My clownfish seems lonely or bored (15 gallon)

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, yes this is a cycled tank.

Got my clownfish 3 days ago, he just kinda wiggles in between the rock cave most of the time. The damsels are (passive) having a good amount of fun exploring, going into rock work, riding the currents etc.

Is the clownfish lonely or just needs an acclimation time?

Ive only had a 75 gallon LOOONG tank before and didnt have to worry about my fish getting bored or lonely

IMG_5564.jpg

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, yes this is a cycled tank.

Got my clownfish 3 days ago, he just kinda wiggles in between the rock cave most of the time. The damsels are (passive) having a good amount of fun exploring, going into rock work, riding the currents etc.

Is the clownfish lonely or just needs an acclimation time?

Ive only had a 75 gallon LOOONG tank before and didnt have to worry about my fish getting bored or lonely

IMG_5564.jpg
Hi I don't know if I should be replying yet since I'm a new member but I had a lonely clown fish also got him another one and he or she could care less you do know that you have to get one either bigger or smaller than the one you already have so they can just establish who's going to be male and female anyway the one that I was worried about my little Picasso clown fell in love with my Elegance Coral so the other clownfish is on his own. Hope this helps.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably is but I can say that they get really appreciative as time goes on and corals / inverts / fish are added especially anemone though your far from that. I would swear my little damsal not only isn’t afraid of my hand bt likes me they learn you are their source of food and if anything ever goes wrong and you successfully fix the situation they seem to comprehend that as well.

I added another damsal to give him a friend but turned into a bully and after removing him into the hang on back the smaller original damsal seems beyond happy. (He use to be confined to the corner)

Feed WIDE varieties of foods change the flow up as much as you can this is good for learning anyways even different light intensities change how the fish act. One day I’ll have an AI Prime and I’m definitely using storm mode : P

Get all the equipment silent if possible I’m sure they don’t like that but the ocean is noisey too

It may be rough now but they’re happier than being at the fish store lol

My damsal likes pecking at snails on the glass

I’ve also heard amino acids/ vitamins can change howfish act after all human emotions can sometimes be chemical imbalances etc

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single clowns in both tanks I have setup. They never stray far from their preferred spot in the tank. Perfectly normal clown behavior. It most likely found it's spot and may not move far from there.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully a fish whisperer can chime in, but I don’t think something like boredom applies to fish. It may just be protecting itself from the other fish, and running on basic survival instincts

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish
Hopefully a fish whisperer can chime in, but I don’t think something like boredom applies to fish. It may just be protecting itself from the other fish, and running on basic survival instincts
fish can get bored/sad/lonely
its been discovered they have the same complex neural structures needed for emotion

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right at a basic survival level energy is spent on three things, 1.) maintaining cell funcition 2.) finding/eating food and if both those needs are met 3.) mating. I’d guess if all these are taken care of there’s nothing else to do but have fun : D please correct if wrong I couldn’t find the source I’m remembering this from.

I have seen them interact with shrimp gobies (seemed to be messing with him) on some YouTube video.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish

fish can get bored/sad/lonely
its been discovered they have the same complex neural structures needed for emotion
I'm not sure about that my Tang lets me pet him and likes it I should get a video of that don't know for sure how to download it one here though

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about that my Tang lets me pet him and likes it I should get a video of that don't know for sure how to download it one here though
thats more reason for what i say if it was just natural reaction hed run to protect himself he recognizes you

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plz get a video of this : D I’m super into the non quantifiable aspects of reefing : )))

Something that has stuck with me since I first saw it was a fishofhex video on YouTube watching his tang swim around and actually looked happy swimming like dory darting across the tank I tried going through his videos to find it again but gave up : /

I feel less than 1% of fish in tanks are actually content lol but this might be because captive breds haven’t experienced the reality of constant predation

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plz get a video of this : D I’m super into the non quantifiable aspects of reefing : )))

Something that has stuck with me since I first saw it was a fishofhex video on YouTube watching his tang swim around and actually looked happy swimming like dory darting across the tank I tried going through his videos to find it again but gave up : /

I feel less than 1% of fish in tanks are actually content lol but this might be because captive breds haven’t experienced the reality of constant predation
I think were both on the right track. But I thought he was going to bite when I was moving some frags, but then it happened. His eyes and lips met mine...lol touched him now he's always up my butt coconut. Following me from each side of the tank. He's probably just wants to be fed. :/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clowns do well by themselves unless theyre the ONLY fish in the tank and boredom sets in

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a midnight ocellaris clown by itself in my tank and it never moved from the corner. Got a yellow banded possum wrasse and now they are best friends and swim all over the tank together! I call them Romeo and Juliet because they have a forbidden love. I can definitely say that my clown seemed a lot lonelier before I introduced my wrasse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back