds to treat marine ich, but they do work well for freshwater ich. I stopped using that formulation (we called it formalite) about 20 years ago and now only use copper.

Jay
Thank you! I will purchase some copper.

Back