My Clownfish loves a Silicone tip anemone

The Rasta Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your clownfish refused every anemone or are you simply tired of removing those cute bubble tips that have a mind of their own? Naturalistic micro habitats for saltwater reef tanks, provide marine aquarists with creative fish safe options, which for example, can eliminate the challenge of adding splitting bubble tip anemones for clownfish as demonstrated in the following video.

It’s 2016 and my mentor gave me everything to build the family’s first saltwater aquarium which my kids were excited to stock. A T5 light on a wall timer with dual canister filters made the decorative seascape seem alive, much to the children’s delight even way before we added fish.

2016 tank.png

Fast forward to 2020 where I’m once again redesigning a kid approved seascape called Blue Lagoon, when to my amazement and for the first time ever in 4 years have we seen our clownfish showing such love for what is now it's new special place:

hosting.png

So where did the idea come from to add Aquatop's silicone tip anemone? Apart from me being stuck on designing aquariums for the kids as well as feeling a sense of calm from just watching the realistic movements of the seascape in the under current, I became curious one night after observing said clownfish hanging out “hostingly” close to this synthetic seagrass

clown apr26.jpeg

A few weeks later, the synthetic plants were showing some deterioration in the new high flow from the WAV pump, so it was time to look for something more suitable to the changes that were being made.

leaf surface may8.jpeg

This plastic type is far less superior to the silicone variety:

plastic Leaf apr30.jpeg

2 leaves may8.jpeg

The silicone tip anemone was added May 14, 2020 while the lights were still being adjusted which caused an algae film to entirely cover the extended tentacles. However, just as it started to change colour, a number of Asterina (starfish) appeared and dined on it, keeping it clean for several months on end, negating the need to remove it for cleaning.

Before lights:
silicone clean.jpeg

During light testing:
algae silicone.png

After Asterina cleanup crew:

Asterina.png

I hope to encourage the manufacture and use of realistic reef safe micro habitats, as I’ve undoubtedly seen new and interesting behaviour from all livestock in tanks with and without them right across the city. When kids participate from the beginning, they remain interested longer and are more likely to get involved.

Kids doing water tests:

kids testing.JPG

Follow the tank Build journey here:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I like the concept, I have a pair of clownfish that love their bubbletip but when their home decides to wander I do consider rehoming the pair and their coral killing anemone. I'm not ready for an artificial solution yet but it is interesting to thing about the advantages of a habitat that can survive without light or food and that will not wandering into an overflow or powerhead and add stress to the artificial reef in the process.

Mental Health Feelings GIF by UNICEF

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great in a brand new tank. However fast forward 6 months and what does it become? The thing that provides beauty to a reef tank is maturity, not instant gratification. What do all of those artificial components look like when nature takes over?

OP
OP
The Rasta Reefer

The Rasta Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great in a brand new tank. However fast forward 6 months and what does it become? The thing that provides beauty to a reef tank is maturity, not instant gratification. What do all of those artificial components look like when nature takes over?
Understood about maturity but it's a family tank and you know kids :) as for how it looks 6 months later, well the last picture posted does it justice as the snails, crabs, starfish, urchin and fish like the Sailfin Mollies and even the Starry Blenny all seem to take turns keeping these silicone micro habitats clean. I haven't had to remove them for cleaning since the tank matured and nature took its course.

OP
OP
The Rasta Reefer

The Rasta Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I like the concept, I have a pair of clownfish that love their bubbletip but when their home decides to wander I do consider rehoming the pair and their coral killing anemone. I'm not ready for an artificial solution yet but it is interesting to thing about the advantages of a habitat that can survive without light or food and that will not wandering into an overflow or powerhead and add stress to the artificial reef in the process.

Mental Health Feelings GIF by UNICEF
I've had the wandering anemone in several of the reef tanks I've managed too but honestly the hosting was a surprise and unexpected behaviour. Only glad I was able to capture it on video. Oh guess I didn't mention that I caught one of the Banggai cardinalfish in there a few times too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back