My clowns are going to be parents. What do I do.

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a orange and black clown for 2 years. They been hosting this big finger leather. Yesterday I notice an orange patch on the rock next to with the male clown doing its thing. I would like to do my best effort on saving the babies but have no idea what to do or where to start.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is quite a bit involve with raising the babies. They need small live food at first like rotifers. They have to be removed from the main tank with right before they hatch or as they hatch. I used 2.5 gallon glass tanks with air stones set to a gentle bubble in them to raise the fry. I would add rotifers twice a day and change about 20 % of the water every couple of days...... or maybe everyday I can’t remember. It’s been about 15 years or so. You should be able to find some really good guides online for this. It is a very involved process but it isn’t really too difficult. And to me it was worth it for the experience. Raise about 5 clutches and had a dismal survival rate lol. If memory serves only about 10 fry survived out of the 80 or so eggs each hatching. That may be an optimistic number too.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise them with brine shrimp and green water alone. The yield won't be high but it is doable. The real question is if it is worth the effort.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back